World in Flames» Forums » General

Subject: Question about editions (solo) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivan Sorensen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I've seen a few people opine that WiF is a fun "monster" game to try solo and I used to own a copy, though I sold it off since at the time I didn't have room to play it and leave it set up.

Are there significant differences between versions/editions as far as solo suitability goes or does it matter which one I try to track down?

Also, how much physical table space do I need for the map?

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Any edition of WIF is well suited for solo play.

Physical space needed will depend on what edition you play. Final Edition and the upcoming Collector's Edition are about the same and earlier versions take up a bit less room IIRC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do view WiFFE as a 'Monster' game - kind of - but it is different from most. Monster games like 'War in Europe' or Drang Nach Osten can have over a thousand pieces on a concentrated front.

One reason I really like WiF in its incarnations is that these games are NOT like that.

I view it as having many fronts, each with a manageable number of units; the China - Japan front has maybe 50 units. The submarine war pits maybe 10-20 German/Italian subs against some 50 units. The strat bombing campaign has maybe 15-20 units. The largest theater, the German/Soviet front, has maybe 200 units in deluxe. What makes it a 'monster' is the tying of the fronts together, and the strategic and production choices.

And this is (for me) what makes solitaire manageable. The hardest part of solitaire for me as I age is keeping track of where I am, what I have done last session, etc. Even though I take notes and have played for a long time, this is hard. But the modularized nature of the game makes it easier. Finish an impulse, or a front; remember that part; I have to go to bed now, I just finished naval movement on the Pacific map. Each part is manageable. One session can be used for production, one for reorganization. This makes 'game management' much easier.

In terms of playing size, as Wendell said, it is about the same as before; but here, we are aided by technology! I'm not sure how it works form a legal standpoint, but I think if you own the game, you can play Vassal. Vassal effectively takes away the space issue! It also makes it easy to save positions, so that you can try things out and then go back to try others; it can be a wonderful tool.

I do think (at least for me) I do lose something with Vassal; I found touching the pieces, running them down, made the game more intuitive. Of course this can be because I'm an old fogey. But I'm getting more used to it. So even if you have the space, playing with Vassal may be worth a try.

Finally, you can buy the computer game from Matrix.

With these options, I think you really do have a great solitaire game.

I hope you enjoy it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Sorensen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
THanks gang. Now I just gotta find a cheap copy again.

The one I had was a steal for like 30 bucks on ebay, but now they go for an awful lot more. Oof. Lesson learned: Never sell games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Schultz
United Kingdom
Swansea
Swansea
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What edition would you like? I have most for sale, some still in shrink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.