Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Piotr Konieczny
Poland
Katowice
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I know it's steampunk so there are limits to realism we can expect. But steampunk, after all, is based on 19th or so century designs, and I can't believe they'd be so inefficient as what we see here (Wikipedia sadly doesn't have pictures that could help much, sigh).

For anyone who doesn't have the minis yet, you can see them in the gallery. Or just look at

So... First, the rear turret is sandwitched between two megastructures, having field of fire limited to the sides. Clearly, it would have much more sense to put it in the proper rear, where it could cover a much wider arc. The front is not much better, with the rotating turret also seemingly limited to the sides, with the front spot taken by a chaser gun that seems to be fixed in the inflexible front-only position that seems like it should be taken by the turret which would give it much more flexibility.

Turrets/guns aside, the minis are of course nice, and we will all enjoy playing with them, but I can't help but feel that the designs could be better with a tiny bit more thought re realistic gun placement.

Ok, now on a less rant-like note, if you want to see some cool and IMHO more realistic (with regards to turrets) steampunk flying ships that still would fit right into Scythe, check out anime 'Last Exile'. Here's a clip: YouTube.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...um, okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Yates
United States
Olsburg
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, it is rather odd. I'm also a bit sad that they are all the exact same. With the amount of variation between the Mechs, it doesn't make sense thematically that the airships are all exactly the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
styates wrote:
I agree, it is rather odd. I'm also a bit sad that they are all the exact same. With the amount of variation between the Mechs, it doesn't make sense thematically that the airships are all exactly the same.
I think it makes sense when it allows them to charge you £25 for the expansion instead of £100+
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christiaan G
Netherlands
Emmeloord
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
styates wrote:

The explanation for that:

Why are all the airship miniatures the same sculpt?

Each of the 7 factions has 1 airship miniature in their faction color, but the sculpts are identical. There are three reasons for this: One, thematically, all airships have the same abilities (the abilities are randomized at the beginning of each game). We tested it both ways, and it worked best this way.

Two, the cost to make a high-quality mould for a miniature this size is about $10,000. Expansions like this are a low-margin product, so adding an additional $60,000 for six more moulds is a significant expense.

Three–and this is really important–when we get the original sculpt from a 3D modeler, it’s not like we instantly start making miniatures. Rather, it’s the beginning of an extensive process to maximize the durability and aesthetics, as well as exactly how different parts of the mini will fit into the mould (big miniatures like this are often comprised of multiple pieces).

For the Wind Gambit, this process took 2 months for a single miniature. At the end of that process, I actually sent the updated digital model to the original sculptor so he could do some final touch-ups to the updated design. This was particularly important because Panda was in charge of ensuring that workers and resource tokens could fit onto the miniature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toto PRN
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the thematical issue was adressed by "Airships were product by the same "company" for all factions... blablabla..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave King
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, it's total fiction. Seriously, "more realistic"? Surface for air now; your oxygen intake system has been dangerously compromised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Guibord
Canada
Vaudreuil-dorion
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My issue is not the way the airships were designed, it's the less than stellar way they were assembled. On almost all of my airships, the cabin in the back was glued at an angle, inclining forward. So that part if bending forward instead of being flat. It's not major but a little disappointing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximilian Berbechelov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dking232 wrote:
Dude, it's total fiction. Seriously, "more realistic"? Surface for air now; your oxygen intake system has been dangerously compromised.
Even tho I like the ships as they are as a screenwriter I live by the "Realism in fiction" rule.

This guy means that if the cannons actually fire they will fire in the ship itself (unless they stay still) and unless the fiction says they never fire or they fire with some energy that goes through the ship itself but destroys the enemy ships because the turrets have a chip that recognizes what's allied ship and what not - that's unrealistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat E. Cakes
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
They are "ships". Like a boat. Think where 'guns/cannons" are on a boat. Aimed to the side.

I think it is perfectly thematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Labrecque
msg tools
mb
You want more realistic Airships in a game where the hero characters are larger than the mechs, 8 employees is all you need to run a nation, and you can dominate the known continent for 70ish dollars?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
The airships kind of look like they might have been converted sailing ships, and not designed from scratch for air--I'd expect something designed for air to have some downward-facing weaponry, for example.

If that's the case, then maybe (thematically) that sandwiched turret is sandwiched because one of those superstructures is a later addition related to whatever lets it fly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximilian Berbechelov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually Pat E. Cakes's argument makes a lot of sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat E. Cakes
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OurBG wrote:
Actually Pat E. Cakes's argument makes a lot of sense.

Thanks Maximillian!

They aren't fighter jets, or spaceships with forward facing guns. Boats do not typically shoot forward as they would need to be moving in the direction of what they are shooting at. Boats turn slowly and would risk running into their target. Also they do not shoot at ground units (right?), just other airships??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.