Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game looks fun but I’m a bit worried by the replayability. I could not figure if the starting setup is always the same or not. If not, what part of the setup varies from game to game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
This game looks fun but I’m a bit worried by the replayability. I could not figure if the starting setup is always the same or not. If not, what part of the setup varies from game to game?
The tiles that you place on the board are random.

This isn't an initial set up, but you can see the tiles that are placed on the spots around the board. Those come out in no particular order (except that some type of monk tiles go specifically on monk spots).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WRS WRS
Poland
Ropczyce
Podkarpacie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each round (2p - 3, 3p - 4, 4p - 6) you draw resource tiles and monk tiles.
It guarantee totally different play each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But like Castles of Burgundy, the game is begging for varied (and perhaps asymmetric) player boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WRS WRS
Poland
Ropczyce
Podkarpacie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so.
Sheds are very important, assymetric in placing sheds could be very unfair to players. The same about differenting bright and shade parts of players board.
I think that now it is quite well balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WRSZS wrote:
I don't think so.
Sheds are very important, assymetric in placing sheds could be very unfair to players. The same about differenting bright and shade parts of players board.
I think that now it is quite well balanced.

Of course it's balanced now. The player boards are all the same!

And of course asymmetric boards could be unfair. But they could also be fair. Different doesn't guarantee unfair. Or put another way, they could be "unfair" in that they're not the same (not sure your definition of "fair"), but still result in winning an equal amount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purely my opinion/preference, but I like H&A just the way it is.

The choice of various player board choices in CoB is my least favorite thing about the game. I don't mind playing with any of them if everyone is using the same one, but I'll really resist playing it with groups where everyone gets to choose their own board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not as though a different player board is going to create some asymmetry in what tiles you choose to take.

Now I can imagine new player boards with some special bonuses - but probably each player should have a similar board.

The player interaction works fine. The variability of which tiles come out creates different games. Our last game, a lot of wood came out early. That was an easy call - moving wood up isn't that important, so I took those to build income on the shady side.

But had barley or water come out early, that would have suggested different issues.

I suppose if you want to create more variability, combine the I and II tiles, in order to create a possibility of more lopsided boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan Degann wrote:
It is not as though a different player board is going to create some asymmetry in what tiles you choose to take.

It could if there were some pre-burnt-in tiles or something.

Jonathan Degann wrote:
Now I can imagine new player boards with some special bonuses - but probably each player should have a similar board.

The Castles of Burgundy has wildly varying player boards and it works great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Scott
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If they wanted more varied play, they should have randomized barrels more or added new ones I .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that argument - but geez - they've covered nearly every possible hurdle. You could create barrels with arbitrary combinations (Brewmaster up to level X + all ingredients up to level Y), total # of tiles on the board, but I don't think that would create an especially fresh game.

Possibly new bonus cards. Maybe new tiles with combinations (2 wood + 2 yeast), wild "1" tiles, could be part of an expansion. Right now, I'm not suffering any replayability problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Scott
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I’m just expressing some ideas for more variety. I’m at 11 plays and still loving it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.