Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Marlett
United States
flag msg tools
Wherever You Go, There You Are
With no certain future, and no purpose other than to prevail
Fortress Nashville and Memphis:

It is appealing to build fortresses in Memphis and Nashville for the Confederates, and defend them with AoM and AoT respectively. Nashville is very difficult to defend, as the major rivers serve the Union navy, preventing AoM and AoT from supporting each other. Nashville is also easy to knock out of supply. The AoM will have a difficult time retreating from Memphis, which will fall with proper Union attention. I'm thinking Chattanooga and Vicksburg present better entrenchment spots. Of course, maybe I am just a slave to history. Deeper defense by the Confederates should allow more room for cavalry raid high-jinks, and prevent a tricky Union maneouver that makes you retreat from the fortress for free.

New Orleans/New Bern:

NO is actually difficult to take if the Confederates dig in. With 6 SP and a fort, the swamp of NO can't really be taken by anything short of an Army. Best to take it before this happens, if you are the Union. New Bern works the same way.

Once the Mississippi river is in Union hands, Confederate defense of these states is very difficult. The Union navy can sever rail lines on the Tombigbee, Alabama, Chattahoochee, and Savannah Rivers. Check out the Confederate rail net and see how to get 9VP of citys connected once there are Union ships blocking these rivers. You can defend once with the depot, then you need to run. With the Mississippi lost, building depots, forts, and fortesses is almost impossible, given that you need to keep moving troops.

If anyone knows how to make headroom in this state when REL is around, please let me know. As the Union, I would be happy if nothing happens in this state. Grafton south is a supply mess, Fort Monroe is stuck against a swamp, and AoP versus REL is an invitation to have an initiative flip-flop lead to a 1 vs. 6 SP debacle.

Cavalry Raids:

The only use I can see to these are slowing down Armies using rail supply, and forcing the Union to leave garrisons behind. If the Union is careful with depots, sea supply lines, and garrisons, there probably isn't anything to be gained with this. Of course, in a two-player game, mistakes get made, and you might really knock the union around with a good raid. Given the good balance I think this game has, slowing the Grant/Sherman juggernaught for 1 turn could meen the difference.

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.