Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Poll: Your favorite starting country and going last
Played the game for the first time this weekend and I was player 4 and started in Syria. In hindsight, Syria seems like a bad place to start. Three out of the first four events showed up with two barbarian leaders placed with the Sassanids and a Rival Emperor in Syria! Ouch. Also, the odds of getting hit by Barbarians are pretty high in comparison with some other countries.

I studied the map afterwards, looked at some odds and looked at the event cards and came to conlusion that Brittania and Hispania seem to be good places to start. Sure you get more legacy for killing Barbarians but it's nice to have it a bit easier in the first 2-3 rounds. Hispania has no direct barbarians and no nasty events, Brittania has the Franks to deal with but only about a 5.50% chance of getting hit.

Where do you like to start?
1. Your favorite starting country/region:
Africa
Hispania
Aegyptus
Syria
Galatia
Asia
Thracia
Macedonia
Pannonia
Brittania
Gallia
2. Is going 4th (last pick) a real disadvantage?
Yes
No
      57 answers
Poll created by burrie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
BTW, besides Hispania and Brittania it looks like Gallia and Macedonia aren't too bad either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaede Farenheit
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that Gallia is the best start point. Easy to go after Rome if you need it, low probability of barbarians because they can only reach you from one province (and only 1/3 times)... plus not a lot of possible rivals early on.

I usually go for Hispania if I can. That said, I only played the game 3 times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
The poll could be being skewed by player count. Hispania is not in play for 2 or 3 player games. I've mostly played 3 player and selected Macedonia, although Hispania qualifies on the same basis (no direct barbarian invasion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Objectively I'd probably choose Hispania (very little risk of early barbarians), but I like Africa. It's only a short sail to Italy, it's away from the barbarian leaders and rival emperors, and usually you're not near any other start player 9assuming you choose it before Hispania is chosen) so hopefully you can build up for a few rounds before anyone else calls. The Nomads can be a problem, but they're only one barbarian tribe (north of the Med you often have to worry about more than one) and again hopefully you can build up an army (or build Limes) before they form numbers sufficient to set you back - in which case they become a potential source of points rather than a headache.

I think the earlier you are in the turn order the better, as it reduces the chances of having to deal with barbarians / barbarian leaders / rival emperors before you've built up an army. Having to do so can set you back a round or two, which in the early game is not good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Marshall wrote:
Objectively I'd probably choose Hispania (very little risk of early barbarians), but I like Africa. It's only a short sail to Italy, it's away from the barbarian leaders and rival emperors, and usually you're not near any other start player so hopefully you can build up for a few rounds before anyone else calls. The Nomads can be a problem, but they're only one barbarian tribe (north of the Med you often have to worry about more than one) and again hopefully you can build up an army (or build Limes) before they form numbers sufficient to set you back - in which case they become a potential source of points rather than a headache.

I think the earlier you are in the turn order the better, as it reduces the chances of having to deal with barbarians / barbarian leaders / rival emperors before you've built up an army. Having to do so can set you back a round or two, which in the early game is not good.

interesting, if it's a big enough advantage, might they come up with a tournament variant where the person who drafts location first then goes last in turn order and 2nd draft, 2nd to last to go and so on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
umrmeche wrote:
Jim Marshall wrote:
Objectively I'd probably choose Hispania (very little risk of early barbarians), but I like Africa. It's only a short sail to Italy, it's away from the barbarian leaders and rival emperors, and usually you're not near any other start player so hopefully you can build up for a few rounds before anyone else calls. The Nomads can be a problem, but they're only one barbarian tribe (north of the Med you often have to worry about more than one) and again hopefully you can build up an army (or build Limes) before they form numbers sufficient to set you back - in which case they become a potential source of points rather than a headache.

interesting, if it's a big enough advantage, might they come up with a tournament variant where the person who drafts location first then goes last in turn order and 2nd draft, 2nd to last to go and so on?

We're talking about bidding VPs for starting order in a tournament. That way players can "value" the starting position as they choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tempus42 wrote:
umrmeche wrote:
Jim Marshall wrote:

We're talking about bidding VPs for starting order in a tournament. That way players can "value" the starting position as they choose.

IMHO, that is always a good way to do it so if people feel it doesn't matter they can just bid 0. It's really only a problem if VPs are so few that you can't realistic have enough granularity to bid but with so much legacy points, bidding in increments of 1 would probably work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.