United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know of any modern games that are designed so that one side wins substantially more frequently than the other?

I was thinking that this might be a fun experience to try and win using the 'hard' side. I also thought it would be an interesting way to design games that kids and adults can play together. Are there any examples already out there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories is pretty well known as being extremely difficult to win. However, it is a cooperative game and I don't think that is what you were going for.

Maybe check out Fortress America. It features asymmetric game play. Maybe some of the games super fans, on the game page, will be able to give you some details as to whether it is biased or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Although I have not yet played any of them, I would imagine that the COIN games would be like this. Chime in to correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time Agent

One of the time-travelling races is the Buralti, who start the game 'winning' and can end the game in three or four turns unless the game state is quickly changed by the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
The Darklings in Terra Mystica tend to do better than the other races. Don't know if that's a feature or a flaw.

West Germany in Wir sind das Volk! is stronger and has more advantages than East Germany, but the win conditions are made easier for the East (they just need to survive through 1989).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
The human race in the game Eclipse usually win most of the games that I have played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris H
msg tools
Psycho Raiders is intended to feel like a horror movie. As such, the hero side is significantly less powerful than the villain side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb

Memoir '44 the scenarios usually have a slight favor towards the historical winner but the game can be won by either side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Come on Batman! Pull your weight!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Memoir '44 scenarios are constructed to favor the side of the faction that actually won the battle (some to a greater degree than others, depending on how the actual battle played out in the war).

acedaryl1 wrote:
Maybe check out Fortress America. It features asymmetric game play. Maybe some of the games super fans, on the game page, will be able to give you some details as to whether it is biased or not.

There are plenty of threads on balance in FA's forum, but they are pretty much equally split on those that think the invaders have the advantage, and those who think the USA does. I suppose that is a good sign the game is pretty well balanced

As for my opinion on FA, I think if both players are experienced, then the invaders have a slight advantage in a 2p game, whereas the USA does in a 3 or 4p game. I think that's because with 1 player controlling all of the invading factions, he/she can be more focused on their overall strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadae
msg tools
If the goal is to challenge yourself or go against a weaker player, why not look for a game with a good handicap system? Or is it more about the novelty of trying an asymmetrical game with default unbalanced sides
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maria very deliberately makes the Austrian position hopelessly weak at the start. But the other two players have to be very careful not to let Austria lose to the other player. So they end up very carefully managing their attacks on Austria so as no to topple her the wrong way.

Austria has to find a way to play them off against each other till she is strong enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
2 de Mayo isn't imbalanced per se in terms of game objectives, but the Spanish essentially "win" by doing ever so slightly better than the massacre that actually occurred.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Fitterer
United States
Sussex
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the base game of Star Wars: Rebellion favored the Rebel Alliance. I feel that the expansion made things more even between the two sides, but the base game seemed to favor the Alliance.

Probably not quite what you're looking for, as I don't think kids could really play this game.

Something interesting that Dan Hughes mentioned on the Dice Tower's Board Game Breakfast is that he likes playing memory games with his young daughter, because she has a very sharp memory (as most children do), and adults tend to lose some of that as they grow older - this puts them on more of an even playing field, which is hard to find when adults play kids' games with kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
+1 Memoir 44 - some of the most enjoyable scenarios are the ones that are very unbalanced and one side has a very low chance of actually winning, but is still playing to gain the most VP before losing. Then you switch sides and play again, and the "winner" is the one with the best combined score over the 2 games.

+1 to Maria - Austria is in a losing, king-making position early on. But if the players keeps it well-balanced and the game goes long, Austria has a good chance of winning.

I haven't played it enough to know what the actual odds of winning are (there are likely stats on BGG), but Friedrich is very unbalanced, Fortress America style, and the Friedrich player, even with a large hand of cards, feels in a very tough situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Benzein
Sweden
Sollentuna
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Star Wars LCG and Android: Netrunner are biased against one of the decks.

You can find this in a lot of boardgames though, the catch is that you often have to have played the game a certain amount to gain the skill needed to leverage that advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Jack favours the detective some. Not as much as new players typically think .... their problem is that Jack is harder to play .... but even after they have learned how to play Jack well, the detective still is more likely to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
The recent Star Wars Risk favors strongly the rebels...

until you realize the rulebook as printed is missing an entire page. Missing rules can be seen in reference tables on later pages, but they are never explained.

Adding the missing rules, the game is much more closely balanced:

- Ties can destroy adjacent fleet markers.
- Death star attacks that remove a fleet marker counts as having cleared a sector and empire gains an extra action as a result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Nations allows you to adjust the game to make it harder for some players and easier for others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ender7 wrote:
Anyone know of any modern games that are designed so that one side wins substantially more frequently than the other?

Define substantially. devil

With complex games it's actually hard for the designer to know which side has the advantage. Playing styles and group think play a huge role in determining whether a game is balanced; often a perceived balance during playtesting is found to be incorrect after publication, as larger numbers of players try things that nobody thought of during development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
often a perceived balance during playtesting is found to be incorrect after publication, as larger numbers of players try things that nobody thought of during development.
The converse is also true, players trying the published version once or twice and immediately declaring a game to be imbalanced or broken in favor of strategy or faction, despite those perceived issues having been thoroughly worked through in playtesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lucky henry wrote:

Although I have not yet played any of them, I would imagine that the COIN games would be like this. Chime in to correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking.

Although many wargames might favor a side, they often fix it by shifting the victory conditions. For example: Men of Iron or Great Battles of History make victory conditions that take into account the inability for a side to earn victory in a historical battle by shifting flight/route points to achieve victory. The COIN games don't really favor a side due to the asymmetric victory conditions.

With something like Twilight Struggle, the USSR is favored in the early war and the USA is favored in the late war. However, that isn't really a favored over the game.

Some games favor those who draw or roll lucky (cooperative games like Defenders of the Realm or competitive games like War of the Ring), but that isn't a favored faction. Other games favor those who play first but adjust the game to reduce this impact (Puerto Rico's often cited player turn order issue).

Honestly, the mentioned Memoir '44 is one of the few that comes to mind where they know the battles are so one sided that they suggest players play 2 games and see who performed the best overall with both factions. Of course, there are a lot of historical simulation games that do this. Calandale just did a playthrough of A Mighty Fortress and said with the rules as written players wouldn't realize how many VP the Lutherans are handed and they will always win - but if you break the rules as written so others understand what the victory conditions for all factions are, then that might be mitigated (but probably not). Other than that, nothing is coming to mind. In general I can't really think of any competitive game or cooperative game that tries to actively put any one player with a constant advantage over another - that is considered bad game design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk (third edition) has very one-sided missions. Unfortunately it won't be clear for a new player which side is likely to win a given scenario. In general though, the "humans" have a timer, and are generally trickier to handle, and the aliens have no timer and simpler movement. The first scenario favours the aliens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Watson
Australia
Galston
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Blood Bowl some teams are favoured. Some of it is intentional (Halflings are supposed to lose) and some is GW not caring about balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 De Mayo favors the French side at first (they have 30 troop cubes to the Spanish 10), which is historically accurate, but the onus of winning is on them - if they take too long to eliminate the Spanish forces and lock down the map, they lose the game, which means a savvy Spanish player can still win despite the power imbalance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legacy games purposely favour the publisher.

Boom-tish. Here all week. Etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.