6 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy – Borg Assimilation» Forums » Rules

Subject: Defeat of the Borg rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Nickholder
msg tools
Hi,

what are the conditions to defeat the Borg as a faction? Must all cubes and all systems be destroyed? Or all systems and - if in play - the transwarp hubs?

thanks!
Daniel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Borg cannot really be defeated. You can destroy all the cubes but more will appear. The hub cannot be destroyed.

The goal of the game is unchanged: reach five ascendancy or conquer two other home worlds. The Borg just serve to complicate the game and drive players to work together for mutual safety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no "beating" the Borg. You just need to win the game per normal before the Borg assimilate you.

EDIT: Ninja'ed by Todd....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grossman
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. There is nothing in the rules that I could find that talks about eliminating the Borg. Even if you destroy the transwarp hub, all the cubes and every other spire, I think they could still come back via Borg crisis and Borg civilization cards in the exploration deck.

EDIT: ninja'd. Also, transwarp hub can't be destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bigness
msg tools
Q said it best when Picard tried taking on the Borg.

"You can't outrun them, you can't destroy them. If you damage them, the essence of what they are remains. They regenerate and keep coming. Eventually you will weaken. Your reserves will be gone. They are relentless!" - Q

Other than someone like The Q, the only race that we ever saw almost defeat them was species 8472. and they would have if Voyager hadn't Gotten involved. Makes me hope they make an encounter card for Species 8472 somewhere down the line just to mess with the Borg! LOL!

"I Don't Like Bullies" - Capt. Janeway

You could always Houserule A way to defeat them. (Invasive Program comes to mind) LOL!

They Definitely Put terror into the game in a fun new way that's for sure!

Nothing more terrifying than looking around the gaming table and realizing everyone but you has been assimilated, and now there coming for you next! Can we say OMG! Moment! LOL!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Annesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
You could actually block the borg if you manage to get a ship to the hub. As they can be in the same system the borg can't get through?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.