Hide
10 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Does passing your turn avoid an Attack of Opportunity? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Carpenter
msg tools
Just a quick question while playing the first scenario: if you don't want to take an Attack of Opportunity and give the next player a chance to get an enemy off of you, can you just do nothing on your turn and pass it to the next player, allowing them to engage the enemy and evade, move, take damage, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ton Chirawut
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The turn order is not fixed. You can just let the other player engage the enemy first. Then you do other things.

Actions are valuable. This will be much more apparent in the second scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you may start each round playing the investigators in the order that you want. You don not need to always start from leading investigator.
It's important and one of the tactical decisions that you have to do planning new round.

P.s. I can be wrong but as far as I remember investigator can't just pass his turn or actions, he need to play them anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you may pass.

See 2.2.1 Investigator takes an action, if able on pages 24-25 of the Rules Reference, final paragraph, top of page 25:
Quote:
After an investigator takes an action, return to the previous player window. An investigator may end his or her turn early if there are no other actions he or she wishes to perform. If the investigator does not or cannot take an action, proceed to 2.2.2.

(Emphasis mine)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Yes, you may pass.

See 2.2.1 Investigator takes an action, if able on pages 24-25 of the Rules Reference, final paragraph, top of page 25:
Quote:
After an investigator takes an action, return to the previous player window. An investigator may end his or her turn early if there are no other actions he or she wishes to perform. If the investigator does not or cannot take an action, proceed to 2.2.2.

(Emphasis mine)

Thanks a lot. I have missed this text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordXyax wrote:
Just a quick question while playing the first scenario: if you don't want to take an Attack of Opportunity and give the next player a chance to get an enemy off of you, can you just do nothing on your turn and pass it to the next player, allowing them to engage the enemy and evade, move, take damage, etc.?

Usually the best thing you can do instead of passing is try to evade the enemy. At worst, you fail your evade checks and you accomplisehd the same thing as passing. At best, the enemy is now exhausted and the next player can attack safely without needing to engage first.

The downside is that in some scenarios, drawing a particular token or failing a check can have a negative consequence! And don't forget that if you attack an enemy that is engaged with someone else and you fail, you damage the other investigator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
One who fully grasps Bayes' Theorem, yet remains in our universe to aid others, is known as a Bayesattva.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question, actually. I'm going to go with no. It would seem that attacks of opportunity are triggered when you *do* something other than what triggers them (evade/fight, typically), not when you do nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Passing would also mean that you forfeit your turn by not using actions, so it is better to give other players do their turn first or try to evade...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Schneider
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Has there been any official ruling on this? Though I agree it's probably best to do something rather than nothing I could see where a set of circumstances might come together for a player to pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Lyons
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Official no, not that I'm aware, but you can send questions to FFG since they are the only way to get an official answer. The way the rulebook is written says that it takes certain actions to trigger an AoO. Passing doesn't use actions, therefore no AoO.

Quote:
Each time an investigator is engaged with one or more ready
enemies and takes an action other than to fight, to evade, or
to activate a parley or resign ability, each of those enemies
makes an attack of opportunity against the investigator, in
the order of the investigator’s choosing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.