8 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » Rules

Subject: Colonies, Islands, and Permanent Enmity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve K
msg tools
mbmbmb
Good Afternoon. I have a question regarding raiding and colonies.

I would like some clarification with regards to how enmity interacts with colonies, islands, and players.

I understand from other threads that enmity in the at war section or placed on an opponent's province will affect your raids everywhere, always.

For example, if I attempt to raid an opponent's ship on the open seas and I have 1 permanent enmity sticker on their province, I reduce my raid die value by 1.

1. Should similar rules apply with colonies? If I have 1 permanent enmity sticker on an opponent's province and I attempt to raid that opponent's colony, do I reduce my die value by 1?

2. If I have enmity on an island that is also a colony of an opponent, does this enmity function the same way? For example, if I have 1 permanent enmity on an island which is the colony of my opponent and I attempt to raid my opponents ship/province, do I reduce my die value by 1?

I'm curious how this should be resolved. Currently, I have 2 permanent enmity on an island which is the colony of my opponent. I would presume that this enmity is specific to the island and therefore only affects future raids at ISLAND sites, good prices, etc.

If not, and this enmity is basically the same as permanent enmity at a province, is it also the case that it ALSO acts as Island Enmity and affects purchase prices, raid die values, etc?

My initial thoughts are:

1. Yes, permanent enmity on a player's province does impact raids at colony sites (reducing die totals, if enmity is in the at-war section also useable on offence)
2. No, enmity on an island which is the colony of an opponent is local to that island only and does not function the same as permanent enmity

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jastrow wrote:
Good Afternoon. I have a question regarding raiding and colonies.

I would like some clarification with regards to how enmity interacts with colonies, islands, and players.

I understand from other threads that enmity in the at war section or placed on an opponent's province will affect your raids everywhere, always.

For example, if I attempt to raid an opponent's ship on the open seas and I have 1 permanent enmity sticker on their province, I reduce my raid die value by 1.

1. Should similar rules apply with colonies? If I have 1 permanent enmity sticker on an opponent's province and I attempt to raid that opponent's colony, do I reduce my die value by 1?

2. If I have enmity on an island that is also a colony of an opponent, does this enmity function the same way? For example, if I have 1 permanent enmity on an island which is the colony of my opponent and I attempt to raid my opponents ship/province, do I reduce my die value by 1?

I'm curious how this should be resolved. Currently, I have 2 permanent enmity on an island which is the colony of my opponent. I would presume that this enmity is specific to the island and therefore only affects future raids at ISLAND sites, good prices, etc.

If not, and this enmity is basically the same as permanent enmity at a province, is it also the case that it ALSO acts as Island Enmity and affects purchase prices, raid die values, etc?

My initial thoughts are:

1. Yes, permanent enmity on a player's province does impact raids at colony sites (reducing die totals, if enmity is in the at-war section also useable on offence)
2. No, enmity on an island which is the colony of an opponent is local to that island only and does not function the same as permanent enmity

Thank you

1. yes you should
2. no you don't. island enmity is against the island not the player. if you had permanent enmity on a player's province it would affect raids on their colonies

initial thoughts...

1. both things here are true at war = offense, enmity affects raids against colonies

2. correct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To further clarify:
Enmity with a player will not affect endeavors on islands they've colonized EXCEPT for raising the colony itself (or the warehouse/structures on that colony).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Collins
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Willottica wrote:
To further clarify:
Enmity with a player will not affect endeavors on islands they've colonized EXCEPT for raising the colony itself (or the warehouse/structures on that colony).

Agree. This is covered in a rule that has to be unlocked.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Raid A Colony (ship present)
When raiding a colony, use the colony’s defense and garrison, not the island’s garrison. Use the governor’s enmity, not the island’s. You cannot raid sites on an inactive colony.

Raids against an island with a colony still use the island garrison and enmity but the governor’s ships may now act as defending support ships.

Editorial Thoughts
This rule would be improved by changing the third sentence to “You cannot raid an inactive colony or sites on it.” And the fourth sentence to “Raids against island sites (not colony sites) with an active colony...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except that it has been clarified by Rob Daviau that the back of colonies had a defense value of 2 missed from printing. Inactive colonies ARE supposed to be raidable (and easily, too)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Collins
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Willottica wrote:
Except that it has been clarified by Rob Daviau that the back of colonies had a defense value of 2 missed from printing. Inactive colonies ARE supposed to be raidable (and easily, too)!

Link please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25567488#25567488

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Collins
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Willottica wrote:

Thanks! Though that’s opposite to most of the threads here that inactive colonies can’t be attacked. Makes sense though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.