Concordia» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How many times you (tipically) play the tribune? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lolazzaro lolazzaro
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
I played a 4p-game last weekend, our first with on the Germania map, and if I recalled correctly I played the Tribune card only 2 times. I bought 4 cards before my first Tribune (and 4 later), I used twice all my cards and the game finished when I had only one or two cards left (11+13+13 rounds). I finished the game with 12 houses and 146 points (winning). I think it was a quite stretched game, it finished when one player who bought the last 2 cards just before the following player built her last 2 houses (it lasted about 150').

I understand that it was an extreme case but generally I try to use (almost) all my other cards before playing the tribune and I was wondering if playing it more often to keep more options available would be a viable strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play my Tribune to retime my turns relative to the other players depending on what cards have been bought and what I want to do. The Forum tiles from the expansion also play a role in playing that early or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a discussion about OPENING with a Tribune the other week. I think it’s a valid move in 1st seat on tight maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a typical strategy for this game. Instead I try a different strategy each time depending on turn order, city locations, and what cards are available in the market. I have even used a strategy to play the tribune on my first turn, in order to place a third colonist immediately and expand my travel options. It sounds like you made a good choice this time to use a strategy of buying many cards. Various strategies are well-balanced in this game, which is the beauty of its design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Typically? -- hard to say; it would be interesting to see some real statistics. It probably depends on many factors, e.g. on a crowded map I'd guess more tribuning happens since building is more expensive on average.

My rough impression is perhaps roughly 4 times in a "typical" game (which for me means 2-player games usually), but I am not sure since I don't carefully track it, alas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer in my last play was "once too often" whistle

I played my Tribune for the fourth and final time only because I didn't spot the chance to Diplomat another player's Consul, which would have let me grab a Mars card in a high slot, which would have won. The ending was rushed before my next turn by someone building their last four houses. I finished second by two points.

I think the money that comes from playing maximum cards before the Tribune isn't nearly as important as buying effective cards with the Senator, cards which you buy for immediate play value as much or more than for the points multipliers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Qualm wrote:

I played my Tribune for the fourth and final time only because I didn't spot the chance to Diplomat another player's Consul, which would have let me grab a Mars card in a high slot,

My number-one Concordia strategy tip is ‘always ask yourself FIRST whether you should play a diplomat’.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornucopia on Rhine
lolazzaro wrote:
I played a 4p-game last weekend, our first with on the Germania map, and if I recalled correctly I played the Tribune card only 2 times. I bought 4 cards before my first Tribune (and 4 later), I used twice all my cards and the game finished when I had only one or two cards left (11+13+13 rounds). I finished the game with 12 houses and 146 points (winning). I think it was a quite stretched game, it finished when one player who bought the last 2 cards just before the following player built her last 2 houses (it lasted about 150').

I understand that it was an extreme case but generally I try to use (almost) all my other cards before playing the tribune and I was wondering if playing it more often to keep more options available would be a viable strategy.

Well clearly your strategy worked, but without a view of the board set up and a better idea of the flow of the game it isn't easy to offer strategy advice, so instead I'll make a few observations.

In a 4 player game there are 26 Cards to purchase and they were all taken, so your 8 cards were more than a fair share (you left your opponents with an average of 6 plus one with the Concordia). Ignoring the Vesta you have 14 scoring Cards so each is managing to average scoring at 10+, not unexpected given you also deployed 12 houses.

The Germania board is very friendly at 4 players; movement is more swift due to the enhanced movement boost from river Colonists and so incomes expand more quickly, there is the odd freebie from the forts and players seldom have to coexist early on when the money is short. As a result I've found it plays out more quickly than the Mediterranean board and 120 minutes is not unusually fast. I don't think I'd consider it below 5 players now, except as an intro for new players looking to widen their experience.

I think the generosity of the board is proved by your purchase of 4 cards before Tribuning, meaning you had enough resources to expand competitively and Diplomat someone else's Tribune in the space of 9 cards. I don't think you'll manage anything like that on a tighter board, so you will have to play the Tribune earlier as a natural consequence.

The brilliant thing about Concordia is that it is an easy to understand system, so you have to get your edge over others on a game by game basis, depending on the randomised starting position and more importantly, your opponents' actions. Your plan worked this time. If you stick with it, without paying due care and attention in every game, you will find someone has handed you your head and you won't quite know why.

Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lolazzaro lolazzaro
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
misteralan wrote:
I think the generosity of the board is proved by your purchase of 4 cards before Tribuning, meaning you had enough resources to expand competitively and Diplomat someone else's Tribune in the space of 9 cards. I don't think you'll manage anything like that on a tighter board, so you will have to play the Tribune earlier as a natural consequence.

I was first player, hence the first 2 houses were easy to get for cheap. I was also quite lucky with the cards market and the timing of the diplomats. I did not want to suggest that I cracked the game; and this is how the game should be played.
I report a summary of that game because I think it is an extreme case; is it possible to play the Tribune less than 2 times?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tribute
lolazzaro wrote:
misteralan wrote:
I was first player, hence the first 2 houses were easy to get for cheap. I was also quite lucky with the cards market and the timing of the diplomats. I did not want to suggest that I cracked the game; and this is how the game should be played.
I report a summary of that game because I think it is an extreme case; is it possible to play the Tribune less than 2 times?
I'd wasn't suggesting you were boasting, simply that the Germania board is very generous and it's probably meant to play this way for a quicker game at high counts. I myself will cheerfully attempt to defer a Tribune, assuming there is something sensible as an alternative; I long ago gave up on perfect plans so far as Concordia is concerned.

I doubt anyone could Tribune less and be competitive, but if it can be done I'm sure we'll hear about it soon. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.