Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thrifted a core set for $5, am getting interested...

But. There are currently 117 expansions listed for this game. My FLGS has the hunt for Gollum, no Khazad-Dum...

How can a new player get started at this point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just play for the solo stories.

You only buy what you want then.

Get the first 6 small packs of the Gollum cycle and go from there.

The Trilogy boxes are mostly self contained.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:

so does that mean just getting little 6 dollar packs? what about the deluxe expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cry16 dollar packs in my neck of the woods.cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Jensen
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each cycle has 7 total expansions: 1 deluxe and 6 Adventure Packs.

Each AP comes with a quest, but in order to play the quest, you have to have the deluxe expansion for that cycle. The player and hero cards can be played anytime in any deck, but the quests won’t be playable without the deluxe.

There’s also the Saga expansions. These are 8 deluxed sized expansion, 2 for each movie and 2 for the hobbit. These have a story that follow the books and they have no Adventure Packs to go with them.

The AP will cost about $12-15 and the deluxe are $25-30 each.

Make sure you pay attention and see if you are buying the Nightmare version. This version will cost about $7 but it only has about 30 cards and you need the non-nightmare version to play it anyway, so buy those last if you end up wanting them.

My advice: try the core by itself. Build the “killer deck” that is the top hit in the forums. If you love it, then you can decide how much expanding to do. If you don’t, then choose what to do next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Content for the game is available from online retailers. Packs and boxes tend to cycle in and out of print. FFG’s web site has satus on upcoming product.

The first six packs released for the game, the Shadows of Mirkwood, use core set encounter cards to build out scenarios. Beyond that, other packs require the deluxe box that is part of their cycle. As mentioned, the Sagas do not have scenario packs associated with them, they are essentially deluxe boxes. There are other packs, such as the Nightmare versions of previously released scenarios, that do not include player cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Jensen
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should also add that the 117 number it shows is not accurate.

There are currently 7 cycles and each cycle has 7 expansions, except the first cycle which uses the core set. So that makes 48 expansions, plus the 8 Saga expansions, so the total is 56 expansions to have every player and hero card in the whole game.

They have Nightmare for almost each one which you totally don't need since the game is hard enough as it is, especially with a limited card pool.

They also have Print-on-demand scenarios. These are standalone quests that come with everything you need for the quest in the box. they run about $15.

Go here, http://ringsdb.com/ and click on cards at the top. That will show everything in a much easier way to see it all. I believe the Print-on-demand stuff is under the "Gencon" section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am getting into the game late (and my first foray into LCG). I just found the core set plus Khazad-Dum for 50 bucks on ebay.

I don't plan on buying anything else for the time being, given that there should be lots of game in what I have. But when I do, are the AP from the first cycle recommended, or can I just skip them and focus on the adventure packs for the KD deluxe box? Or would I be missing out on some choice cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Just thrifted a core set for $5

FIVE DOLLARS‽ You got a great deal there. I've only been so lucky once :/

Quote:
How can a new player get started at this point?

Every journey starts the same way: By checking travel guides online, then checking the political climate, and finally browsing (in privacy mode) for the best prices. It's a bit of the same here.

The go-to guide for deciding what to buy is at Tales from the Cards. Great overview of flavour, difficulty and variation.

The nightmare decks can be ignored until you have everything else. That leaves you with two buying paths: The main quests and sagas.

Get at least one cycle of main cards before you delve into sagas, just to have some more card pool to build from if you're stuck. Saga boxes are also made in pairs relating to a book (The Hobbit or the three books making up Lord of the Rings), so you might as well get both when you do.

The Hobbit fills up your dwarf quota along with Khazad-Dûm and Dwarrowdelf.

oilerfan wrote:
I don't plan on buying anything else for the time being

We'll see how that goes

Quote:
are the AP from the first cycle recommended, or can I just skip them and focus on the adventure packs for the KD deluxe box? Or would I be missing out on some choice cards?

I still think the first cycle has value (song cards and more). I counted cards I like and still use, and it was a substantial number still, across all/most packs. At least get the last pack from the Mirkwood cycle just for the dwarven hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Jensen
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oilerfan wrote:
I too am getting into the game late (and my first foray into LCG). I just found the core set plus Khazad-Dum for 50 bucks on ebay.

I don't plan on buying anything else for the time being, given that there should be lots of game in what I have. But when I do, are the AP from the first cycle recommended, or can I just skip them and focus on the adventure packs for the KD deluxe box? Or would I be missing out on some choice cards?

I'd get the first cycle. The quests are simpler and easier than the rest of the game. It's a good way to get a feel for the game, and they have plenty of good cards to use. I have nearly the whole collection and I still use cards from the first cycle in all my decks.

But it all comes down to how much you want to collect. If you plan on only buying a select few, then pick the really strong packs like Foundations of Stone, Shadow and Flame, or Celebrimbor's Secret. Again, this only allows access to the player cards unless you get the deluxe as well.

