JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plucked another lowhanging game pimping fruit today, upgrading the bowls in Century: Spice Road ... a beautiful game but those plastic bowls are the weakest link.

So, ordered some small wooden bowls from amazon, handrubbed a coat of redwood stain, then a coat of citrus oil and beeswax, and they matched the game beautifully. They even fit right in the box, inside the plastic bowls.

Only caveat is they are slightly smaller, so it took 5 bowls .... need two of these for all those yellow cubes.

If only I had one o' them fancy playmats to put these on ...

These are 2.5"D x 1.25"H bowls, also available from wood part and crafts suppliers like Casey's Wood Products.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant! Also a great fan of Casey's, ill be putting in an order today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

What was your total cost please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

What was your total cost please?

I already had the stain, and supplies for applying it, if you had to buy it you should be able to get a pint of decent stain for a few dollars. Any bright red/orange should do. Like "redwood", "sedona" or the more orange "colonial maple".

The wax I already had, use it on cutting boards, but any clearcoat would do. Another $3-5 if you don't have some already.

All I paid for was the bowls, they were $12.50 for 10 (made 2 sets) with free shipping from Amazon. Casey's charges $1.29ea, will charge shipping on small orders, but they also give price breaks on larger orders. They drop down to $0.91 for 10 or more, and get cheaper still if you order more, more, more

Craft stores probably sell these bowls, too; that would avoid shipping. I haven't looked locally.

So TL;DR - $12.50 / 2 sets with the caveat that I got free shipping and already had the finishing supplies.

The playmat is still available from Plan B for $30, but I am also hoping a weaving friend will make a custom rug ... !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:

I already had the stain, and supplies for applying it, if you had to buy it you should be able to get a pint of decent stain for a few dollars. Any bright red/orange should do. Like "redwood", "sedona" or the more orange "colonial maple".

The wax I already had, use it on cutting boards, but any clearcoat would do. Another $3-5 if you don't have some already.

Also worth noting that if you don't care about the colour, the stain is entirely optional. The cheapest option would probably be a simple wiped-on-with-a-rag coat of danish oil or boiled linseed oil, both of which will harden to a decent finish which resists grease and grime from fingers from making the wood grubby, and both are pretty cheap.

(If you do use danish or BLO, though, be careful to lay the rag or paper towel you use out flat somewhere until it's dried. Or just burn it deliberately. It's rare, but if you scrunch the rag up and leave it in a small space it can self-ignite and burn your house down. Seriously.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
Also worth noting that if you don't care about the colour, the stain is entirely optional. The cheapest option would probably be a simple wiped-on-with-a-rag coat of danish oil or boiled linseed oil, both of which will harden to a decent finish which resists grease and grime from fingers from making the wood grubby, and both are pretty cheap.

(If you do use danish or BLO, though, be careful to lay the rag or paper towel you use out flat somewhere until it's dried. Or just burn it deliberately. It's rare, but if you scrunch the rag up and leave it in a small space it can self-ignite and burn your house down. Seriously.)

All very true, and for completionist's sake, also mention that you can (obviously) stain these any color, to match any game, as well as use them raw. You could also dye them, ink them, etc.

I used citrus oil / wax for the subtle thematic odor, knowing it won't last, and will have to be reapplied, but I'm OK with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Mack
United States
Warrenton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was literally just looking at these today and was going to pass on them because I thought it was $12.00 for a single bowl. Completely missed they were a set of 10. Thanks for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KenshinPhoto wrote:
I was literally just looking at these today and was going to pass on them because I thought it was $12.00 for a single bowl. Completely missed they were a set of 10. Thanks for the info!

It isn't at all obvious on the Amazon listing! Glad this thread helped in a roundabout way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.