Joe Keller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Leader Casualty Check Page 6

1. May a unit fire on a leader with only one die to force it to retreat?

2. We had a situation where only one die was rolled and it came up a flag. (So the flags do not require additional hexes of retreat.) Is the flag a "No Hit" result, that still requires the leader to retreat 1,2, or 3? Or does the rule mean that the flag has no effect in the sense that it does not require the leader to even retreat the 1, 2, or 3 normally required on a "No Hit" result?

Thanks,

Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dippel
Germany
Rheinhausen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
I am from Bavaria
badge
King Ludwig II of Bavaria
mbmbmbmb
Re: Firing on a Leadern
Sorry first answer, thougt about core rules, but
i assume you refer to Marshal extension rules:

When a Leader is alone
in a hex, the attacking enemy unit rolls its normal ranged battle
dice. Two saber symbols rolled will score a hit and eliminate the
Leader. If the Leader is not hit, the Leader must retreat 1, 2, or
3 hexes. Flags rolled against the Leader have no effect on the
unattached Leader.

Because 2 XSW are needed to hit a lone leader in range combat, i would say, a single dice attack is not possible here.
And in a normale >2 dice attack the leader retreats if he is not killed, indifferent of the symbols of the dice, as the rules states.

But i will seek Richards rule intention here, if a one dice attack is possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say we need a ruling from RBorg, because I see nothing in the rules that would prevent the attack from being made with one die; it is just guaranteed that a retreat will result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dippel
Germany
Rheinhausen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
I am from Bavaria
badge
mbmbmbmb
As i said, a single die range attack is not possible.

The following note will be added to the updated rules on page 6, under Leader Casualty Check.
Note - A lone leader may not be targeted when rolling less then two dice. Also note - sabers normally will not score a hit in range combat, however, firing at a leader alone in a hex is an exception to this rule.

Richard Borg, 2017-12-05

I´ll update the FAQ (including the printable) later today
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bayernkini wrote:
As i said, a single die range attack is not possible.

The following note will be added to the updated rules on page 6, under Leader Casualty Check.
Note - A lone leader may not be targeted when rolling less then two dice. Also note - sabers normally will not score a hit in range combat, however, firing at a leader alone in a hex is an exception to this rule.

Richard Borg, 2017-12-05

I´ll update the FAQ (including the printable) later today

I think it is a bit of a silly ruling, since it undoes what the new rule was designed to prevent.

If 1 die attacks cannot force a leader to retreat, then the leader can be used as a shield against artillery fire for units in LOS behind the leader

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dippel
Germany
Rheinhausen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
I am from Bavaria
badge
mbmbmbmb
Quote:

If 1 die attacks cannot force a leader to retreat, then the leader can be used as a shield against artillery fire for units in LOS behind the leader

How many times you have already this situation?
Or another question, would you really use a lone leader in front of his troops as shield, with the risk, to be charged by enemy troops?

So which kind of range battle situations can happen.
1) 2hex range: As i said, i would never let a lone leader in charge distance of the enemy front line.

2) Artillery range:
Except he is still certainly in charge range of Cavalry (with appropriate command/tactician anyway),
in all my games (should be now <1500 last 7 years) i fired less than 5 times on a single leader, because units was always the tactical better choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bayernkini wrote:
Quote:

How many times you have already this situation?
Or another question, would you really use a lone leader in front of his troops as shield, with the risk, to be charged by enemy troops?

towards the end of battle, to prevent artillery shooting at 1 block units, then yes, I'd take the risk.

I'd possibly also consider it to bait out the enemy cavalry if I had a cavalry response ready. Being able to attack enemy cavalry and pursue onto artillery could be quite useful. That would take a very special circumstance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.