Subject: How does it compare to Heroscape? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
steffan kristensen
Denmark
Esbjerg
flag msg tools
mbmb
From a guy who has played a lot, and owns a ton, of Heroscape. This game has peaked my interest.

On the surface, they seem kinda similar. Draft some army units with unique stats and special abilities, up to a predetermined max cost. And battle it out on a 3d battlefield (Heroscape being true 3d, and mythic has climb/flying rules for navigating the terrain), rolling dice for combat etc.

However, setup time seems a lot shorter with Mythic, since you have a board instead of 8 buckets of "legos"
The cards also seem interesting, can't really decide if I find it better or worse than the activation markers in heroscape.

Theming and overall art/look might be more appealing in Mythic, but there's also great joy to be had with you Robot/Dinosaur/Zombie/Samurai army in Heroscape

Mythic seems a bit more fiddly. Especially the roll 5 on a dice rule. But maybe it works quite nicely. Haven't played the game

Anyways. I was curious what you guys think of the two games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the game is absolutely brilliant!
and the dice mechanism is genius, once you get your head around it! hahaha
but as an experienced gamer you will get it after rolling two or three times.

One of the big plus for me is that the battles always have an extreme tension level and are super interesting until the very end. Everything can change within a couple of turns and it keeps you always on your toes.
also the miniatures (compared to Heroscape) are beyond gorgeous and absolutely awesome!!!! You really "feel" that huge Titan stomping around on the battleffield.

I hope I could help!
cheers,
Loig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also a huge Heroscape fan and am hoping that this game can rekindle some of that old love and joy that HS used to give.

Although they are similar as far as drafting an assorted army and rollimg dice to skirmish on a map goes, I've noticed the meta is very different.

In MBP you have a god with a bullseye painted on it's head. So unlike HS where you need to eliminate every last figure, in MB you can just make a mad dash for the enemy god and kill them for the win.

Or in MBP you can sneak in an omphalos victory and mostly avoid combat all together.

So the meta of the game is very different than HS.

I think the most satisfying mode will be the variant where you get points based on killing figures and are encouraged to fight the whole army and not just go for the god.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
I am also a huge Heroscape fan and am hoping that this game can rekindle some of that old love and joy that HS used to give.

Me too. Back in the day, Heroscape was more than just a game for me and my boys...it was a gaming hobby.

I religiously searched for boosters at the store, made custom figures from other minis, re-purposed other plastic bits for terrain, endlessly posted on Heroscapers, etc, etc.

Now, I am ready to live it again with MB: P! This time I'm getting it all in one big shot (Titan pledge), painting minis, building 3D boards, and posting endlessly here in the MB: P forums. I have no doubt this will be my hobby for years to come.

Game wise, AoW card management seems more sophisticated than order markers, the differentiation between types of units seems more pronounced, the push-your-luck dice mechanic gives more choice, and most importantly the robust scenarios provide a lot more play options.

Initial descriptions of the game play (haven't gotten my copy yet) has me thinking of MB: P as chess compared to Heroscape as checkers.

I'll probably post a comparison review once I receive it and play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
I think it should be easy enough to customise victory conditions for this game in skirmish.

For one, when playing a 3-4 player free for all I would allow defeated players to continue playing with their remaining forces after their god died. They wouldnt be able to recall troops though.
Even if they can't win anymore, they can play a part in making someone else lose.

Also the amount of points for armies can be modified. I would not go too far with that since adding too much points might make it all too unwieldy, but something like giving each army in a 4 player game as much points as in a 2 player game seems good enough.
Just need to use two boards there for balance.

Which brings me to another option: Playing two 1vs1 games, and once each game has a victor the boards could be shoved together for round two where the winners continue with their forces and deck as it was when they won.

In case of omphalos victory, for this second round it could require seven omphalos in total to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guest guest
United States
Danvers
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
What do you guys think about a huge 4-player game with 4 boards put together and significantly more RP for each player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Havelock Vetinari
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhalius wrote:
Even if they can't win anymore, they can play a part in making someone else lose.

Ewww! That's called Kingmaking and it should be avoided at all cost!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guest wrote:
What do you guys think about a huge 4-player game with 4 boards put together and significantly more RP for each player?

This is definitely something I am panning on trying to impliment right out of the gate.
I want to do massive armies with 20+ points in recruitment.

The only concern is that the bigger the deck, the less likely you'll see the cards you need.
So I think houseruling drawing extra cards would balance it more.
Like draw 2 cards every turn and an AoW card draws you 3 extra cards. This was you can have a massive army and be guaranteed a better chance of activating the troops you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve played and own Heroscape. Seemed too simplistic of a game overall. I really disliked that you could only activate one of your units per round. Overall that seemed like a strange design choice. Why not keep activating your most powerful unit to run around and stomp everybody?

The original Mythic Battles did not have the gods and you just played until you reduced your opponent’s army down to 2 units. It was glorious and played very well. I will be testing something similar to this when I get my MBP.

As far as it compares, these are two different games. Heroscape has hex based movement, very random dice rolls (it used a d20) and single unit activation each round (but freedom on which unit you activate).

MBP has area based movement, low randomness dice rolls (they are a little confusing at first but they create a more consistent spread than most games) and a ‘fog of war’ activation system. What I mean by the latter is that you draw activation cards and are limited by them as to which unit you can activate each turn. That being said, the game gives you Art of War cards that gives you the choice to go looking for the unit activation card that you need. But it gets a little more complicated due to the fact that each unit has a limited number of cards and if you’ve used them all already, you will not be able to activate that unit further in that round.

So to me, Heroscape was a beer and pretzels game. Fun but it had limited (or rather obvious) choices.

MBP represents a game that is full of choices and low randomness meaning that your decisions are critical.

That’s just my take on the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I have the game and had a chance to play... I can say the two games definitely "feel" different.

At the end of the day the are both "dudes on a map", but in terms of how you play the game there are a lot of differences.

I will try to write something up soon.

Also, here's a scale comparison for the inevitable questions about a "crossover" game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.