13 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Push Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian "Viper"
Canada
flag msg tools
So I was pushed by a wind Demon and is “further way” considered moving down the map even if it’s the same amount of hexes away? I have a valid space that is 4 hexes away but technically the square I’m in is further away because it’s down the board. Also, if I’m pushed into a wall will the push change direction and push me along the wall or will I just stop against the wall?
Thank you for the answers ahead of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Away means that the range between the pusher and its target is longer after the push.

A push does not have to happen in a straight line as long as the above is true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian "Viper"
Canada
flag msg tools
But if the center of the tile I was in before is now further away in real life measurements, is that not considered further away? Even if they are still the same number of hexes away

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xchristian360x wrote:
But if the center of the tile I was in before is now further away in real life measurements, is that not considered further away? Even if they are still the same number of hexes away

No. The pushed character needs to be more hexes away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xchristian360x wrote:

No, all measurements for range and distance is done by counting hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Politis
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When pushed, you would count the number of hexes between you and the pusher. Then you'd count the distance for all adjacent hexes you can legally enter. Then you choose to move to any of the hexes that are higher than your original distance. If you haven't reached the end of the push, then you repeat the above.

In this way, you can legally makeover yourself so as to end the push early. Just a the path that ends with no legal farther away hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jpolitis wrote:
When pushed, you would count the number of hexes between you and the pusher. Then you'd count the distance for all adjacent hexes you can legally enter. Then you choose to move to any of the hexes that are higher than your original distance. If you haven't reached the end of the push, then you repeat the above.

In this way, you can legally makeover yourself so as to end the push early. Just a the path that ends with no legal farther away hex.

So "further" or "closer" is defined by proximity, not path length?

This was a question that arose when a monster standing behind a table was to be pulled to the player. We came to conclusion that even if the monster's path is shorter when it's being pulled "along" the table, it is not closer according to proximity rules so it can't be pulled in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note that the rules look for "further" and "closer" as the crow flies, even over obstacles. They don't consider the distance a character would actually move on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Erlandsson
msg tools
woodnoggin wrote:
Also note that the rules look for "further" and "closer" as the crow flies, even over obstacles. They don't consider the distance a character would actually move on the map.

Apart from Ranged Attacks I think everything in Gloomhaven is counted in path-length not proximity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Roaas
Norway
Kongsberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first tiebreaker when determining focus uses proximity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always played it by proximity and I believe that is the design intent. It has never occurred to me to play it by walking path length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there's some confusion here:

"Proximity" could mean distance measured by number of hexes, or by ruler. Gloomhaven never requires measuring precise distances, it ALWAYS uses the number of hexes away to determine proximity. (otherwise, you'd have to define where in the hex each monster/character is, and that's just ridiculous)

A push must always move the pushed thing one hex further away from the pusher at each step.

A pull must always move the pulled thing one hex nearer to the puller at each step. If an obstacle prevents it from actually getting a hex further/nearer, then it will stop moving.

By contrast, Path Length is used to determine focus, because that thing needs to move around obstacles in order to attack.

Ex: Hero is separated from non-flying monster by a table -- the Monster's path around the table is 4 hexes, but the monster is only 2 hexes away from the hero. The monster will move around the table to focus and attack on the hero (using path length), but unless a pull specifically allows for pulling into obstacles, will not be pull-able, because no adjacent hexes are closer than 2 away from the hero (proximity).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Willottica wrote:
I think there's some confusion here:

"Proximity" could mean distance measured by number of hexes, or by ruler. Gloomhaven never requires measuring precise distances, it ALWAYS uses the number of hexes away to determine proximity. (otherwise, you'd have to define where in the hex each monster/character is, and that's just ridiculous)

A push must always move the pushed thing one hex further away from the pusher at each step.

A pull must always move the pulled thing one hex nearer to the puller at each step. If an obstacle prevents it from actually getting a hex further/nearer, then it will stop moving.

By contrast, Path Length is used to determine focus, because that thing needs to move around obstacles in order to attack.

Ex: Hero is separated from non-flying monster by a table -- the Monster's path around the table is 4 hexes, but the monster is only 2 hexes away from the hero. The monster will move around the table to focus and attack on the hero (using path length), but unless a pull specifically allows for pulling into obstacles, will not be pull-able, because no adjacent hexes are closer than 2 away from the hero (proximity).

By proximity I mean the number of physical hexes between the source and target. As you say, the game never uses a ruler to measure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.