Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John W
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my copy this weekend and noticed that all the of black market cards very clearly have a grey symbol instead of a black one on the back.

Was curious if this was a balance thing for skill checking with a martial class or if it was a printing error?

(sorry for the washed out shot, was struggling with the flash)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably a printing error.

I use black-backed sleeves for market/basic/magic, so would've never noticed this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
By "black" market are you referring to all the cards you can buy as opposed to the cards for your starting equipment pack?

I'll be honest I haven't noticed any difference on the backs of these in my copy, but did sleeve them immediately in clear matte sleeves. It's possible the clear matte backing keeps me from seeing too many differences. I'll check tonight when I play, but they should pretty much be the same.

Also, what difference would skill checks for martial classes have because of this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteoanK wrote:
By "black" market are you referring to all the cards you can buy as opposed to the cards for your starting equipment pack?

SteoanK wrote:
Also, what difference would skill checks for martial classes have because of this?

You do know how skill checks work, right?
Quote:
When you must make a Skill Check, reveal the top card of
your draw deck. If it matches your Class Type color, the check
is a success; if it does not, the result is a failure.

You draw before you buy and it's hard not to notice that the next card you're going to draw is a martial which can in turn affect your market card choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
You made a point for martial characters like it was going to make a difference for them somehow. Having different card backs would necessarily make too much of a difference on skill checks anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
SteoanK wrote:

Heh, I now have just realised what was meant by "black market cards".

Specifically John means the cards like Tower Shield, Command Presence, Javelin, Grapple, etc.

I just inspected the back of my market cards and I could just notice that some of them where a dark grey instead of black. When I turned them over, they were indeed the martial class cards such as I mentioned above. I found the difference very, very slight and I had to peer at the card backs closely to determine the difference. I also was comparing each card in the deck to the adjacent ones to be able to notice the colour difference. I doubt if I could do it if I was just looking at the top card and was unable to compare it to a non-martial card.

For my set, it seems the basic martial card, Glory, is full black like the other cards. It just seems to be the martial cards from the Market deck that are faded in this way.

For me personally, it doesn't seem to be an issue because unless I peer very closely to the card back, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference (I do have my cards sleeved so that might help).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha! Black market cards = martial market cards! That makes so much more sense.

I was slightly confused because in Shadowrun Crossfire it was called the Black Market, and I thought there was a carryover term issue because they had played that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreux Barbier
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My cards from the heroes pack are also a different shade on the back from the core box... and it's very obvious. P*** poor quality control, was the same situation for me with SRCF. I'll have to sleeve them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etienne Koekemoer
South Africa
Boksburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mb
Wrightboy wrote:
Got my copy this weekend and noticed that all the of black market cards very clearly have a grey symbol instead of a black one on the back.

Was curious if this was a balance thing for skill checking with a martial class or if it was a printing error?

(sorry for the washed out shot, was struggling with the flash)

I have exactly the same issue. All of my non-basic Martial Market cards are washed out. Also, 2 of my Basic Devotion "Grace" (#1 and #2) cards are also washed out like this.

I contacted customer support and apparently they have sent me new cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.