Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bloody Cactus
United States
Lexington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be a boardgamer like you, then I took a dice bag to the knee from Tonya Harding
mbmbmbmbmb
So in character creation it says two skills from your race list and two skill from your class list.

If you have one skill in both lists does that count as two?
ie: elf-wildlander has archery in both race+class. Does this count as 1 from each list?

So you can basically pick 3 skills instead of 4 to satisfy the requirement?

Rules dont say anything on this, that I can see so I'm taking it as OK, and others have overlaps too (orc+catfolk as a brawler share brawling, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BloodyCactus wrote:
So in character creation it says two skills from your race list and two skill from your class list.

ie: elf-wildlander has archery in both race+class. Does this count as 1 from each list?

Rules dont say anything on this, that I can see so I'm taking it as OK, and others have overlaps too (orc+catfolk as a brawler share brawling, etc).

I'd say yes, based on the specific wording in the manual. Basically it says to do two unrelated checks (parse list A - do you have 2? Ok; parse list B - do you have 2? Ok).

That rule exists mainly to keep a sense of coherence in your character vision and execution -- e.g. so you don't make a thief with zero thief like skills, etc.

My girlfriend and I spent our first session with the game, about an hour, going through all of this last night. It was fun, but I'm a little critical of FFG's execution in painting a picture of Terrinoth for the background side of things. I found I ended up making a far more grounded character then, for example, any of the Descent or Runebound heroes in my collection, and part of this was due to any sense of framing or touchstones to draw on (being unfamiliar with the world's lore).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they should have put some sample characters in the box like the ones they have as printable PDFs on the product page. That way you get some examples of characters in the setting.

BloodyCactus - don't worry too much about it. That whole character creation book is meant to prepare you to get into the mindset of your character and to build excitement to roleplay their decisions. The number of skills versus stamina seems to be a game balance consideration and having too many skills in the same category may cause you to have a lot of redundant options. The skill groupings appear to be more a thematic consideration than any real game balance limiter (it's ensuring you somewhat resemble you chosen race/class). You are completely free with the rest of your skill slots so pretty much any combination of skills can be lumped into a character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
BloodyCactus wrote:

I'd say yes, based on the specific wording in the manual. Basically it says to do two unrelated checks (parse list A - do you have 2? Ok; parse list B - do you have 2? Ok).

Hmm, I guess I read it differently. The way I looked at it, is I first pick two skills from list A, then go and pick two skills from list B. So you would still need to pick 4 skills total to satisfy this requirement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Yacullo
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The exact wording is:

Quote:
At least two of your chosen skills must appear in your race skill list, and at least two of your chosen skills must appear in your class skill list.

which to me does support the overlap interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yacullo wrote:
The exact wording is:

Quote:
At least two of your chosen skills must appear in your race skill list, and at least two of your chosen skills must appear in your class skill list.

which to me does support the overlap interpretation.

Ditto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.