yangheg chang
Singapore
flag msg tools
What do you guys think of adding a timer, and once the time is up, you have to put the card down and let your team know what you have encountered? This also encourages going back to same areas in the same/following playthrough as your team member may have left out some details.

Edit: Alternatively, it will be a combination of both time limit/hidden info cards. Some cards will have time limit icons on their back, letting you know they will be timed (e.g. in theory while you are sneaking around). On the other hand, most cards are hidden information such as conversations which will have no time limit, but you can only let your group know when you meet up with them.

-------------------------------

Edit: This might be a stretch but another idea I thought of was that UNTIL you regroup with your team members, you are unable to share details of any of your encounters. Only players who visit the same location may know the details at that point in time. But the game's time limit might have to increase to facilitate this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Adding a time limit to reading cards so there is some tension?
yangheg wrote:
What do you guys think of adding a timer, and once the time is up, you have to put the card down and let your team know what you have encountered?

Well... I've seen games of this no-kidding ruined by one person overlooking a key piece of text on a card. I think a time limit would increase the odds of that happening, so I think it's a bad idea. As I believe Oscar Wilde put it, there's only one thing worse than spending too much time reading a card... and that's not spending too much time reading a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yangheg chang
Singapore
flag msg tools
That is true, but at least now you would go through the entire game again and might be surprised that you missed out some key information (if another player went to visit it instead).

Otherwise, you would just have to go through the motion again everytime you lost the game, which my group didn't like.

This is my thought after 3 tries at the base game. There was literally no point having to read the card in your own words since you can just place it face up for everyone to see (you could take an hour to memorise the entire card alternatively while following the game rules). Just like Pandemic, why would you conceal your card if you could let everyone know exactly what cards you have?

Which is why i also added in an edit at the end, suggesting that perhaps, only players who visited that location knows the information. Hence there is some hidden information. Of course, tweaks have to be made to the game (e.g increasing the number of turns players have) due to this possibility of players screwing up. Furthermore, after restarting the game few times, you would piece together all the bits of information you did not fully read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I think it's a horrible idea. Our game of Under the Mask was close to ruined and became super frustrating because of a player overlooking one piece of info. It wasn't fun to go back to every single location to try and find what we had missed.

You can already send different players to see cards that they haven't seen in previous runs (either to mix it up or to check that nothing was overlooked) even without artificial constraints, so I just don't see the point. If you're playing each run the same way, with each person going to see the same cards as before, the problem might not be with the game itself. Of course each group can play with the variants they prefer, but I don't see us using time limits ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, no. This would ruin the game. it would add stress and not tension, and that's a bad thing.
The game isn't about rushing to read the cards quickly. It is about reading them, talking about them with others, solving the puzzle, working together. It is not a race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yangheg chang
Singapore
flag msg tools
Alternatively, it will be a combination of both time limit/hidden info cards. Some cards will have time limit icons on their back, letting you know they will be timed (e.g. in theory while you are sneaking around). On the other hand, conversations have no time limit, but you can only let your group know when you meet up with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
yangheg wrote:
On the other hand, conversations have no time limit, but you can only let your group know when you meet up with them.
The members of the group are in constant contact with each other telepathically as far as I remember.
Sorry, but an artificial time limit and hidden info on cards just sounds like it would completely ruin the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a no. I can't imagine this being needed.

One, it's an investigation game. Why would you put a timer on looking for clues; that goes against the genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
yangheg wrote:
Alternatively, it will be a combination of both time limit/hidden info cards. Some cards will have time limit icons on their back, letting you know they will be timed (e.g. in theory while you are sneaking around). On the other hand, conversations have no time limit, but you can only let your group know when you meet up with them.

What problem did you have with the game that this is trying to solve?

I feel like you're putting an artificial restraint on the game for a reason, maybe understanding why you feel it would improve the game would help us provide better feedback. As written it sounds like it would just make the game much less enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did you feel the need to visit the same locations and read the same cards again? You should move fast to the point where you can continue the exploration. Don't try to obtain an object if you don't know what you need it for. (Although, Asylum might be a bit more strict with the path you have to take than other scenarios, so there is a bit more repetition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not as a general rule, no, but
Spoiler (click to reveal)
there is already a card in the game that has a real-time limit on it.

You are supposed to be highly trained Agents working the field, trained to investigate and interact with the environment in which you are placed, why do you think the players need a timer other than the one provided by the TU track (each tick of which can cover time intervals of minutes to hours).

There is a point to describing the card in your own words (not least of which you are not supposed to place them face up), and that's to build the shared story-telling experience, besides, reading verbatim is boring, and not all cards have text to read, but may contain vital information.

As Paul already mentioned above, all Agents are able to communicate telepathically, unless something on a card prohibits that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.