10 Posts

Legacy of Dragonholt» Forums » General

Subject: Other similar games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew D
msg tools
mbmb
I've enjoyed this game a lot (it's brought back a lot of fond memories of reading CYOA books as a kid...) and I was wondering what other games are out there that are similar? I've seen a few referenced in other threads but figured I'd ask!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcd1982 wrote:
I've enjoyed this game a lot (it's brought back a lot of fond memories of reading CYOA books as a kid...) and I was wondering what other games are out there that are similar? I've seen a very referenced in other threads but figured I'd ask!

We have almost an entire thread dedicated to exploring alternatives, but some are further afield than others.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1893396/i-was-initially-ver... (mostly starts on the second page, but arguable begins with the collection of links in one post on the first page).

Mythos Tales is another one that is similar in vibe, with a few mechanical tweaks above and beyond Sherlock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Near and Far and also Above and Below have CYOA elements to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcd1982 wrote:
I've enjoyed this game a lot (it's brought back a lot of fond memories of reading CYOA books as a kid...) and I was wondering what other games are out there that are similar? I've seen a few referenced in other threads but figured I'd ask!

The closest thing you'll find are the adventure videogames from Telltale Games. Aside from that you are looking at a mix of modern game books (like Destiny Quest) with Time Stories (minus the stupid dice tests). SH:CD isn't the best comparison, but I get why people reference it, especially the modules that involve tracking the passage of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hughes

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Arabian Nights and its follow on of James Bond like team play. Sorry can't remember title. Same company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
lhughes41 wrote:
Arabian Nights and its follow on of James Bond like team play. Sorry can't remember title. Same company.

Are you referring to Agents of SMERSH?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
scottatlaw wrote:
mcd1982 wrote:

The closest thing you'll find are the adventure videogames from Telltale Games. Aside from that you are looking at a mix of modern game books (like Destiny Quest) with Time Stories (minus the stupid dice tests). SH:CD isn't the best comparison, but I get why people reference it, especially the modules that involve tracking the passage of time.

Oh, yes - T.I.M.E Stories is also quite similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Barbarian Prince.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bertaina
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one could find a somewhat similar CYOA "vibe" in Tales of Evil. The game is actually on KS and I don't know exactly how it will play out but it seems to be an interesting mix of storytelling elements/CYOA-flavor and a traditional dungeoncrawl. The main difference from Legacy of Dragonholt, aside from the theme of course, is that the game system isn't played exclusively on skills, but rather on dice rolls and actual skill tests. It looks very promising so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.