Thumb up
1 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Dyslexie font rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
I just read this, and got a new explanation of dyslexia (or an aspect of it) as a side effect:

It's about this font:

Sorry for the longish explanation below, but the TLR version: I'd be interested in comments from someone who experiences the perspectives described in the article, especially the "convert to 3D & rotate" bit.

I'm interested because I've heard/seen the claim "dyslexia is a synonym for not too smart many times, but never really believed it checked out.

Then, a few years ago, I got proof: I've been working since then with a guy (in IT) who describes himself as dyslexic (and isn't great at documentation - I do most of that), but I not only know he's very smart, I can "prove" it in the sense that we work together in an area of IT where you have to reasonably smart to get involved at all, and he's very good at it.

What really caught my eye in the article is the "convert to 3D and rotate" characteristic, because it might explain something I've been wondering about for a long time.

There's a "rule of thumb" that evolution never does more than it "has to". This doesn't exclude a lot of weird stuff, but it tends to mean that anything with "negative survival consequences" should either disappear, or have a balancing benefit.

I can see that the standard human visual system has evolved, but OFC it didn't do so in order for humanity to read. The means by which we read are engineered by people.

OTOH I can definitely see that the ability to visualize in 3D would be useful for "the ape that runs", and I can imagine that losing something in whatever underlying system makes modern typefaces etc good for almost everyone probably didn't matter a lot when part of a team running down an antelope.

So it would be interesting to hear from someone with "experience" - since people with a (statistically) unusual characteristic nearly always understand it a lot better than even professionals who don't have it.

BTW: OFC I'll ask my friend/colleague too, now that I have something specific (the 3D facility) to ask him about, but my contract is inactive for the moment and I only see him now and then socially.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.