Fallout» Forums » Rules

Subject: Actions Effecting Multiple Quest Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Lufcy
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
If there are multiple quest cards with out quest icons that says something like (Kill any Robot), and I kill a robot, do i succeed at one of the cards or all that say kill a robot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say all of them and resolve in the order of your choosing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vini .
msg tools
If multiple active quests have a shared condition, I'd say they are completed in the order that they became active, one at a time. So if there are two active quests that share the condition "Kill any Robot", then killing any robot will complete the first quest with that condition. Another robot would need to be killed to complete the second quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vinifera7 wrote:
If multiple active quests have a shared condition, I'd say they are completed in the order that they became active, one at a time. So if there are two active quests that share the condition "Kill any Robot", then killing any robot will complete the first quest with that condition. Another robot would need to be killed to complete the second quest.

I have to disagree...

Learn To Play wrote:
If an objective does not have a quest icon, you complete the quest
automatically when you fulfill the objective’s requirements.

It doesn't say anything like "you complete the quest with that requirement that was staged first". I don't see a case against each quest with that same objective being completed simultaneously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vini .
msg tools
csouth154 wrote:
It doesn't say anything like "you complete the quest with that requirement that was staged first". I don't see a case against each quest with that same objective being completed simultaneously.

The rules don't specify either way, so of course there's no case against your interpretation. In the absence of official rules to govern this situation, it's necessary to invent some rules.

Another way you could handle it is to allow the player to choose which quest he wants to complete when the requirements for completion are met.

It doesn't seem unreasonable that a player can only complete one quest at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vinifera7 wrote:
The rules don't specify either way, so of course there's no case against your interpretation.

My intepretation is based on what the rules do say, not what they don't. The rules say that if you complete a quest's requirement, you resolve that quest. It makes no difference how many quests are staged that have that same requirement. In the absence of a rule that instructs otherwise, you resolve all of them.

Rules cannot possibly tell you everything you can't do, they can only tell you what you can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at it another way, let's say we jave two quests. Both have an objective to kill a super-mutant enemy. The story behind one is that it's terrorizing a settlement. The story behind the other is that a scientist wants a blood sample. Why doesn't it seem reasonable that killing one super-mutant should complete both quests?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Either way seems fine for me.

The question is if this situation arises often or not? If not i would allow it.

Completing all such quests at once may pretty much define the rest of the game if that player gains a big lead with it, so there might be reason enough to only allow one quest to be completed each time.

I guess its up to houserule

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noki Hola
Sweden
Hallsberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
Either way seems fine for me.

The question is if this situation arises often or not? If not i would allow it.

Completing all such quests at once may pretty much define the rest of the game if that player gains a big lead with it, so there might be reason enough to only allow one quest to be completed each time.

I guess its up to houserule

Think its going to happen alot in The Capital Wasteland Scenario since the setup gives you card #44 that within just two steps trigger the effect of two very common requirements in two diffrent quest. In this case you ”only” recieve 1+1 agenda cards for killing a level 1 monster, but what if two quests moves star and shield faction tokens without any chance to choose which quest to follow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That came up for me when I had one quest that triggered for killing a humanoid/raider and one that triggered if I killed an enemy with a loot token. I had one attack me who had a loot token. I killed him and I triggered both quests one at a time.

Given the triggers of some of these quests you might have to wait a LONG time for that trigger to come up again if it's something more specific, like a sentry bot for instance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I kill a robot who attacks me, I should not be forced to build a radio to contact the Institute if I am secretly scoring points for the Railroad. It also stands to reason that if I kill a supermutant threatening a town, I needn't go seek the reward if I am not interested in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if your actions trigger a card (or multiple cards) you have no choice but to trigger the cards. Maybe I'm wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.