6 Posts

John Company» Forums » Rules

Subject: Company collapse post-monopoly rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lichtenstein
msg tools
Hi,

Reading the final version of the rules (as posted here on bgg) cleared all of my questions lingering from the pre-release version, but introduced a new one: how does the Company collapse work, exactly, given shares are no longer reduced after the monopoly is revoked. Is it supposed to:
A) Work literally as written - the game is over if a private company doesn't go bankrupt the very turn it was established?
B) Trigger on any bailout when competition is present?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
I'm fairly sure deregulated company failure works as follows:
1) A bailout occurs when there are no shares in the court of directors (unlikely, with no shares in the court of directors, the chairman can set a dividend of infinity pounds)
2) If a firm exists at the end of the game turn, continue on for one last turn, but the company phase is skipped (i.e. No promotions or actions, possible attrition).
3) If a firm doesn't exist at the end of the game turn (i.e. Failed), then the game ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
TGLS wrote:
1) A bailout occurs when there are no shares in the court of directors (unlikely, with no shares in the court of directors, the chairman can set a dividend of infinity pounds)
2) If a firm exists at the end of the game turn, continue on for one last turn, but the company phase is skipped (i.e. No promotions or actions, possible attrition).
3) If a firm doesn't exist at the end of the game turn (i.e. Failed), then the game ends.

Yup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lichtenstein
msg tools
Thanks for the quick reply.

So, given bailouts no longer reduce shares, it's essentially all a safeguard for court of directors attrition via chairman nominations?

Cole, may I ask you for the reasoning behind these bailout changes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Lichtenstein wrote:

Cole, may I ask you for the reasoning behind these bailout changes?

When I was working on the game I essentially had two passes at the history. The first was a general history, gained over years as I tried putting together the big shapes and systems that would eventually go into the game.

Then, when I got into development I selectively focused on particular areas of history that were giving me trouble. One of these was the company failure/bailout model. As I looked into the specifics of each of the company's many bailouts, and in the story of its deregulation, I eventually came to the conclusion that both events were far more granular than I had previously thought. So the Company's loss of monopoly is not the end so much as the beginning of a new style of operation. Likewise the bailouts were less catastrophic takeovers than rejiggers of who was in control.

That reading came somewhat late in development and I'm grateful that I had a chance to fully develop those findings into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason John
United States
Whitinsville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TGLS wrote:

Also, just so I understand: from my reading of the rules, since the game goes on for 1 more turn, the remainder of the bailout operation occurs, the executive branch gets laid off (with the ability to pay to score) and, when the game ends, it "just so happens" that there's no one left in the offices to blame, so no one gets penalized for tanking the company?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.