Subject: Dutch newspaper article declares game not-politically-correct rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
hench critter
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last weekend there was a very positive review in a Dutch newspaper about this game: (Dutch link:https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2017/11/28/een-spel-met-nul-procent-geluk-14002673-a1582800?utm_source=NRC&utm_medium=related&utm_campaign=related2)

This was followed by criticism on the game and review. (Dutch link:https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2017/12/01/spelrecensie-gouden-eeuw-is-niet-om-te-jubelen-a1583290?utm_source=NRC&utm_medium=related&utm_campaign=related2)

I'll translate the criticism. Info marked with a * is added by me to clarify parts for non-Dutch. Note that I'm not a professional translator, so please forgive any errors.

>>>
The (Dutch*) Golden age is not to rejoice.

We have just started seriously to stress the colonial past of The Netherlands in a different way. This by banning terms like 'Golden age', 'See heroes' and 'slaves'. This is needed to make our divided history into a common history. An afford that is carried by a broadening front. Also the NRC (*the newspaper this article and the review was in) makes a positive contribution, for example with a recent series of articles about racism. But Tuesday it went wrong with a review of the board-game 'Captains of the Golden Age' on the back-page. At first I saw no trouble: the headline 'a game with zero percent luck' (*Note that the Dutch word for luck is the same as for happiness) appeared a reference to the misery the Dutch colonial policy caused in Indië (*Now Indonesia, a form Dutch Colony). But no, the game got five stars from Lucas Brauwers (*The reviewer) because it's an exiting rough tale of sea-heroes (*It would be a big task to translate the review. But in the review, the game was praised because of gameplay mechanics and hardly because of the theme). “Island where the tradegoods, rum, wood, linen, and copper can be shipped in”. And also “The Orient and the republic are the safe spots in the game . You can not be attacked here and you can upgrade your ship”. I imagine the rum and pepper being hauled by Indian 'servants' and the Dutch ship is decorated with golden ornaments. Too crazy to comprehend! I don't understand the jubilant tone of the review.

Wien de Smet
<<<

For those that dislike this kind of Political correctness: good news. The biggest Weblog in the Netherlands (https://www.geenstijl.nl/5139705/geniaal-koloniaal-haatspel-... dutch link) picked it up. They ridiculed the criticism: (Monopoly should be rewritten because of the bad conditions in the late 19thcentury. Sheeps should be removed from Catan because of crualty to animals. And Game of Goose should come with a certificate that all Goose were treaded well. The website also praised the game and called it “ingenius”. Getting the frontpage of the biggest Dutch weblog is PR money can't buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.