Subject: Any chance of turning the mechanics into a stand-alone game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randall Barnes
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my group likes the setting, art, and the feeling of playing this version to the point that we'll be a little sad when it's over. I was wondering (hoping) if there's any chance that down the line we could see this put out as a balanced, self-contained game without the Legacy aspect. Just Pandemic: Rebuild or something like that. Please Z Man?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see it. They've already done the work of developing it, to some extent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
get off of the computer.
badge
play the games you have.
mbmbmb
Isn't the upcoming Pandemic: Rising Tide mechanically similar?

edit: not really, it seems!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Would you ever really want to see an angel?
mbmbmbmbmb
swingjunkie wrote:
So my group likes the setting, art, and the feeling of playing this version to the point that we'll be a little sad when it's over. I was wondering (hoping) if there's any chance that down the line we could see this put out as a balanced, self-contained game without the Legacy aspect. Just Pandemic: Rebuild or something like that. Please Z Man?

After playing the first month or so, I thought it would be worthwhile to hold onto the game after finishing the campaign to be able to play a variant with supply cubes instead of infection cubes. But I have no idea how to balance the number of cubes against a regular Pandemic board, or exactly which version of the ever-changing Legacy ruleset to use in a stand-alone game. I don't really want to put $$ or shelf space into another Pandemic box, but it would be nice to have a clear set of rules to reuse the components already purchased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dennis
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
That's not what you're getting with a legacy game though. One-time use and then toss it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
After season 1 the State of Emergency expansion came out which channeled a couple of ideas from that season into modular expansions. Season 2 is a lot more different from regular Pandemic, so don't know how likely it is we will see something similar, but maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack F
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Azotochtli wrote:
That's not what you're getting with a legacy game though. One-time use and then toss it.

There are other legacy games that are working on at least partially fixing that problem, though.

Charterstone features a double-sided board, and by purchasing a recharge pack (which is much cheaper than another game), you can play through the campaign again.

The upcoming Aeon's End: Legacy features a recharge pack that you can buy for the game and notes that you can continue buying recharge packs to play the game as many times as you like without buying a new base game.

And if you don't like the idea of buying even recharge packs to replay again, there's stuff like Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle. That has a kind of legacy mechanic where each game introduces more cards and new mechanics, but it doesn't use stickers. Instead, once you finish Game 7, you can reseal everything and play from the beginning again. And it has an expansion, The Monster Box of Monsters, which adds even more scenarios to play through.

I also recall an interview with one of the designers of Pandemic Legacy after Season 1 dropped. The interviewer expressed concern that they were creating a game that could only be played 12 times. To which the designer responded with something along the lines of "No, we created a game that we were sure people would play at least 12 times." I think that's a pretty commendable design philosophy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.