Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Onion makes light of your nightmares:

Negligent Oaf Sloppily Packs Away Board Game Without So Much As A Thought To Future Players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Be cool.
badge
No—cooler than that.
mbmbmbmbmb
True story related to me by my kids:

"We were at so-and-so's house and there were too many of us to play video games so we asked what board games he had. He mentioned Arkham Horror and since we'd all played before we told him to go get it! We gathered around the table and people started calling dibs on different characters. He returned with the box and set it down—someone slid the top off to reveal an UNSPEAKABLE MASS of all the cards, bits, chits, markers, and cardboard nib-nobs all mixed up. No insert, no baggies, no containers or organization of any kind—just a sanity-shredding technicolor soup.

"No one said a word as we closed the box and walked away."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
True story related to me by my kids:

"We were at so-and-so's house and there were too many of us to play video games so we asked what board games he had. He mentioned Arkham Horror and since we'd all played before we told him to go get it! We gathered around the table and people started calling dibs on different characters. He returned with the box and set it down—someone slid the lid off to reveal an UNSPEAKABLE MASS of all the cards, bits, chits, markers, and cardboard nib-nobs all mixed up. No insert, no baggies, no containers or organization of any kind—just a sanity-shredding technicolor soup.

"No one said a word as we closed the lid and walked away."

Sounds like Cthulhu won that round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One day we had played 7 Wonders and after the game I spent a long while organizing my friend's copy so that the next time we played at his house we didn't have to paw through just a giant pile of bits to find what we needed. Fast forward a week and back at his house and he opens the box to get the game set up. He looks at all the highly organized bits, says, "Someone hyper organized this!" and upends the box creating a giant pile of bits for us to paw through. angry shake blush

I made him bag the components after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vospire wrote:
One day we had played 7 Wonders and after the game I spent a long while organizing my friend's copy so that the next time we played at his house we didn't have to paw through just a giant pile of bits to find what we needed. Fast forward a week and back at his house and he opens the box to get the game set up. He looks at all the highly organized bits, says, "Someone hyper organized this!" and upends the box creating a giant pile of bits for us to paw through. angry shake blush

I made him bag the components after that.
And I bet that moments later he said, "Someone hyper kicked me in the nuts!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sort of related. When I was neatly and carefully packing away one of my games after a game day, one of my friends said her family (uncle or something, not important I guess) just throws all the components blindly back into the box.

That sentence caused me physical pain.

Edit: oh god there are other stories like this in this very thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Lemckert
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WetRock wrote:

I mean, it's not like anyone's ever going to play that game again anyway, so...what's the big deal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
The only way to put away Monopoly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
Sort of related. When I was neatly and carefully packing away one of my games after a game day, one of my friends said her family (uncle or something, not important I guess) just throws all the components blindly back into the box.

That sentence caused me physical pain.

Edit: oh god there are other stories like this in this very thread

Some of the new games (Gloomhave,KDM etc) boxes are big enough these days, that I can throw the person in behind the components if they do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I got my kickstarter copy of Wendake today and I spent about an hour punching out all the pieces, sorting through them, setting up each player's starting pieces, and bagging everything. And I felt like it was perfectly normal to spend an hour "prepping" a new game for the first time you play it.

But it now occurs to me that a non-gamer might think this was weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MK99 wrote:
I got my kickstarter copy of Wendake today and I spent about an hour punching out all the pieces, sorting through them, setting up each player's starting pieces, and bagging everything. And I felt like it was perfectly normal to spend an hour "prepping" a new game for the first time you play it.

But it now occurs to me that a non-gamer might think this was weird.

It also explains why the non-bbgs tend to dislike the games with lots of bits. If your experience of a game is based on having to sort through all the bits just to set up it is likely not very positive. On the other hand, all those bits just add immersion when the game is properly bagged and ready to go.

To balance the thread a little. Anyone who played the big-wooden-box premium Small World edition will know that the opposite trigger is true as well. Oh the joy of just that extra level of neatness with race specific boxes and box inserts for everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what is wrong with these people? robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WetRock wrote:

Reminds me of my shipping pet peeve ... when you buy a game secondhand and it arrive with the lid sitting at an angle ... because there is a massive lump of loose, unsecured, unbagged, unboxed components piled at one end.

Seriously, people?

A couple have arrived with loose components floating around outside the gamebox whistle

Most shippers are more thoughtful. But there are a few careless souls who I assume are not actual gamers, only carrion birds, trusting that pixies will keep those bits secure through the post ... if they ever even opened the box while processing it as inventory.

(Sad to say, some of the offenders have been gamers shake )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
WetRock wrote:

Reminds me of my shipping pet peeve ... when you buy a game secondhand and it arrive with the lid sitting at an angle ... because there is a massive lump of unsecured components piled at one end.

Seriously, people?

Most shippers are more thoughtful. But there are a few careless souls who I assume are not actual gamers, only carrion birds, trusting that pixies will keep those bits secure through the post ... if they ever even opened the box while processing it as inventory.

(Sad to say, some of the offenders have been gamers shake )

The only box I have this issue with is Cave Evil: Warcults. Once everything was sleeved and bagged there was just no way to get the box to close properly again. It didn't come with an insert either so I can't even toss that to increase space.

I had the same issue with Lords of Waterdeep once I sleeved everything, but I pitched the insert and now everything fits fine.

Pax Porfiriana is another that's difficult to organize all the bits so that the box closes properly, but can be done.

I will say, my group went to go play Age of Gods for the first time in about 18 months and that game turned out to be pretty jumbled. My friend just looked at me and goes, "You should bag this like all your other games."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.