Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

There isn't much talk about this game so I figured I would start some. My wife and all halfway through our first 2 player game and are really enjoying it. Thank god they a 2 player exclusive map (as well as a 3/4 player map).

We played a 3 player game this past weekend and we messed up a rule (which probably is a big thing since the person who won ran away with the game). Anyway, we forgot to draw 2 cards every time a province was conquered (which in turn allowed the player who had a bunch of powerful strength cards to go through his deck quickly).

Anyway, here are some easy to miss/misunderstand rules (from reading the forums and asking questions).

1) You always take a card at the end of the turn for the realm where your leader is at. You MAY take a second card but will get 1 mercy.
NOTE : You can look at the first drawn card to decide if you want a second card.

2) When you play a card to use strength to cull cards, if your strength is X, you can lose up to X cards. You will get Y cruelty (where Y is number of cards culled).

3) When you have to cull a card due to attacking, you DO NOT get any cruelty. The number of cards you cull is equal to the strength of blast symbols rolled by the defender (ie so if defender rolls 3 blast symbols, one HAS to get rid of 3 strength. You could get rid of one 3 strength card, a 1 strength and 2 strength card or three 1 strength cards).

4) When you conquer a province. you HAVE to take two cards from that realm.

5) If a card says 4 hammer/strength (for upgrade), one is allowed to mix and match (so you could use 3 hammer and 1 strength).

6) One cannot play 4 hammers (from one card) and use that to upgrade two cards.

7) One cannot play a card for no reason just to activate the cards ability. My wife asked me this.

8) This one confused me initially. The rule about playing a card for its action means that there is the word "Action:" on the card. I was thinking it meant any cards that have wording on it (which could say something "Conquer: ......"). IE You can play a card for it strength AND also activate the ability (if you were doing that ability) written on the card (which could say "Conquer: .....").

I have included an image below for an example. Card 1 could either be played for the "Action:" OR hammer/sword. Card 2 could be played for both the sword to conquer AND the card text would apply IF it was a port province and conquering.

9) When a card says you can allow ruin symbols to mean strength, that means any ruin symbol rolled. Someone asked if that only applied to when you rolled just a ruin symbol.

10) When you defend with cards, you immediately draw back up to to your limit (usually 5 cards). Not sure if the cards you defended with go to your discard pile OR if they stay in your play area until the end of YOUR turn (still waiting for answer from designer).

11) Turn order marker never passes!

12) If you have multiple rerolls possible (ie from cards and/or buildings), you can treat each one separately.

13) Promoted cards go directly to your discard pile (thus you could promote the just promoted card)

I hope this helps people and please point out if anything I said is incorrect.

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Black
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: 2 player game and other thoughts
Thanks! I was looking for the answer to #5 but couldn't find it. We really enjoyed our first 2p game as well.

One weird rule/situation I couldn't find. If you're forced to cull cards as the attacker (when the defender rolls some ruin). I'm assuming you have to cull a bigger card if you can't cull an exact value of cheaper cards.

An example would be, you have 2 ruin worth to cull and you have a 2 sword card and a 1 sword card you couldn't cull the 1 sword card and then leave the 1 sword remaining. I assume you'd need to cull the 2 sword card since it's the best fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DorkPassenger wrote:
Thanks! I was looking for the answer to #5 but couldn't find it. We really enjoyed our first 2p game as well.

One weird rule/situation I couldn't find. If you're forced to cull cards as the attacker (when the defender rolls some ruin). I'm assuming you have to cull a bigger card if you can't cull an exact value of cheaper cards.

An example would be, you have 2 ruin worth to cull and you have a 2 sword card and a 1 sword card you couldn't cull the 1 sword card and then leave the 1 sword remaining. I assume you'd need to cull the 2 sword card since it's the best fit.

From what I have read (I believe from one of the designers) is that you have to fulfill the number of swords (but you can always go over).

So, if you have 2 ruin allocated to you, you have to cull the 2 sword card AND you could also cull the 1 sword card as well (I believe there was a post on BGG somewhere where someone asked about a 0 sword card).

Thx
jonpfl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Black
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That makes sense, that if you can fulfill the cull cost you have to. I'd like to see if that cull extra thing is actually an option. It seems like cheap way to cull weak cards at no cruelty gain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DorkPassenger wrote:
That makes sense, that if you can fulfill the cull cost you have to. I'd like to see if that cull extra thing is actually an option. It seems like cheap way to cull weak cards at no cruelty gain.

This is what I read.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1895561/culling-0-strength-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Little
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DorkPassenger wrote:

You cull cards one at a time until you reach the required amount of strength.

If you owed 2 str, you could cull the 1 str first and then the 2 str. You could not keep going and cull another 1 if you had it.

The answer in the other thread relates to attacking with 0 str guys. If you had cards with the following str: 0, 1, 1, 2, and you owed 2, you could start with the 0, then a 1, then either the other 1 or the 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ale Tucci
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure about point 8), if i understand what you saying.
You saying that you can play a card for is strenght (for example i can Cull with this card) and also use this card for is "Action:" ability?
I'm pretty sure it's not possibile.

Using the "Action:" section of a card, is one of the possible Action itself, that you can do during your turn. So you are using the card for that, not for the Sword/Labor value.

The thing that triggers when you use a card, for any purpose, is the "When you play this.." ability.

Am i wrong? (or i just misunderstand the point 8) initial statement).

Thanks indeed for the post, it's a good reminder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ale Tucci
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also add something like "Yes, first player marker doesn't pass".
Cause i desperately search that phrase couple times all over the rulebook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The_LoneWolf wrote:
I'm not sure about point 8), if i understand what you saying.
You saying that you can play a card for is strenght (for example i can Cull with this card) and also use this card for is "Action:" ability?
I'm pretty sure it's not possibile.

Using the "Action:" section of a card, is one of the possible Action itself, that you can do during your turn. So you are using the card for that, not for the Sword/Labor value.

The thing that triggers when you use a card, for any purpose, is the "When you play this.." ability.

Am i wrong? (or i just misunderstand the point 8) initial statement).

Thanks indeed for the post, it's a good reminder.

Sorry, you are correct, it is poorly worded on my part. I will fix it.

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.