Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Burden
United States
Streator
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will you buy a retail version of a game if it has a large number of Kickstarter Exclusive content that is not available for purchase separately? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll judge the product for what it is. If the base product justifies the cost, absolutely.

Likewise I'll buy base games that have Out of Print expansions if the base game is good.

Knowing that there is additional content out there (regardless of whether it's available at retail) is always a plus in my book, not a negative. Because if I really want it at least I can get it if I don't mind dropping some $$$ for it on the secondary market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I bought Arcadia Quest and Blood Rage at retail. Both had quite a few Kickstarter exclusives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

There are far too many good games out there, and before my OCD kicks in, I'll pass. And I have already done so on many occasions meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
No.

There are far too many good games out there, and before my OCD kicks in, I'll pass. And I have already done so on many occasions meeple

So as long as you are never made aware of the exclusive content it's all good then?

I could mention some really cool rare promo/exclusive stuff for a few games you already have, but I guess that would just be cruel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:
PzVIE wrote:
No.

So as long as you are never made aware of the exclusive content it's all good then?

I could mention some really cool rare promo/exclusive stuff for a few games you already have, but I guess that would just be cruel.

Well, OCD is really a disorder, isn't it? And if you want to trade, I'm all in! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are games I have refused to buy because of kickstarter exclusives. See Conan and the recent TMNT game. There are however also games I have bought that had unobtainable exclusives. The worst is Blood Rage, but really I'm only missing out on like 6 or so monsters as far as real gameplay goes. Xia also obnoxiously has one of it's 4 NPCs as an exclusive.

It depends how much it adds to the game. In the 2 examples I gave, the game had some pretty neat content exclusive but were pretty solid games on their own. Conan and TMNT are both from the same genre where your replayability is going to come down to scenarios and content you have to mix things up, and both of those games had things that would significantly change your game to game experience behind their exclusives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
I like tight games that have concise rulesets, in which the depth comes from interaction, and not from the number of elements.

If a game has KS exclusives, that either means that there are necessary elements of the game unavailable to me, or the designer is willing to put unnecessary elements into the game. Both options make a game not appeal to me, so I likely won't buy the game.

That said, every once in a while there's a brilliant game that may break the mold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
No.
Even though I rarely use them, I don't want a game that isn't complete, and as dumb as it may seem, a game isn't complete if I'm missing promo material.

Even writing it I know it doesn't actually make sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WilbertK wrote:
I like tight games that have concise rulesets, in which the depth comes from interaction, and not from the number of elements.

If a game has KS exclusives, that either means that there are necessary elements of the game unavailable to me, or the designer is willing to put unnecessary elements into the game. Both options make a game not appeal to me, so I likely won't buy the game.

That said, every once in a while there's a brilliant game that may break the mold.

So does this apply to any game that releases expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emilien M
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I used to be very completionist about games... a bit less so now. But the perspective that I will not be able to buy all the content of a game (or get it second hand.. yuck) is a big draw back for me. -1 point in rating for my decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PrayDaThor wrote:
Well I used to be very completionist about games... a bit less so now. But the perspective that I will not be able to buy all the content of a game (or get it second hand.. yuck) is a big draw back for me. -1 point in rating for my decision.

Does that also translate into a minus rating for buying a lot of older great games that have huge amounts of content out, with some of it hard to find?

I ask for a little bot of off topic reasoning. If it does, I wonder if this adds to a push towards cult of the new for OCD type gamers, where there is nothing additional yet to have to get beyond the core game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Persson
Sweden
Malmo
Scania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not likely at all. I'd always have that nagging feeling of not owning and getting to enjoy the full product.

Besides, as Wilbert says:
WilbertK wrote:

This is a major drawback to me, and the reason I have declined buying several games. Sometimes, it has even annoyed me so much I have given away the retail version of a game after finding out there were components I couldn't get hold of...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
It would have to be a hell of a game for me to want to do this. I am a completionist so I have passed on many a game that I didn't have the exclusive content for. AS someone said earlier there are so many games out and so I just go onto the next one.

If the exclusives are superfluous then I would be more inclined but if it is CMON level of exclusives then I tend to pass at retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:
WilbertK wrote:

Well, expansions are generally available to everyone, so not everything I said about kickstarter exclusives also applies to expansions. But yeah, most of my favourite games either
- don't have expansions (Indonesia), or
- have expansions that I think are essential (Hive).

There's the possibility of there being a game of which I like the base game, but not the expansion, but that's not typical for me. I'm planning to get Dungeon Petz, and I really like that game. I don't think it needs an expansion though, and from what I've read its expansion makes the game less tight. If this was a game that was kickstarted along with its expansion, I would be less likely to buy it. It would make me feel like there's a good chance that certain parts of the game would be optimised for the expansion, so the base game wouldn't be optimally balanced, while some parts of the expansions would likely feel unnecessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Urbanek
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
The Dice & Mystics Board Game Guild say: Have fun!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I will and I have in the past. It depends of the quality of the base game and my liking of the art, design and component quality. The availability of promotional items is not paramount to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm not a completionist and I don't think exclusives are wrong on principle... but it does give me pause for thought when I compare a retail version of the game with what I could have got if I'd backed the kickstarter. It changes the perceived value of what's in the box. The new Zombicide, for example. So many extra bits that I don't really want to pay retail ($20-30 less than the pledge) to get half of what's in the pledge. The math doesn't add up.

That doesn't always stop me from buying, but it's a mark against it for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:
WilbertK wrote:

Nothing wrong with expanding an already good game. The problems start when either (1) the expansion is required to make the game good, or (2) the expansion is an exclusive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creaking Shelves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge

I am generally ok with that. I don't tend to have time to pursue completionism, or even just expansions, most of the time. If it's such a good game that I wish I could collect it all, then I can at least enjoy owning such a good game that I wish I could collect it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike V
United Kingdom
South Brent
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quality upgrades, couldn't care less. Actually, I often prefer the more basic components to the blinged-out versions (Scythe comes to mind).

