Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Board Games are Old School, I Be Old School
mbmbmbmbmb
Great brains behind it. Interesting worker placement take. Any ideas why it's not drawing more interest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, but Cthulhu Wars doesn't have solo play. Is solo expected now with all euro type games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't buy that game either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Taylor
Australia
ARTARMON
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO the game boards looked too abstract for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not really doing badly - looking at where it is I'd guess it should make 1000+ backers and $100k+

Take out the miniature heavy games and see this as a multiplayer-only, abstract game from a new designer and it's doing well.

Also consider that it's the 3rd or 4th 'play the cult' 'Cthulhu' game to be on KS in the past year or so.

Sure - I'd love it to do better, but I think it's doing fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evidence wrote:
Great brains behind it. Interesting worker placement take. Any ideas why it's not drawing more interest?

I wonder if time of year has a little bit to do with it. I know for me personally I am financially tapped out when it comes to spending extra on stuff I want for myself. Christmas shopping, Thansgiving, holiday house parties, and finally taking advantage of black friday/cyber week sales just killed all my extra disposable income.

Of course saying all that the game is doing very well. It is hovering at $70k and will break $100k easily before all is said and done which is fantastic for any Euro-style game on Kickstarter. I know I personally really want to back it but my budget is blown from the holidays so I know I will be one of the last minute backers if I do back it.

I do think they need a bit more media exposure to help though. Maybe getting it on the hotness could be a huge boost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it's how they're handling Glorantha: The Gods War that lights the red flags. I'm not 100% sure they can still deliver on what's promised, so I'll stay out on upcoming campaigns, until I'm certain that things go ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, one week left and 300% of the funding sounds fine to me.

I'm still on the fence myself. I think that the game looks interesting, but the layout and style of the design elements doesn't quite appeal to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Lavoie
Canada
Les Cedres
QC
flag msg tools
Don't thread on me!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NasosP wrote:
For me, it's how they're handling Glorantha: The Gods War that lights the red flags. I'm not 100% sure they can still deliver on what's promised, so I'll stay out on upcoming campaigns, until I'm certain that things go ok.

For me, two undelivered Kickstarters (Glorantha & OS3) is the limit I'm ready to accept before pledging more money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1K backers is not fantastic for a KS game. It's more like ok. 4K backers seems to be the bar set for fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emylovejay wrote:
NasosP wrote:

For me, two undelivered Kickstarters (Glorantha & OS3) is the limit I'm ready to accept before pledging more money.

You can't really include OS3 in this. That is more like a reprint with one added faction and a few more new minis. OS3 isn't going to hold up the train.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a full game at PAX Unplugged.

While it worked mechanically, it just wasn't that fun. It felt like an accounting exercise in a fancy shell. There was no asymmetry among players and the gameplay was repetitive.

It is not a bad game by any means, but for me a Kickstarter game either needs to be extremely promising, very good, or thematically or mechanically unique. This is none of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there also aren't any exclusives, and CW prided itself on that. looks more like a pre-order system than a campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
emylovejay wrote:
NasosP wrote:

I really need to curb my KS addiction and I am in the same boat. I am a KS backer of Gloranta and OS3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claymore Nash
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
evidence wrote:
there also aren't any exclusives, and CW prided itself on that. looks more like a pre-order system than a campaign.

I'm pretty sure they said they're not doing Exclusives any more since a lot of people don't like them.

Personally I think it hurts a game at retail too. I know I've passed over games I would have otherwise bought since I didn't have any way to get their Kickstarter content. Looking at you Ghostbusters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ReptileViking wrote:
evidence wrote:

I'm pretty sure they said they're not doing Exclusives any more since a lot of people don't like them.

Personally I think it hurts a game at retail too. I know I've passed over games I would have otherwise bought since I didn't have any way to get their Kickstarter content. Looking at you Ghostbusters.

Though, iirc, they've only ever done cosmetic exclusives anyway (which is the right way to do them if you do, indeed, do them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Menger
Germany
Nürnberg
Germany
flag msg tools
Mountainbike
badge
Roadbike
mbmbmbmbmb
Still on the fence.. If I want the plastic miniatures, do I only need one "cultic set" or do I have to buy all of them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Reardon
msg tools
malteh wrote:
Still on the fence.. If I want the plastic miniatures, do I only need one "cultic set" or do I have to buy all of them?

One set contains enough for all 5 players to have their own plastic figs, so one would suffice. Though if you have the new Acolyte figures from Onslaught 3 of Cthulhu Wars, you could always settle for Cultic Pack 3 instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.