Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies, I'd normally have done this research on my own. However, this game is really just a present for my sister-in-law, and not a personal passion.**

Q: I purchased Imhotep as a present for my friend. Are any of the three Geek Store available mini expansions worth adding to the box, day one? She is a fairly light gamer (in experience -- she digs complexity up to and including Castles of Burgundy).

Thank you.

** - just to elaborate, I'd have to read the rules of Imhotep to understand how the expansion integrate / what they change, and that is too much for me at the moment. I'm happy to just go with consensus option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Harbaugh
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
My apologies, I'd normally have done this research on my own. However, this game is really just a present for my sister-in-law, and not a personal passion.**

Q: I purchased Imhotep as a present for my friend. Are any of the three Geek Store available mini expansions worth adding to the box, day one? She is a fairly light gamer (in experience -- she digs complexity up to and including Castles of Burgundy).

Thank you.

** - just to elaborate, I'd have to read the rules of Imhotep to understand how the expansion integrate / what they change, and that is too much for me at the moment. I'm happy to just go with consensus option.

Game does fine without any really, however if you really want to add one I'd do The Pharaoh's Favors promo, in fact that's the one I have. Seem to get more playability out of it then the other 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Love
United States
Humble
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I own all 3 and enjoy them all, though I prefer to not use them together. Technically, they can work together, but I prefer not to.

When teaching new players, Private Ships is the one that is easiest to understand/teach IMO. It’s a very simple concept, but one that actually adds some decent strategy, yet still something that could paradoxically makes the game easier for new players. In a way, it also feels like something that easily could have been part of the base game. So I’d recommend that as a possible day one option.

Pharaoh’s Favors would be my second pick, particularly if you really want to up the ante strategy-wise. I prefer to add Favors on a 2nd or 3rd play, but that could still be day one option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannis Zoulias
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want some "hands on experience", you can try the game Imhotep at Yucata.de. All 3 mini-expansions are available there.
Just make sure you play with a friend from real life, because a game with casual players there can take several days to complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karmiris wrote:
If you want some "hands on experience", you can try the game Imhotep at Yucata.de. All 3 mini-expansions are available there.
Just make sure you play with a friend from real life, because a game with casual players there can take several days to complete.

Good to know. I haven't done the rounds at Yucata in ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.