Hide
17 Posts

Ghost Stories» Forums » General

Subject: Might there ever be another edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
thomas ellsworth
msg tools
I finally got to play this game with a friend the other day, and I liked it as much as I thought I would (it was great), but my first reaction was how little there was in the box. It's a big box and a $45 game, but it's mostly empty space. So I guess I was expecting a bit more.

I feel like this game would really benefit from a Samurai Spirit sized edition with a new rulebook and some cardboard standees instead of minis for the ghosts and buddhas. I think a 29.99 MSRP game like that might have a wider market than the current iteration.

Anyone know why the price stays so high?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thechiclayano wrote:

I suspect because the game continues to sell reasonably well at that price.

Offering a budget version might open the game up to a broader audience, but given the difficulty it's probably not ideal for mass market consumption anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's pretty cheap for a game that you can easily play over 50 times without beating it at max difficulty nor having need of expansion (I'm somewhere in the range of 75 plays, only ten of which were with the first expansion; although I admit that most of those were with the guardhouse, so a bit more than just the base set).

It's a very well designed and developed game, cheap for all the labour that went into it.

But when I buy a game, it's the play it offers I'm paying for, not the components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Montanus
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love a combined big box package that included the expansions and had integrated rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check me out on Instagram: @WisdomForWizards
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
Is the game popular enough to warrant a new edition? I don't mean this in a negative way, as I love Ghost Stories, but I'm genuinely curious.

With that question asked, I don't think they would do a "budget" version of the game. They would then have to do a budget edition of the two expansions as well, and I don't see that happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I very much doubt there will be a new edition. Samurai Spirit is kind of a second edition if you will, but Ghost Stories seems to me to be a finished and complete game.

Still, there are regularly new prints of this game. It does not have broad appeal like Carcassonne, but it does have staying power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories costs that much because it's expensive to produce and there's no need to lower the price for budget, since it's still popular. And there's not 'little' in the box. It has many miniatures, cards, tokens and bunch of tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thechiclayano wrote:
I finally got to play this game with a friend the other day, and I liked it as much as I thought I would (it was great), but my first reaction was how little there was in the box. It's a big box and a $45 game, but it's mostly empty space. So I guess I was expecting a bit more.

I feel like this game would really benefit from a Samurai Spirit sized edition with a new rulebook and some cardboard standees instead of minis for the ghosts and buddhas. I think a 29.99 MSRP game like that might have a wider market than the current iteration.

AFAIK, it's probably the classic case of they need to make x amount of money. They can either sell more copies for cheaper, or add more value so they can justify charging more for the game and thus reach that goal via more money per copy.

The former doesn't seem to add enough extra copies to it worth the while (for example, if a game costs $20 to make, then $50 vs. $30 is magnitudes less profit per copy).

The latter ensures they reach that goal even if they sold less copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There has just been a new Polish edition and bear with me - the game has no language dependent elements, not even a single one. It is quite cheap and there are many shops here that ship to any country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas ellsworth
msg tools
chearns wrote:
I think it's pretty cheap for a game that you can easily play over 50 times without beating it at max difficulty nor having need of expansion (I'm somewhere in the range of 75 plays, only ten of which were with the first expansion; although I admit that most of those were with the guardhouse, so a bit more than just the base set).

It's a very well designed and developed game, cheap for all the labour that went into it.

But when I buy a game, it's the play it offers I'm paying for, not the components.

I agree with your main idea to a point. However, I think if I was feeling I was up to spending 50ish dollars on a coop game I'd just save up a bit more and spring for Mechs vs. Minions. Ghost stories may even be a better game, but there is a feeling of getting more for your buck when you can grab a giant game with tons of miniatures for less than Ghost Stories and it's expansion.

Thanks for the great thoughts everyone. Appreciate you all taking the time to answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thechiclayano wrote:
I agree with your main idea to a point. However, I think if I was feeling I was up to spending 50ish dollars on a coop game I'd just save up a bit more and spring for Mechs vs. Minions. Ghost stories may even be a better game, but there is a feeling of getting more for your buck when you can grab a giant game with tons of miniatures for less than Ghost Stories and it's expansion.

Yup. It all comes down to what you want from a game. I want a game that is awesome to play. If what you want is a game with minis and lots of stuff in the box, then yes, by all means get something else. There's a huge market for beautiful stuff in a box, as evidenced by the success of Kickstarter games.

It could also be that you aren't interested in playing a game 50 times, plenty of people aren't. In which case, again, do you need a well-developed game? Maybe not. I would never recommend Ghost Stories to everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H inVan
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mb
I think they should make a version with a map showing Chinese village, using Codeword Cromwell as inspiration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw a pic of this game at a convention where all the village tiles were custom 3d terrain... That was pretty sick i would love to have that edition!!!

I wonder if there would be any money in it for Repos if they did a deluxe edition that came in a nice custom box and included all tue ghost stories material, the expansions, the 3d dice, metal qi coins... If any game needs to be deluxified (yeah thats a word!) Its ghost stories. Pieros artwork is incredible and really brings the game to life!!! I love this game and have done a little bit to pimp my copy out. I replaced the qi coins with metal ones, i have little wooden chinese bowls for the tokens.

I would love to paint the figures. Ive seen some people who have done an amazing job with their sets. I asked someone to paint mine for me but he was going to charge like $400. His skill was incredible and if i had money to burn i would have done it.

Sorry... Got a little off topic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
I saw a pic of this game at a convention where all the village tiles were custom 3d terrain... That was pretty sick i would love to have that edition!!!

I wonder if there would be any money in it for Repos if they did a deluxe edition that came in a nice custom box and included all tue ghost stories material, the expansions, the 3d dice, metal qi coins... If any game needs to be deluxified (yeah thats a word!) Its ghost stories. Pieros artwork is incredible and really brings the game to life!!! I love this game and have done a little bit to pimp my copy out. I replaced the qi coins with metal ones, i have little wooden chinese bowls for the tokens.

I would love to paint the figures. Ive seen some people who have done an amazing job with their sets. I asked someone to paint mine for me but he was going to charge like $400. His skill was incredible and if i had money to burn i would have done it.

Sorry... Got a little off topic

What's the difference between 3d dice and dice? Aren't all dice 3d?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry i was talking about the dice frm the repos site. They have the 3d etched symbols on them rather than the coloured dots in the original game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snasne Snaxx
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Im guessing im in the minority here, but I wouldn't mind a new edition with... better artwork. wow

The current artwork isn't really that bad, but its not really that great either. I love the theme of this game, so would be sweet with a new edition with really smashing artwork. But again, i guess thats just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No way!! Pierro is amazing! I love this art.

They wluld have to come out with a really pimped out 2nd edition of this game for me to buy it because ive already blinged out some of the components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.