United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I shared this on reddit but thought I would post it here as well since some people there really seemed to enjoy it. I hadn't seen a fully painted and magnetized set up before, and I have to say I was pretty pleased with the outcome.

A few questions I got frequently:

My idea behind the project: I decided a full "7 point" magnetization just wasn't for me. I tried it at first and ultimately felt like the models were just too unstable. That's when I decided to do a set with "weapons only." In my mind the two defining traits of a character are what armor they are wearing and what they are wielding. Sure this doesn't get you 100% WYSIWYG but it's close enough for me. I'd been looking forward to KD for quite a long while up to its arrival and decided I really wanted to pimp my game out.

My methods: Pretty simple actually. Bought 250 1mmx1mm n52 magnets (found here: https://www.guysmagnets.com//neodymium-magnets-c11/guys-magn...). Used a simple hand drill selecting the 1mm width drill bit (https://www.amazon.com/tool-home-Precision-Model-Drill-Twist...). I would fully assemble the survivor EXCEPT for the arms. Drill approximately 1.5-2mm into the forearm. Then insert a magnet into the hole (it's notable that I enforced polarity across the entirety of left hand/ right handedness for the whole set). After that I simply flattened out the wrist of the hand on the weapon and glued a correctly polarized magnet onto it. This allows the weapon to be "slotted into" the arm of the model. Makes for a nice firm fit. I then complete assembly of the now handless model, prime and paint. I would generally complete one complete sprue of models at a time, so finish painting all unarmored survivors and weapons on their sprues, lion survivors and weapons on their sprues, etc.

Red bases! I am a huge fan of the anime/ manga "Berserk," which Kingdom Death draws a lot of its inspiration from. In that series there is a demonic world where the ground is an endless horizon of red/ bloody faces. The bases were all supplied by Rain City Hobbies. Not everyone loves their style, but I personally love the "strange/ weird" vibe they give off. Plus they are simply available and gave me an easy pain free basing process.

Some of the paint is probably a little sloppier than I might have wanted, but I'm pretty happy with the results for having received the game on Nov 2. Finished the entire project on Dec 2. It's notable that I'm not exactly a novice to painting/ modeling, been messing with it off and on for the last 20 years since I discovered a love for Warhammer in high school. Was kind of frenziedly painting/ modeling AS my group played their sessions, trying to get monsters/ armor/ weapons done as we were going to need them. This was done around working a full time job and making time for family! I finished the core game monsters too and there are a few pics of them at the end, they're just pretty standard paint jobs though I LOVE the models so much and they hold a special place in my heart.

Anyways thanks for checking out my work and enjoy the gallery!

Some fully assembled shots of the models with weapons on:

I decided to go with a kind of "out of darkness/ shadow" scheme for these prologue narrative models. Kind of quirky but I only use them for one fight before swapping in the modular unarmored survivors.

Unarmored.

Rawhide armor.

Lion armor.

Antelope armor.

Leather armor.

Phoenix armor.

Lantern armor.

A shot of all 112 weapons, each magnetized and ready to go on any survivor!

Stored away.

The gang with no hands on...

Showing off here how some of the modularity works for weapon swapping. A couple pictures of a leather armor character vs a phoenix armor character with the same weapon loadouts.

And here's our current party!

Also did my squad of monsters. I know not everyone loves the Rain City bases, but I was quite happy with the way they tied everything together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Futterer
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
Kingdom Death: Monster
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
just WOOW. you are awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Piperni
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, awesome. Good job, must have taken forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suicide Kings wrote:

Thanks! I would work on it most evenings after work for a few hours and a good bit on the weekends. If I had to give a rough estimate on time I would put it at around 60 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Impressive.

Nicely done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Rehker
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phillipsjr2 wrote:
Suicide Kings wrote:

Thanks! I would work on it most evenings after work for a few hours and a good bit on the weekends. If I had to give a rough estimate on time I would put it at around 60 hours.

Wow that is quick... for me it would be more like 600+
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you looking for a spouse? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good God, what a talent you have. I’m super jealous of the display here. I wants it, my precocious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JONATHAN TAYLOR
United States
Sonoma
Unspecified
flag msg tools
no theme=just maths
badge
a TOAD for 3 turns
mbmbmbmbmb
WOWOWOWOW!!! How many hours do you think it took to do the magnets? And just curious how many hours to assemble, magnetize and paint?.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude likes red.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vaccaro
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phillipsjr2 wrote:
60 hours.

That's it!? Impressive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
Dude likes red.

It makes things go fasta
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
navaccaro wrote:
phillipsjr2 wrote:
60 hours.

That's it!? Impressive.
With 40 minis, that is only 1.5 hours a mini!!!

/mind_blown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Prophet
msg tools
Very well done. This is a great compromise. Although I'm in my first campaign, I can see what you mean that visually the weapon choices matter more than the subtle armor choices. Picking whatever armor you have the majority of is close enough for flavor. I might copy this approach if I ever decide to do the armor kits.

There is something to be said for memorializing a particular character with their exact build. But over time, this modularity is probably more appropriate for most people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing.

That is way too a massive project for me, but I'd love that setup if someone else had the time to devote to pimping my set like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to share all these pics! Really fun to see. I imagine your group has a blast kitting out their chosen mini before each showdown.

I can imagine people choosing the most practical for their character but then choosing the coolest looking weapons for their actual mini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chickenman wrote:
WOWOWOWOW!!! How many hours do you think it took to do the magnets? And just curious how many hours to assemble, magnetize and paint?.?

The time on the magnets was weird, since I took a lot of time to experiment and figure out exactly what I wanted to do moving forward. I spent an afternoon trying different things with the unarmored survivor kit, but after I had all 4 magnetized on the shoulders/ hands/ waist/ head they were just... not what I wanted. I pulled the magnets out and glued everything in but the wrists. I was TEMPTED to add heads, but to be honest a lot of the heads just don't fit well on other body types due to shoulders/ hair.

After I had figured out how I wanted to magnetize the actual drilling and application didn't take very long. I also got better at it as time passed, learned how to hold the drill better and apply the right amount of force. I'd say by my last few kits I could get a whole sprue magnetized figures + weapons in about 30 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
Video of magneticiing process???

Also, nice table!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing work, really well done.. I wish I had this on my table!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rowena S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YOU ARE AMAZING.
Incredibly job on finishing everything so fast, but the best part is all the reed! I LOVE the idea of sticking close to Berserk with this color scheme. I myself just read the manga after hearing that KD:M is based on the design and I really enjoyed it. Cannot wait for the next chapters XD

Also I like the overall style of your painting scheme. And your white lion is great! And all other monsters, too XD

Now I wanna magnetize my game, too <__<"""""

But one question... do you really change wepaons often enough to say, that all this work was worth it? Just curious XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaomoji wrote:
YOU ARE AMAZING.
Incredibly job on finishing everything so fast, but the best part is all the reed! I LOVE the idea of sticking close to Berserk with this color scheme. I myself just read the manga after hearing that KD:M is based on the design and I really enjoyed it. Cannot wait for the next chapters XD

Also I like the overall style of your painting scheme. And your white lion is great! And all other monsters, too XD

Now I wanna magnetize my game, too <__<"""""

But one question... do you really change wepaons often enough to say, that all this work was worth it? Just curious XD

I'd say we change weapons or armor around once or twice a game on lantern year 17. We've never played before though so we're often trying out new combinations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.