7 Posts

Nusfjord» Forums » Variants

Subject: C deck variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eirik Farmen
Norway
flag msg tools
After watcing Rahdos runthrough of the game, and his criticism of the surprise With the C deck, i thought of a variant.

Mind you, i dont own the game so this might be a foolish suggestion.

Could you get one C card at the begging of each turn? (at least in a two player game, i dont know if you get more/less C Cards in a game With more players)
So you would still not have Perfect information until round 4, but you would learn more as you play.

Im getting the game anyways, but i dont know if i like the randomnes, as Rahdo pointed out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gilbertson
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
~ I can always count on a Norwegian to devise the best solution... your variant is genius, whistle
adding just enough info each round to make and/or modify one's plans (or not!), Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah this looks like a cool variant.
I think we are gone explore the game a bit more with the rules as they are and then give this a few go's to see how it holds up for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Moore
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul Grogan has recently done a vlog for Nusfjord, where he also found a problem with the C deck and suggests starting the game with two C cards so that you can work towards them, but not actually build them until round 4 when they would naturally come into play. This gives players time to work towards the C cards, instead of hitting round 4 and finding a surprise and that they are just impossible for you to work on.
A small change, that doesn't change play, but does away with the C card surprise element.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hopalong wrote:
Paul Grogan has recently done a vlog for Nusfjord, where he also found a problem with the C deck and suggests starting the game with two C cards so that you can work towards them, but not actually build them until round 4 when they would naturally come into play. This gives players time to work towards the C cards, instead of hitting round 4 and finding a surprise and that they are just impossible for you to work on.
A small change, that doesn't change play, but does away with the C card surprise element.

The downside of this is that it makes the game more like Feast for Odin (even though that's a game I love) or other traditional games that give you goals early, where you can feel more pushed into a certain strategic path because of the card.

I can understand some people prefer that route so the strategy is more laid out for them, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more you play this game the more it reveals its depths, and there is so much strategy to explore, both with and without the C buildings. Personally, I love the excitement of the round 4 offer, but of course there is an element of luck there. It just feels right to concentrate in the first few rounds on exploring the amazing combos thrown up by the A and B buildings, and then the C buildings provide potential added bonus. Sometimes you need to adapt and bend your strategy, or you luck out as you are already on the right path to one of the C buildings, and sometimes you just decide to keep going with other strategies and not do much with the C buildings.

To my inexpert eye, I guess having the C buildings out earlier might throw the game too much, as some are stronger than others, but also it might actually narrow the focus of the game if it became too much about the C buildings.

One way to perhaps mitigate the luck of the draw might be to draft rather than just deal out the round 4 C-buildings. This would increase the chances of a player landing a building that works for them, and also balance out fairness slightly, without changing the game too much as they are all public by round 6 anyway.

I still think the best thing is to just give this amazing game a chance to reveal its secrets before worrying about this. I think the round 4 reveal is just great and will continue to play it the way it was intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morris-Jeter

Des Moines
Iowa
msg tools
mb
The first several games we actually made a major mistake in this rule. In round 4, we received our 2 C cards. You weren't allowed to build them until round 6 but everyone had to add their 2 cars to the general area starting in round 6 meaning somebody could buy yours before you had a chance. The benefit was that you were given A 2 round heads up as to what at least 2 of the c cards would be. This made it so that during a 4 player game, starting in round 6, 8 c cards would be added to the general supply for anyone to buy. After we figured out we were playing it wrong, I still think I liked it better the wrong way, but my opinion could change after multiple plays. I'd like to try Paul Grogans variant as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.