Subject: Strategy cards optional? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Anderson
United States
alpine
ut
flag msg tools
Are any of the primary abilities of strategy cards optional? For example, with the technology card do you have to do one free research and then research again for 6 resources? Or can you do and or?

I'm new to this game so sorry if I'm misunderstanding any basic concepts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the primary abilities are optional. You can use the Technology strategy card's action, and choose to not research any new technologies at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, they are not optional, though many contain optional sub-components. You also cannot pass for the round until you have activated your Strategy Card (you can never prevent the table from partaking in the secondary action eventually).

Full breakdown of mays and musts for weird corner cases:

Leadership: You must gain 3 Command Counters (unless there are less than 3 in your reinforcements). You don't have to buy more than that.

Diplomacy: You must choose a system. If you activate Diplomacy when you somehow manage to control no planets but still have some ground forces being carried in space (and therefore haven't been eliminated), technically you will not have a valid target and nothing will happen. Other players can still do the secondary.

Political: You must move the speaker token, you must draw two action cards. As a shortcut you could effectively leave the two Agenda cards on top without looking at them, but the rules state you must look at them and put them each back on top or bottom.

Construction: You may choose to not place anything for either part of the primary.

Trade: You must gain 3 Trade Goods and replenish your commodities. You don't have to choose other players to refresh for free, though any you do choose must refresh and cannot decline it.

Warfare: You must choose a token on the board to remove and gain, although if you activate Warfare as your very first action, there will be no token to choose. Other players can still do the secondary action.

Technology: You may choose to not gain any techs.

Imperial: You must score 1 point if you control Mecatol. You may choose not to score a public objective, and you may choose not to draw a new secret objective card if you don't control Mecatol Rex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe with Technology that you must Research at least one tech if you are able to. Neither the wording on the component nor the description in the RRG call this part to be optional. The description in the RRG does make the spending 6 resources optional by using the word 'may' though:

RRG - Technology (Strategy Card) wrote:
80.2 To resolve the primary ability on the “Technology” strategy
card, the active player can research one technology of his
choice. Then, he may spend six resources to research one
additional technology of his choice.

The reason why I say the first part is mandatory is due to:
RRG - Abilities wrote:
1.6 Abilities on components that remain in play are mandatory
unless they use the word “may.”

The above arguably makes the second research also mandatory, except that the RRG quote overrides that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Frödin
Sweden
Linköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IncrediSteve wrote:
Trade: You must gain 3 Trade Goods and replenish your commodities. You don't have to choose other players to refresh for free, though any you do choose must refresh and cannot decline it.

I believe that you cannot refuse the discount but I do not believe you must do the secondary if you are chosen? I mean why would you not but cannot decline?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JesperPersson wrote:
I believe that you cannot refuse the discount but I do not believe you must do the secondary if you are chosen? I mean why would you not but cannot decline?

It's in the rules:
RRG - Trade (Strategy Card) wrote:
81.4 STEP 3—The active player chooses any number of other
players. Those players use the secondary ability of this card
without spending a command token.
The chosen players must use the secondary ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going through the other cards, now that I'm home, I also note that the wording on the Construction card makes it seem mandatory, but the rulebook uses 'may'. I guess we should go with the rulebook here.

So I guess Technology is the only one I disagree with in the list above.

Edit: Actually, looking over the list again, I would say you must draw the Secret Objective for Imperial if you don't control Mecatol Rex, according to the wording in the rules. You don't have to keep it, though.

And for that matter, if there is a Public Objective you can score, I believe you must score it too. 'Can' does not equal 'may' in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
'Can' does not equal 'may' in the rules.

This is where I disagree. The RRG wordings differ on when they say a player simply does an action, or "can" do an action, and in further sub sections uses "may". I will rule that Can = May until proven otherwise by FAQ or Danemail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Winzent
Germany
flag msg tools
IncrediSteve wrote:

Warfare: You must choose a token on the board to remove and gain, although if you activate Warfare as your very first action, there will be no token to choose. Other players can still do the secondary action.

It could be the case - someone is using Diplomacy to make a System safe... and you could remove that token as your first action....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mladen Jocic
Serbia
Niš
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IncrediSteve wrote:
No, they are not optional, though many contain optional sub-components. You also cannot pass for the round until you have activated your Strategy Card (you can never prevent the table from partaking in the secondary action eventually).

Full breakdown of mays and musts for weird corner cases:

Leadership: You must gain 3 Command Counters (unless there are less than 3 in your reinforcements). You don't have to buy more than that.

Diplomacy: You must choose a system. If you activate Diplomacy when you somehow manage to control no planets but still have some ground forces being carried in space (and therefore haven't been eliminated), technically you will not have a valid target and nothing will happen. Other players can still do the secondary.

Political: You must move the speaker token, you must draw two action cards. As a shortcut you could effectively leave the two Agenda cards on top without looking at them, but the rules state you must look at them and put them each back on top or bottom.

Construction: You may choose to not place anything for either part of the primary.

Technology: You may choose to not gain any techs.

Imperial: You must score 1 point if you control Mecatol. You may choose not to score a public objective, and you may choose not to draw a new secret objective card if you don't control Mecatol Rex.

Tanks lot for this summary. I have to use this until we have some official verification

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.