Foolish Media
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Hello!

I am Chad, I'm with Foolish Media, and we are getting ready to send out first game, Oh Cluck, to Kickstarter in Mid / Late January.

We are currently mulling over our options for Add Ons, and Stretch Goals, and we have been trying to figure out what Add Ons people actually care about.

Shirts / Beanies, Stickers, Sleeves, Playmats, Art Prints, seem to be the most common Add Ons that I see from campaigns, but I'm just not sure how many people actually care about Add Ons.

So, I'm here to ask for your opinion. If you are looking at a campaign for a Game, do you care about add ons?

Is there an Add-on that you wished would be offered, that you don't see often enough?

We're not looking at this as a cash grab. We're looking at this game being the first of many games that we bring to the Gaming hobby, and we'd rather not bog down prospective customers with options they don't care about.

Thanks in advance, I look forwarding to hearing back from you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NZ Nick
United States
Medford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Foolish_Media wrote:
Shirts / Beanies, Stickers, Sleeves, Playmats, Art Prints, seem to be the most common Add Ons that I see from campaigns,

Weird, not a single campaign that i have backed has offered any of these things, except for playmats.

I like Metal coins, upgraded bits, thicker cardboard, better cardstock, linen finishes... stuff that makes the game look, handle, and last better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Foolish Media
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
But are those Add-ons, or Stretch Goals?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
Foolish_Media wrote:
Shirts / Beanies, Stickers, Sleeves, Playmats, Art Prints, seem to be the most common Add Ons that I see from campaigns,

Weird, not a single campaign that i have backed has offered any of these things, except for playmats.

I like Metal coins, upgraded bits, thicker cardboard, better cardstock, linen finishes... stuff that makes the game look, handle, and last better.
Many of these that you list are not Addons, but Stretch Goals

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Foolish_Media wrote:
Apart (perhaps) for the Metal Coins in that list, they are SGs.

For Addons, I look for things like Playmats, Draw bags, Alternate Dice (e.g. larger sizes or deluxe finishes), Sleeves (depending on the game and the sleeves offered), storage solutions. I do not look for clothing, art, signed items of any sort, or anything not related to playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hankins
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Foolish_Media wrote:
Shirts / Beanies, Stickers, Sleeves, Playmats, Art Prints, seem to be the most common Add Ons that I see from campaigns, but I'm just not sure how many people actually care about Add Ons.

Sleeves would be convenient (preferably with a few extra for replacements). Playmat may be tempting depending on the game. Rest is unlikely to interest me though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Foolish_Media wrote:

Depends on the campaign. Metal coins have been both, the other items are more commonly stretch goals. You did say...

Foolish_Media wrote:
We are currently mulling over our options for Add Ons, and Stretch Goals,

So it seemed worth mentioning.

Mini-expansions, and full expansions, are also common add-ons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debbie Moynihan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Things that interest me include Upgraded box, additional expansion packs, deluxe items that enhance gameplay

I don't really know quite what to do with art prints or an art book but I would love to see notecards with art sketches - something more practical. Stickers would be cool if I like the art but I never see those on the campaigns, I've seen people give them away at booths. Once you build a fan base then there will be more of an interest in accessories like shirts, hats, etc.

A dice bag was something i saw as a stretch goal but that is the type of thing I would buy as an add-on personally if it was nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debbie Moynihan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should add that we have done boxes, sleeves, additional game boards (to add players), dice (even though they aren't required for Star Realms or Hero Realms people still buy them), playmats, and expansion packs successfully and we sell our other product lines as add-ons as well.

our latest campaign is here https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1172937197/sorcerer-1?r... ending in a couple days

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. Given your listing, I feel like you should do a bit more research. Things like t-shirts and such - these do not strongly correlate to success. Find KS campaigns that have succeeded that are targeted to the same gaming market that you are. That's the key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Foolish Media
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
adamw wrote:
Hmm. Given your listing, I feel like you should do a bit more research. Things like t-shirts and such - these do not strongly correlate to success. Find KS campaigns that have succeeded that are targeted to the same gaming market that you are. That's the key.

That's what we have been looking at, and trying to understand, what people want. We have seen very successful campaigns that offer Little to no addons, and have succeeded. We've seen campaigns that have offered what feels like the entirety of the custom ink catalog as add ons, and have done well.

Currently, we're looking at

Base Game
Deluxe Game
Expac (stretch goal added Add On)

as the Product, but the Add ons for Card Games that have been successful, especially in the more "light" party type game have been so varied, that it feels like a toss up on what to try and invest resources in.

Which is why I'm here, trying to find out what people like as Add Ons. I appreciate all the feedback so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
Be careful that you don't meet your funding level through many non-game add-ons while not having enough pledges for the game print-run to break even.

If you need $5000 for the game print-run but $2000 of the pledges is for t-shirts (of which you only get $200 in actual profit) then you are screwed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchant
United Kingdom
Staines
Middlesex
flag msg tools
Who on earth gets add ons like shirts and hats?

Taking a punt on a game make sense if it looks good, but what possible appeal can none game related items be?

Personally, I only care about price and additional items that add gameplay. Fancier tokens and better card stock are nice to have but little influence for me.

anything base game improving should be a stretch goal, but should only be minor extras. Any major functionality improvements should be included in base

If a campaign charges me extra for stretch goals I'm out (unless price is already quite cheap)

Expansions I'm torn on, if I'm paying £40+ on a game and then shipping costs, I'd be loathe to pay extra for a game. But conversely I know this may be the only chance I'll get to buy that expansion. The AP from this has stopped me backing before...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Foolish Media
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
This is EXCELLENT Feedback. Thank you for this. At this point, we are looking at Stretch Goals being upgrades only, or maybe as an "unlock" for the Expansion. Meaning, that we could then sell the Expac at a lower price than required if we included it as an add on. Most of the printers we are looking at require 1,000 units. If we stretch goal the unlocking of the expac, it allows us to cover some of the cost of getting extra expac units printed in the base funding.

I've been trying to reign in what the campaign is going to have. I look at some of the most successful party game kickstarters, and they aren't trying to sell you the moon, they're selling add ons. I'd rather sell the other pieces on our own site, at cons, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.