Jamie Johnson
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks,

So, we've had some interest in a 5 player expansion for Museum. However, it's not a simple thing to do as the game was neither designed nor budgeted for 5 players...

We've tested the 5 player mode recently and it works, it's fun and we feel comfortable including it. There are some issues though:

Price: As a 5th player would require a fair amount of extra material it would have to be an add-on and cost between 6-9€

Space: The extra board may not fit into the plastic instert in the box.

Quantities: In order for this to be viable, we need to guage just how many gamers would be interested.

So:

Poll
Would you be interested in a 5th player add-on?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Yes
67.9% 125
No
32.1% 59
Voters 184
This poll is now closed.   184 answers
Poll created by WhelpSlayer
Closes: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:00 am

Let us know what you think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. A.
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely! Any option that can get more people on the table is always welcome.

So, I guess 5 players will amount to around 90 minutes of total game time now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right on baby !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stéphane Gérard
msg tools
mb
I say YES because having a new unique Alternative Layout for a 5th Museum is great.
More choices to play in an asymetric way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
val kriss
msg tools
5eme player is absolutely necessary for me

i wait it !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Pillai
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Would having two copies of the game mean being able to play 5 or 6 or 8 players?

On the fence for getting a 5th player extension if there's no 6th. I'm not saying there should absolutely be a 6th player board, just if I get to that high a player count I'll probably need to include a 6th person.

I would rarely play 5 or 6, I imagine lots of 1-2 player games in my house, but if I bring it to relatives, somebody's always gonna miss out if there's only 5. And teaming up is well... it's relatives on a holiday. We don't need more reasons to argue.

As I'm getting the other expansions that don't fit in the base game box so I'm not gonna be mad if extra player boards and tokens have their own box. I'm aware I'm probably the minority in that regard.

Any extra cards hopefully will have some indicator on them that can help separate the core game from extended content, because splitting those up after a large group session is gonna be painful otherwise.

I'm interested enough to go in on a 5th player (if not too crazy a price) so no one else who wants it misses out, and because I want the game to absolutely be all it can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Beal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like a 5th player add-on, but would depend on how much downtime it adds each turn. Whilst its nice to accommodate higher player counts, if the downtime gets too much I will only play with less.

From what I've seen, the downtime in Museum isn't too bad due to drafting in other players' turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohan Dallaire Boily
Canada
flag msg tools
In the video where M. Olivier explain the 5th player, he tell the time could go to 90minutes max, total game, depend on player level. Less turn because more card will drafted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So in our tests we've found that the game lasts an extra 10-15 minutes BUT you only play about 4 to 5 rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Pillai
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Does it feel like the game ends too abruptly at 4 rounds instead of 5? (not being able to fill up your museum and all that)?

Personally, I am also curious as to how 5 players with World's Fair expansion plays. I imagine it gives every player more scoring/strategic options and feel like you're actually doing more but it might penalize a player's lack of museum displays way too much. Maybe the League of Explorers cards would alleviate that.

p/s: I get that the World's Fair expansion only works with up to 4 players (since it only has 3 boards - and based on M. Olivier's explanation, setup for number of World's Fair pavilions is player count -1.)

I guess if I'm playing with 5, I would put in all the extra cards and bits. Cthulhu!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohan Dallaire Boily
Canada
flag msg tools
I think you can fill your Museum because each turn, you get 1 more card. It’s 20 or 25 cards you play minimum... I think for a 5 player game, could be interesting to finish the game at 60, not 50, to give more turn. Like the authors says, is up to us to play and test different home rules when the game will be in our hand. But i totally confident if they release this add-on, is probably because the game is still balanced with 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am opposed to this. You have been demoing and playtesting and developing this game for over a year now. (I demoed at Essen 2016.) I think you should have the courage of your convictions and issue the game as you have developed it. In fact, if this 5th player gets added, I will probably drop out of the kickstarter. It's just one person so will have no impact whatsoever on the success of your campaign, but I prefer to support a game that is completely tested... Just my two cents...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohan Dallaire Boily
Canada
flag msg tools
As an add-on you can choose to take or not, you will drop your pledge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yodab96 wrote:
As an add-on you can choose to take or not, you will drop your pledge?