It's hard to give advice for this game. If you just like doing the quests, then you don't need to have as much. But if the deck-building is what you really love about it (that's me) then you pretty much need to buy it all to get the full enjoyment. Just my opinion. I hesitated for a long time due to the amount of expansions, but I don't regret buying them all for a second. Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oilerfan wrote:

Yes, you can skip them, and yes you would be missing out on some choice cards. That's true of *every* cycle, of course. But while most players likely started their expansion with the first cycle, it's not the only possible choice. KD expansion packs *also* have some choice cards, so KD + Mirkwood isn't going to make you make clearly better decks than KD + Dwarrowdelf. If you like the game, eventually you'll want them both -- and if you like dwarf decks (something KD deluxe enables), you'll want to get the Hobbit saga expansions, plus Return to Mirkwood for Dain Ironfoot.

Here are some of the things you'll find in the Mirkwood cycle:

Hero Tactics Boromir -- newly nerfed, but still a powerful hero with built-in readying.

Hero Dain Ironfoot -- by boosting (if ready) the willpower and attack of *every* dwarf at the table, ramps dwarven swarm decks up a notch.

Eagle allies -- the "Eagles deck" isn't a powerful solo archtype in the game because it's expensive and lacks willpower, but I've enjoyed playing it in two-handed play for mono-tactics. Winged Guardian is the best ally defender in the game until Defender of Rammas comes out in Heirs of Numenor, and Support of the Eagles can be amazing on a hero with readying (like the old Boromir)

Rohan allies -- the cycle comes with five spirit Rohan allies and some supporting events. While the Rohan deck really takes off with cards from the saga, this cycle gives you some useful spirit allies, a weak spot in the core and KD.

Songs -- this allows you to give additional spheres cheaply to heroes, useful both for resource smoothing and enabling use of attachments restricted to a particular sphere, such as....

A Burning Brand -- by cancelling *all* the shadows the attached defender faces, this card is likely the most useful attachment outside the core set. It's also not unique, not restricted, and can be placed on any lore character. If you are going to use hero defense, you want access to this card.

Dunedain Mark/Dunedain Warning -- +1 defense (from D. Warning) or +1 attack (from D. Mark) for 1-cost (in leadership), only restriction is to go on a hero, and they're also movable for 1-cost. If you use heroes to attack or defend, these cards are worth including in your deck.

Fast Hitch -- not immediately useful with the cards you have, but if you are going to buy any of the saga expansions down the road, a 1-cost hobbit-readying attachment will come in handy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Howard
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What would I be missing (apart from players cards) if I skipped the Against the Shadow and The Ring-maker cycles? The consensus seems to be that they are Rube Goldbergian in their complexity. Difficult, I can live with. There's always Easy mode. Complex, I've enough of that in day-to-day life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deiseach wrote:
What would I be missing (apart from players cards) if I skipped the Against the Shadow and The Ring-maker cycles? The consensus seems to be that they are Rube Goldbergian in their complexity. Difficult, I can live with. There's always Easy mode. Complex, I've enough of that in day-to-day life.

I'm not exactly sure where you are getting your information, but I personally think those are the two best cycles so far. I'd say they are more difficult than complex. Maybe one scenario here and there is a bit fiddly, but that's pretty much true of all cycles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deiseach wrote:

Against the Shadow isn't complex, it's just different. Battle questing, Siege questing, and treacheries that punish mixed sphere decks (or non-tactics decks) means there are quests that previously-solid general purpose decks will struggle against -- and that can be beaten by decks that would be hopeless against more conventional quests. But I think the quests are enjoyable, with the exception of Morgul Vale. Hate that one.

Ring-Maker cycle *is* fiddly because of its use of the "Time" mechanic, where resources are placed on something (quest card, location, etc) and removed at the end of round or due to card effects, with Something Bad happening when they run out. I wouldn't call it Rube Goldbergian in complexity, the concept is really rather simple, but it *is* one more thing to track and potentially mess up. It also tends to create urgency in clearing things before time runs out, so that turtling decks have a rough time. If your preference is to play slow-building decks with lots of card draw, the cycle may be punishing -- if you prefer an aggro deck that wins or loses quickly, you may really enjoy it. But I think the quests are enjoyable, with the exception of Nin-in-Eleph. Hate that one.

Both cycles have some excellent player cards, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Howard
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both for your insight. I'm okay with building a deck to beat a particular quest so I'll take my chances with both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gah. You thrifted a game for $5. Play the game you have a bunch of times before thinking about getting expansions (you should like the game first). Apply this to all games and such thrifted items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:

I feel like you might be looking at the nightmare decks if you are seeing a $6 price tag. Those will only work if you already have the associated quest. It's basically hard mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metal134 wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:

I feel like you might be looking at the nightmare decks if you are seeing a $6 price tag. Those will only work if you already have the associated quest. It's basically hard mode.

I think you misread that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses everyone. I really appreciate the time you took to help me get oriented. I can't wait to crack it open. It's under the tree...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdrog2 wrote:
Gah. You thrifted a game for $5. Play the game you have a bunch of times before thinking about getting expansions (you should like the game first). Apply this to all games and such thrifted items.

Oh thanks for telling me how to behave...

Anyway, I also appreciate the explanations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.