Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve W
United States
Rio Medina
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sorry to add to the sheer volume of app-related threads, but I'm gonna do it anyways!

I picked up the core for a steal from B&N thanks to all the heads-up from you fellow gamers. Our group loves co-op stuff, and we all love Star Wars, so it was a no-brainer. I also asked around locally and found a pretty sweet lot from someone looking to get out of the game (I believe they played the skirmish style). I'm buying the lot as-is, and will end up with some duplicate packs: another core set, rebel troopers, saboteurs, and smugglers.

If we ONLY plan on playing this game with the app, is their any reason to own duplicates of anything? I noticed there wasn't an option to add quantities to your collection; it seems like you either mark that you own it or that you don't (unless I just didn't dig deep enough into the app).

We tried one vs many games before and it was never fun losing a person to play DM. It just doesn't work for our little group.

Also, should I even bother learning the normal rules for the game or just read the rulebook for the app?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nope
badge
Still nope
mbmbmbmbmb
Dupes are only useful for skirmish, really, unless you are substituting minis to replace the cardboard tokens, say a duplicate AT-ST for General Weiss, etc.
Also, I'd personally learn the core set rules before trying the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
grandmasterstevo wrote:
If we ONLY plan on playing this game with the app, is their any reason to own duplicates of anything?

At the moment: no.

In the future: probably not.

There are only a few rules differences, the basic rules are the same (in the same way the Skirmish and Campaign rules are the same).

You will need to learn both the "regular" rules and the App-specific rules or changes. You should probably start by reading the LotA rulebook, then play the App's tutorial, then read through the core's Learn to Play (should be easy now), and skim the Rules Reference Guide so that you know which concepts and rules it contains and can more easily refer to it when needed.

After that start a new LotA campaign with the heroes of your choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary McCloskey
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure that there could be both regular and elite units being used during app play. Maybe not now but could be in the future. I have played the imperial player in regular 1 vs many campaigns and have both regular and elite unit figures. Meaning two of say hired guns and others. That way I have an elite unit and a regular unit. I have not played the app yet so I can't verify that it will use both types of units in a campaign. I would at least have two so you can have both elite and regular but that is your choice on that matter. The core box has enough pieces for regular and elite units of the non unique characters. Meaning the ones that are not named. Like Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
supersayian wrote:
I have not played the app yet so I can't verify that it will use both types of units in a campaign.

Only core / wave 1 imperial/mercenary figures are supported right now.

In the future: possibly, but not something to worry about now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grandmasterstevo wrote:
Sorry to add to the sheer volume of app-related threads, but I'm gonna do it anyways!

laugh why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forsetius
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Captain Terro has an alternate upper body and that in the standard 1v4 campaign there is a chance of both being on the board at the same time. Also, as was mentioned, the AT-ST General Weiss but that is actually a separately sold model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forsetius wrote:
I believe Captain Terro has an alternate upper body and that in the standard 1v4 campaign there is a chance of both being on the board at the same time. Also, as was mentioned, the AT-ST General Weiss but that is actually a separately sold model.

The Dewback Rider is only found from Terro's figure expansion, and there are different riders to configure either Dewback Rider or Terro. Terro and the Dewback Rider are not used at the same time in that mission though. If you have his figure pack and have gained Terro as a villain and want to have both in the same mission at the same time, you have the Captain Terro token from Jabba's Realm. Having two packs would replace the token with a figure.

AT-ST and General Weiss can appear at the same time in the core campaign. You have the General Weiss token, or replace it with Weiss's figure pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.