7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: New to board gaming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Hall
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So basically I’m new to board gaming, I’m looking for some recommendations for me and the mrs, recently played ticket to ride and need something a bit more... engaging - currently looking into Arkham Horror, Pandemic, Sherlock Holmes consulting detective.

Have just been looking into 7th continent as well.

Kinda just looking for recommendations on games for 2-4 friends lasting around 1-4 hours depending on how engrossing/in depth the game is.

TYIA

DH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Sequence or Red7 are quick 4 player games to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Pandemic is definitely a solid pick - everyone I have introduced it to has loved it, and it can get quite tense. There's a lot of replayability just in the base game, and plenty of expansions to mix things up a bit. Just be careful not to become an 'alpha gamer' (basically telling everyone else what moves to make) - keeping your hand hidden can hep with this.

I've heard good things of 7th Continent too, but not played yet.

Without knowing really what grabs you or your mrs, I'll throw out some games me + mine enjoy:

Dominion- the granddaddy of deck builders, still one of the best. Recently re-released base game, lots of expansions. Some people dislike it due to lots of shuffling, or consider it to be multi-player solitaire.

Five Tribes - Area control with a mancala mechanic. Can lead to a bit of analysis paralysis if you are prone to it, especially as a 2-player game.

Waggle Dance - Allocate bees (dice) to different actions to be first to produce a certain amount of honey by gathering and converting nectar.

7 Wonders Duel - 2 player only, building cities/ancient wonders. Lots of different ways to score points.

Blood Rage - Vikings trying to gain glory during Ragnarok. Looks like typical ameritrash (lots of cool minis), plays like a euro. Card drafting where everything is overpowered, including winning-by-losing strategies.

Hive- boardless bug chess with nice chunky clacky bakelite bugs.

You haven't said where in the UK you are, but there are a lot of game groups listed here - maybe there's one near you where you could meet fellow gamers and play a wider variety:
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/UK_faq
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Santorini
Yamataï
Abyss
7 Wonders
Via Nebula
Tides of Madness

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kattan
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm pretty new to board gaming myself and the games i'll list the games i've had the most luck with.

Champions of Midgard - Pretty good introduction to worker placement with a viking theme and dice combat. Even just the base game is fun and if you enjoy it i'd recommend the expansions too.

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition - You will explore multiple scenarios with a group of investigators in good ol Cthulhu mythos. You will use an app but it is done fantastically and you never know what's lurking around the corner.

Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game - Deck building mixed with the Alien theme. My girlfriend has loved this one and we even make movie nights of watching the movie while we play through the scenario of that movie. Of course there are other themes if Marvel or something else suits you better

I'm not sure what kind of games you were looking for but hope that helps out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG and as per the Colonel's comments, it may prove beneficial to get in touch with your local club. If it's anything like mine (Upminster) you are only talking 8 - 12 people meeting every other week for an evening's gaming. All types of games may be played, but games like Ticket to Ride and Pandemic often turn up. If a beginner is visiting we always ensure an appropriate game is arranged, so you won't be swamped.

Another suggestion would be Terraforming Mars. It's still hot at the moment, about 2 hours for 3 players, upto 3 hours for 5, every game is different, lots of fun and lots of routes to victory and a whole big bunch of original cards. Might be tricky to get hold of, but that is yet another reason to visit a local club - the chance to play games you don't own and also to find out what may or may not interest you.

Please do ask for help any time you aren't sure about something on here. The vast majority of members on the site are only too keen to help newbies into the hobby. The more of us playing, the better the hobby for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.