Hide
7 Posts

Codenames Duet» Forums » General

Subject: Using the checkmark token rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Mason
msg tools
The rules say after finishing a turn a player should put a checkmark timer in front of him. Then when bystander tokens are used up, 2 checkmark timers should be used. Should the guessing player get the checkmark timer from in front of him? Or is it okay to share checkmark timers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
The checkmarks are shared.
If you want to take a look at the official rules video, I cover it here if that helps
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VRAx-Yl1Aoc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The timer tokens are a shared resource.

When you set up the game, take the first number of tokens from the box. Place the second number bystander side up. Place the remainder (if any) check side up. The first game is played 9/9 so place all nine tokens bystander side up for it. Place all tokens in a common pool.

When you pass, take a check token from the common pool or if none are left, take a bystander token. Place it in front of yourself. If you run out of tokens you go to sudden death.

When you make an incorrect guess, take one of the bystander tokens and place it on the incorrect guess. Align it so the arrow points to you. That way you know who made the incorrect guess for that word (it may still be an agent for the other player) When you run out of bystanders, take TWO of the check tokens for an incorrect guess. If you need two check tokens and there is only one left, you lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
They come with fire, they come with axes... gnawing, biting, breaking, hacking, burning! Destroyers and usurpers, curse them!
badge
When Summer lies upon the world, and in a noon of gold, Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold; When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West, Come back to me! Come back to me, and say my land is best!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one reason for "splitting" check marks between players (even though they are shared) is to make it easier to remember. If you ever go, "Oh wait, have we been taking tokens each turn?" half way thought the game, this way it's easier to see who have ended how many turns on a correct guess, and then backtrack the clues you were giving to figure out if you've taken a token every turn.

It's still not exactly "easy", so I would recommend not to forget taking tokens. And with this rule you can focus on remembering just to take your tokens, and if both players do that, you'll be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Th334 wrote:
I think one reason for "splitting" check marks between players (even though they are shared) is to make it easier to remember. If you ever go, "Oh wait, have we been taking tokens each turn?" half way thought the game, this way it's easier to see who have ended how many turns on a correct guess, and then backtrack the clues you were giving to figure out if you've taken a token every turn.

It's still not exactly "easy", so I would recommend not to forget taking tokens. And with this rule you can focus on remembering just to take your tokens, and if both players do that, you'll be fine.

Agreed. We make two piles of both the timer tokens and the agents. But if one pile runs out, there is no reason not to take from the other pile. Though it would be a reason to double check that all tokens are accounted for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Castrop
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Congratulations... you found my Avatar Overtext™
mbmbmbmbmb
Th334 wrote:

Has anyone found a way to remind you to place a token each turn? It is so easy to forget.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kevlartm wrote:

Has anyone found a way to remind you to place a token each turn? It is so easy to forget.

After 50 plays, we nearly always remember now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.