9 Posts

Imaginarium» Forums » General

Subject: What is this game like? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel See
msg tools
mb
Anyone who has played this game, can you compare it with other games to give an impression of what it plays like?

This is a game that I'm pretty interested in. Bruno Cathala is one of my favorite designers, and the art looks great. But I can't tell if I have a similar game in my collection, based on the preview videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
it's
Belgium
Antwerp
/
flag msg tools
badge
Play black time!
mbmbmb
Hello Daniel,
I've tested this game at Spiel Essen and I can't really compare it to an other game. Important about Imaginarium is that it combines a lot of mechanics like worker placement and engine building, etc.
It plays well, so just add the game to your collection, it will look stunning too! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
It does look fabulous!! thumbsup But appears to be just another resource management game. "Two yellow cubes for one red cube" type of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel See
msg tools
mb
rdsmith wrote:
It does look fabulous!! thumbsup But appears to be just another resource management game. "Two yellow cubes for one red cube" type of thing.

Ray, you stated my question perfectly. I’m really interested in this game, but I don’t think I want another “trade these cubes for those cubes for VPs” game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Sirieix
France
Montpellier
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can guarantee you it isn't. It is a competitive optimisation game where the main goal is to buy, repair, combine and destroy machines to score the projects first. Resources are certainly a part of the game, but they are absolutely not the central part. Hope I helped a little.

Flo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Buttery
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I found the following post from early last December. There is a great video with a good general run-through of the game. Just scroll down to find it.

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/71404/2018-bruno-cathala-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dowling
France
flag msg tools
Saw this being played at a Board Game festival in Rennes (France) two weeks ago. Couldn't play it myself as had the kids in tow, but was chatting to the people playing it and they said it was excellent. The artwork is absolutely stunning by the way!

It gave me distinct impressions of Alchemists in terms of the feel of it. Even though the game play is clearly different in aim. Mainly because of the excellent fantasy feel to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel See
msg tools
mb
Gammon wrote:
I found the following post from early last December. There is a great video with a good general run-through of the game. Just scroll down to find it.

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/71404/2018-bruno-cathala-...

From the video, the action of the game seems similar to Century: Spice Road. Like Century, you're collecting cards that give you resources so that you can eventually get objectives. It seems more complex than Century because you can combo cards, which gives it more of an engine-building aspect. I'm curious to see if those who've demoed the game would agree with this perception. (Incidentally, the comparison to Century is not a knock, as I really enjoy the basic action of Century.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Musselwhite
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myself, I wouldn't liken it to Century Spice Road, and while I really enjoy Spice Road, the comparison does not do justice to Imaginarium.

My initial comparison was Infernal Contraption, but that comparison itself turned out to be more cosmetic than-game play related!

To repeat what has already been said, there is more to it than resource management. You buy broken machines, while managing resources to actually repair them, plus a tight and finite number of slots with which build them in. The order of actions in a turn force you to think ahead and can punish you if you are wrong.

To be fair, I have only played this once and I lost spectacularly well (5 player game), but enjoyed it enough to buy it, and look forward subsequent plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.