8 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Scenario #27, Ruinous Rift is too difficult, spoiler? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guyeon Kim
Canada
flag msg tools
I started GH a week ago, solo play with lv3 cragheart and lv3 spellweaver.
Now I just played scenario #27, and failed twice at scenario lv2. This is very frustrating.

Is this possible to beat with 2 characters? I think literally 2 characters are not enough to protect the NPC from all the spawning devils.

I could play 3 characters probably with brute? though I really want to clear this with 2 characters.

Any advise welcome...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ziemer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Scenario #27 too difficult, spoiler?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I completed this scenario with 2 characters on solo the first try so it is possible. That said I was using 3 Spears and Mindthief so my mindthief was
Spoiler (click to reveal)
was specked to summon up to 4 minions so that kind of gives us more allies.
Also I barely won as the last round a wind demon (I think) drew a target 2 card and I was counting on it attacking my summon and not killing the npc. Suddenly I couldn't stop the hit and I only won due to the wind demon drawing a Null (super lucky).

Anyway, it's definitely do-able, try to take a hand that will allow you to split up and fight both sides. Try to create walls of stones or bodies and slow down melee Demons an then priorities ranged demons.

Remember to plan out a few turns in advance where demons will be spawning so your ready to be there.

When killing enemies seems to slow for a mission objective remember wound can be a game changer. A wounded enemy can possibly be ignored, freeing you up to move on to fresher prey.

Hope this all helps some. Good luck.

Edit: here's a link to another thread on the topic. Under strategy forums you can find a post with links to posts on all classes an lots of scenarios.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1744260/scenario-27-how-did...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you might consider waiting until your CH hits level 4, you become much more effective at blocking off the room at that point. Take out ranged monsters quickly, and remember that a push on a slow monster can sometimes be as good as a kill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guyeon Kim
Canada
flag msg tools
Stryker1979 wrote:
you might consider waiting until your CH hits level 4, you become much more effective at blocking off the room at that point. Take out ranged monsters quickly, and remember that a push on a slow monster can sometimes be as good as a kill.

Yes I just peeked that card you mentioned. It must be a good helper to beat this scenario. Thanks.
I am going to play a few other scenarios for lv up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously there are a lot of people with number centric memories-- but which scenario is #27? It should have a name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guyeon Kim
Canada
flag msg tools
SaintHax wrote:
Obviously there are a lot of people with number centric memories-- but which scenario is #27? It should have a name.

Oh, you are right. I will change the title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This scenario requires you to carefully select your cards before going in.

For the Spellweaver, you have to decide if you're going to bring Reviving Ether or if you go in 'naked'.* If you leave Ether out, drop 1 AoE and include Flashing Burst. Take a stamina potion to use Mana Bolt an extra time. Bring Aid from the Ether, summon help in round 1 and make sure it survives.

The Cragheart should use round 1 to create an obstacle w Avalanche and play Backup Ammo. However, he should stick to melee attacks in round 2 and 3! This way, you do not waste any charges of Backup Ammo. With 3 attacks per round, you should be able to take down the first 2 monsters fairly quickly. After that, AoE, Immobilize and Disarm to your rocky heart's content. Heal your allies if needed and simply drop a card if you take a big hit. Create more rocks. Remember, an invisible character is allowed to block off part of the map.

*Oops, I was told the Spellweaver College will revoke my Spell-license if I dare to suggest not using Reviving Ether. So please use it The big jump is still pretty good, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick M
United States
Highland Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Played this solo yesterday at lvl 2 with a lvl 3 Brute and lvl 3 Scoundrel. Maybe should have waited for lvl 4 but the reward looked great and the scenario at least looked interesting... I mean, all six demons? Fight the whole evil rainbow? Sure!

Going in I put all the self-healing and damage mitigation cards back into each hand, and started each hero with 1-2 healing potions and the skeleton ring to soak up some damage. I would also recommend the hide armor if you can afford it, even for characters who wouldn't normally tank. You will kill some demons (I only killed 6 out of the 16 that spawned), but for me the later rounds were broadly about mitigating damage to avoid discarding all my cards to damage. With two characters, by round 4 or 5 you want each on opposite sides of Hail so that they get priority on enemy focus.

To each his own, YMMV, and all the usual caveats, but boy howdy:

I won the first time, which I'm grateful for because I never want to play anything like this scenario again.

I was confused and dismayed not by the scenario's difficulty but by how boring and bizarrely unfriendly it was. Six different enemies sounds interesting, but get them all on the board while keeping track of the rounds and spawns, with 8+ piling on at once... those 10 rounds were each longer than the last, with more and more player time spent with some of the fiddliest monster automation in the game (all those abilities & elements...). Going through neatly the entire monster modifier deck in a single turn (to give you an idea of how little my characters were doing proportionately) - no fun.

I ended this fight with one HP on Hail, saved by a few lucky flips of the monster deck, and zero sense of accomplishment or victory.

The worse part, as each round dragged on longer and longer, was the dread of having to repeat it if I failed. And that dread felt worse because previously if you told me I "had to" replay any given scenario of Gloomhaven, I'd be all in, glad to do it. This scenario really felt like punishment. The silver lining was that I'd played it solo; I think it would have turned off my gaming group entirely.

And this was the day after I watched SU&SD's review, wherein the major complaint was that the game required too much admin. I felt that this was a valid but not a major criticism up until I played Scenario 27, which was all admin all the time. I really like Gloomhaven and want to like Gloomhaven, but for me this was the object lesson in how bad the game can feel and helped me understand why some people disliked it.

I wish (...trying to be constructive for a shipped product that's already complete) that this scenario had just presented three demon types. And to make it more interesting, and in keeping with Gloomhaven: let the players choose which three! By scenario 27, many players would have experienced the whole range of demons, so they could make an informed and strategic decision, demonstrate their knowledge and experience of the enemy types, and exercise some preference and agency. This change could also add needed variety to future replays if players fail a very grindy scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.