T
United States
flag msg tools
Just a curious and honest question: has any researcher/academic/interested amateur ever attempted to quantify the social/political/economic consequences of religion over, say, the last two thousand years. For example:

- lives lost in religious wars vs lives saved by religious organizations and similar efforts
- money spent by governments for overtly religious initiatives vs secular initiatives

Obviously, that's a pretty broad topic. So, after typing all that, perhaps a better question might be: who are considered the leading researchers in examining questions like these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your mom is a leading expert in researching quantifiable effects of religion through history.

Sorry, never mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer - no.

Edit - probably not true, but it's a broad topic, and how and what to quantify would be seriously in question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if quantified, but if it were, the estimates would range from a very big positive number to a very big negative number. Mostly according to pre-disposition. That's going to make any estimate all but useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Especially before the modern era, most literature, art, and music was religious-- if nothing else invoking deities for inspirations. Until the rise of modern secularism in the West, virtually all ethics, philosophy, and morality was religious.

Frankly most human endeavors of any kid had religious aspects or implications and so quantification of the effect of religion on human history is impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Religion has certainly been used as an excuse to dominate and oppress other groups. But that does not mean that religion was the cause of the oppression. In many cases, the oppressors would have found a different excuse if religion had been absent.

For example, the Spanish used religion as an excuse to kill and steal from the Incas. Their real motive was not religion, but gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
Almost impossible to quantify. Religion is part of history and it's impossible to pin down. Were the crusades a land grab or purely religious? Many in the south justified owning slaves Biblicaly, does the American Civil War count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how you can measure it. Even if general or captain reports, "...and we triumphed by God's grace," is that anything more than a formula like, "Yours truly"? Is it anything more than a conventional statement of modesty?

I'm sure some historians have taken this on, but not in a rigorously quantitative manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
How does one measure the beauty of art? The suffering caused by religious war? The insight of the transcendent? The cost of the limitations on reason shackled by those seeking to protect social order?

Quantifying beauty is banal, quantifying suffering, immoral.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What would you compare it against? Let’s say you said religion was responsible for over 9,000. Is no religion 0, 50K, 5K, -9K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.