Not the strangest thing you will see in a kickstarter campaign laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
knuffi1964 wrote:
I am opposed to this. You have been demoing and playtesting and developing this game for over a year now. (I demoed at Essen 2016.) I think you should have the courage of your convictions and issue the game as you have developed it. In fact, if this 5th player gets added, I will probably drop out of the kickstarter. It's just one person so will have no impact whatsoever on the success of your campaign, but I prefer to support a game that is completely tested... Just my two cents...

So beside the whole dropping out if you do this thing, which is of course your choice, I agree with you.

The game has had no extensive testing for 5 players up till now and was not designed for it.

However, this is a KS, we owe it to our backers to listen to them, where possible, give them what they'd like.

The 5th player expansion is one of those elements. We've tried it, it works and we feel like with more work we can polish it up to be a good experience. Before we do though; survey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elfboy wrote:
p/s: I get that the World's Fair expansion only works with up to 4 players (since it only has 3 boards - and based on M. Olivier's explanation, setup for number of World's Fair pavilions is player count -1.)

You see this is another reason it's tricky to produce, we'd need to include material for all the expansions. So an extra board for the world fair, more meeples for the Explorers, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Barber
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
My game group is usually 5 players, so I'm absolutely willing to shell out for a 5th Player Expansion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really am only interested in the game if it can accommodate 5 players as I rarely play with less than 5. So I will only back Museum if there is a 5 player option, but if not I'm going to have to pass... I already have too many 4 player max games that don't get played to add another one to my collection.

Edit: Grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Pillai
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Some latest updates from the Kickstarter comments section. First off, bad news.

Quote:
@HGG : The 5th player add-on will come true before the end of campaign ?
I don’t think we’re going to do it finally. Not enough interest (after the BGG survey) and we’d have to provide enough material for all the expansions which would make it quite expensive for what it is…

Then, like the Millennium Falcon swooping in at the last second...

Quote:
Latest news from Mr Olivier (on the tric trac forum)
"I may have some good news. We're are waiting for the feedback from our provider to validate the price, but the 5th player add-on could happen thanks to our friends from Pixie who are very interested in it. That changes everything in terms of production, and we could offer it for a decent price as the quantity will be above 200.

Of course, it will not be KS only as expected from the beginning, but if, with a classic distribution, it allows us to offer it to our backers! Let's jump on the bargain.

If all goes well, the next 72 hours will be hot: a new add-on as a last expansion: black market. During our next video news on Wednesday, we will show the prototype version and how it works.

Most likely the 5th player add-on with a mini-expansion inside. And probably an all-in-one pledge because it's now a lot of stuff."

So, keep your eyes peeled for this still evolving development.

EDIT: Many thanks to FANDUJAPON for the original (French) news, and Llewellen for the English translation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stéphane Gérard
msg tools
mb
many thanks to the french provider (Pixies games) which want the 5th player for retail!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks,

Just to confirm the above statement, distributor interest is allowing us to produce a print run large enough to justify doing the 5th player expansion

We'll also be including "The people's Choice" expansion within it

Expect to see it pop up before the final 48hours!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphaël Carton
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Which begin in 10 hours
Let's hope good news !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boys and girls, dinner is served:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Robinson
United Kingdom
SLOUGH
ENGLAND
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to necro an old post. But is there anything else within this other than support for a 5th player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dag Roth
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You also get the People's Choice expansion, which adds People's Choice cards to the game. With these, the public is interested in certain kind of collections. For example, they are after objects that are dated before the birth of Christ. If you have at least as many of those objects in your museum as stated on the card, you get the card, which gives you several VPs at the end of the game. However, if someone else gets more objects that qualify for the People's choice card later on during the game, they get the card and you loose it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.