Gameplay related upgrades. If there's alot, I won't even look at the game. If it's trivial, it's not a deal breaker but it will count against. For games I've been on the fence about, it's been a factor not to purchase.

When I hear a KS version differs from the retail, I'm always less likely to consider it. The reason is that any comments or reviews of the game have to be taken with a huge grain of salt. I've played KS versions of games where it was clear that not having the KS components would lead to a diminished experience. (Vikings on Board comes to mind).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it depends on the exclusives.

if it's all fluff, i don't care either way. fluff is cool, but having cardboard tokens vs metal/wooden/acrylic tokens is easily remedied by 3rd party stuff or just going with the base tokens. usually they look just fine imo
i got 5 minute dungeon, and it came with a figure that has no mechanical purpose in the game. if i had gotten the retail version, i wouldn't miss it at all.

if it's mechanical stuff, like expansions (even small/mini ones), characters, enemies, item cards, etc., i'll kind of be wary about making the purchase. i have enough games i buy and don't play as it is.
i don't want to think about reading a review for a game and then wondering how different it'll be without that extra stuff from the KS

things like this feel like first-day DLC to me. like it's obviously a part of the game that was designed and ready to go, but i have to pay extra to unlock it instead of just including it in the base game

i will say though that i really liked Evolution's additional kickstarter cards that were fan-made.
they explicitly said things like 'THESE ARE UNPLAYTESTED AND IMBALANCED: PLAY AT YOUR OWN RISK' and also give rules for swapping out cards, so you'd have the same number of cards and therefore the same number of rounds of play
i even have the KS version but don't actually play with them because i prefer the base cards more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's a game from the early days of Kickstarter that I long missed out on (I've only been gaming on tabletops since 2014 anyway) then I would consider it. More often than not though I won't. I'll either wait around to try to nab a bundle at a good price with everything included from a GeekAuction or eBay or somewhere like that, or I'll just do without. I guess I'm not usually making a decision to do without, it's more that I am waiting to be able to get a complete bundle at a decent price and know in the back of my head that I'll be waiting forever.

It's kind of a bummer to me that I am like that, because in the case of something like Blood Rage, I have played it and really really enjoy it, so I'm only hurting myself by not buying it (well, hopefully I'm hurting CMoN a little bit by not buying it, but the game is a huge success so I can't imagine they are upset by one lost purchase). But oh well, I've got hundreds of games in my garage that I haven't played, and hundreds of video games on my shelves that are unfinished or haven't even been opened, and more, so whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, no, unless the KS exclusives are not critical to the gameplay experience and the retail price is sufficiently reflective of their absence. I'll be envious of all the KS swag. The one I'm thinking of in particular is Rising Sun. CMON packs so much exclusive content that I know I'm missing out on a ton of awesome shit if I buy at retail. So I don't allow myself the consolation prize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lucky henry wrote:
Bearhug78 wrote:
WilbertK wrote:

Nothing wrong with expanding an already good game. The problems start when either (1) the expansion is required to make the game good, or (2) the expansion is an exclusive.

I agree, but back before KS people used to raise these types of threads about expansions, especially expansions that were released very soon after the main game release.

The comments were generally the same, as in oh something has been stripped out of the base game just so they could make an expansion and demand more money. It then raised issues about the balance of the core game and whether that was imbalanced and missing content or whether the expansion would then imbalance the gameplay if added, as it was likely just tacked on content.

There would also be the issue of not enough copies of the expansion being printed etc. Sort of falls into the same issue of exclusivity.

From my observations, there really isn't a divide here, beyond the expectation of a second print run is often removed from the exclusive equation, although given second print runs often weren't advised for expansions anyway, it's not really that different.

Anyway, instead of getting these topics on expansions now, they are called KS exclusives. The reason I asked the question above, is I'm generally curious to see if the ire these people used to have for expansions has now moved to KS exclusives and as a result they have relaxed their negative attitudes about pure retail expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JJRR_Esq wrote:
Generally, no, unless the KS exclusives are not critical to the gameplay experience and the retail price is sufficiently reflective of their absence. I'll be envious of all the KS swag. The one I'm thinking of in particular is Rising Sun. CMON packs so much exclusive content that I know I'm missing out on a ton of awesome shit if I buy at retail. So I don't allow myself the consolation prize.

See that's an interesting one. I've backed Rising Sun and there is a whole lot of extra content, but none of it is really essential to the game. Sure it allows higher player counts (However there will be extra teams you can buy retail to accomplish the same if you want the higher player count). Most of the other stuff is just monsters, which although they have unique abilities, don't actually add gameplay over the standard inclusions in any serious way as they are really just more variety options.

Now I get that it can be a value issue if the retail price isn't that much cheaper than the extra content KS version, but that's like chastising myself for not buying gold 20 years ago or Bitcoin 7 years ago. One really needs to evaluate the value as on offer today, not from yesteryear.

It seems to me an important thing that seems to be missing from this conversation is whether the quality of gameplay is there or not. Shinny pieces certainly look nice, but at the end of the day isn't it really all about gameplay? From what I know of Rising Sun so far, the quality of gameplay will be the same between the retail version and the KS version... shouldn't this really be the focus? (Most of the playthroughs and early reviews have been based on the standard core set with KS exclusive content).

I know that doesn't work for some people, as I've seen the angst some have about missing out on pointless promo's for games etc. However to me the OCD completionist and the I want the game to be good camps aren't actually the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.