Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LJplays wrote:
In any case, deleted my original post here to avoid the impression that...

Now thread makes no sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
Canada
Stoney Creek
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meeple1 wrote:
LJplays wrote:

I know and I am sorry for that. But it's the lesser evil in this case because I don't want to give the wrong impression. Given Matt D's strong response it was very clear that I had. I am hopeful that everything will get worked out. Again, aplogies for the (now) weird thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
LJplays wrote:
Meeple1 wrote:
LJplays wrote:

I know and I am sorry for that. But it's the lesser evil in this case because I don't want to give the wrong impression. Given Matt D's strong response it was very clear that I had. I am hopeful that everything will get worked out. Again, aplogies for the (now) weird thread.

Ok. I'd suggesting also deleting your top comment, since now it just looks like an unprovoked attack on my character.

Also, a word to the wise - whether you realize it or not, when you make a new thread to publicize an issue you are having with an individual user (esp. that is less than two hours old), that is airing laundry in public.

I didn't suggest any of the other stuff you are saying I did - just that stating what you did in this fashion was inappropriate IMO.

I am glad that a night's sleep has led you to that conclusion. One of the main reasons I didn't quote your thread, so that if you chose to remove it you'd be able to do so.

I'll also delete this one as well, once the above from you is deleted.

(Note: All of this could have been avoided if, as I suggested, you geekmailed the handful of people your post was asking information from, instead of making a public open inquiry that they may or may not have read anyway).

Having now read your original post (but not Matt D's first post) I'm more confused. Your original post, IMO, was fine -- not nasty, at all; and, asked a valid question -- functionally, why should you pay $13 more than expected when you complied with the terms of the auction.

Obviously, this has to go to Octavian (more than the public); but, personally, I always value learning which people run auctions in which I'd like to participate; and those whom I'll opt to avoid :/

For some reason, I'm unable to see Matt's first reply to you (the strong one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
Canada
Stoney Creek
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I thought it was fine too but I just wanted to avoid kangaroo court.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the outcome? Are you paying $32 or $19?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
LJplays wrote:
Thanks. I thought it was fine too but I just wanted to avoid kangaroo court.

...says the man who took a dispute with an auction public less than two hours after reaching out to the auctioneer, and then has continued to criticize someone else for suggesting it be done in private.

Stop this now, LJ. I will not accept your further efforts to cast aspersions on my character. Period.

I'm going to request that Octavian delete this entire thread, since you seem to keep needing to have the last word and attack me, so deleting individual posts will not be sufficient.

I didn't see your reply to him; nor his reply to you. I saw the original post and then, him saying he'd deleted his original post.

I agree it should go to Octavian first. I also think it's good to know which users decide to change auction rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know that it's fair though, honestly.

You were allowed to film a video. OP did that, and posted the video.

Now, the original poster of the auction said, "You could roll the dice 200 times and film only the cheapest one; but that's not really in the spirit of the auction." And, that's true.

But, I think - since the original auction permitted the bidders to roll and video; then - the fact that the auctioneer realized after the fact that he *could* do things differently; well, I think that's a good lesson for the *next* auction. Not changing the rules of this one.

The OP looks to have his cost of the game rise from $19 to $32 -- that doesn't seem particularly fair. Maybe a rule of "If you didn't film a video; my roll prevails."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact, three people rolled their own dice (as the OP's original rules stated). All three would be paying higher amounts with the new die rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
OK though... I misunderstood the issue last night (wasn't really paying attention). I thought the video posted was by the seller, not the winner. He had a great roll and (as the outbid person), I *DO* think the seller needs to honor the originally (and still) stated die rolling method. He even says in the rules of the auction that it's about fun and not about making money and *IF* someone cheated, which I don't think the winner did, the seller didn't care.

Since the confusion is 100% the fault of the seller, he should let the winner off the hook and not have to buy the item (or sell for the $13 price tag), especially since the amount increased quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
Canada
Stoney Creek
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:

Stop this now, LJ. I will not accept your further efforts to cast aspersions on my character. Period.

Matt - can you tell me how or where I did such a thing? All my posts are still here except for the first one, where I had no knowledge of you yet.
In any case, I would kindly ask the same of you. I am no cheater. And I did nothing wrong here. I feel you have been aggressive with me from the start. I have no understanding as to why. Even after I deleted the original post at your request!
Nevertheless, I am fine with it being deleted.

“hestiansun” wrote:

Chris - rules were that instead of making flat dollar bids, bidders would bid die rolls, with the ultimate winner rolling the dice and using the total pips as the dollars to pay. Auctioneer did not know about the BGG feature that does die rolls at the time of his post, and so the original rules had allowed the winning bidders to record on their own time the rolls and then submit a video proof of that to him. Once the auctioneer realized that there was a transparent way to do it via BGG, he changed his rules to this.

No, the rules were changed after auction (honest mistake), NOT at the time of the realization (11/24)

For those interested, Ryan has honoured my dice roll, which is really great of him. I am grateful that the situation has resolved itself. Thanks to Ryan for keeping his word. It is a great idea for an auction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
Canada
Stoney Creek
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry Kevin!blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ha... film your own dice rolls and submit. Who the eff would ever want to participate in that potential snake pit?

If it were me, I would always support the transparent method.

If I were the auctioneer, I would null the entire auction and start over with the new rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LJplays wrote:
For those interested, Ryan has honoured my dice roll, which is really great of him. I am grateful that the situation has resolved itself. Thanks to Ryan for keeping his word. It is a great idea for an auction.

That's incredibly important - and, for that reason, I hope this *isn't* deleted.

I'm extremely glad to hear this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
My main thing is that I don't see how there is significant harm in making that kind of rule change at the end of the auction, since it impacts all people still involved the same way, provided that the auctioneer is willing to allow anyone who does NOT accept the rules change to gracefully withdraw their winner bid.

Anyway, enough pontification on this. We just happen to share different opinions on the question. I don't feel it merits anyone on any side being tarred and feathered though.

I would agree with that -- and, I suspect, if the auctioneer hadn't accepted the winning bid; BGG would've stepped in and said, "Ok, but anyone who submitted a video *can* choose to withdraw their bid now with no repercussion (aka, bad ratings)." We didn't get that far (thankfully!) But, I can agree with that.

Again, not having see your original reply; I was flying a bit blind on what you may have said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
Canada
Stoney Creek
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
I am definitely NOT suggesting the OP or anyone else wasn't, not in the slightest. I firmly believe that the OP had a really good roll and doesn't want to lose it, but I have zero reason to think he was up to no good. I don't think that.

Thank you! Have a great day Matt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Just...wow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.