Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Artem Trytiak
United States
Campbell
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Q1: Is it possible by rules (haven't checked yet)? Is it fun?
Q2: I have group with 5 players, is it possible to play this game with 5 players instead of 4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al Cann
United States
Warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No reason to play with one character, solo. Play with 2 or more. I've played with 3 and it is great solo with three.

I believe the designer has indicated that you can play with 5, using all the monsters and positioning that are set for 4, but bump up the difficulty by 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Alaska
msg tools
Rulebook Page 16:
A single player can play the game as
a solo experience by controlling two
or more characters at once.

There aren't any official rules to support five players. With five players, some scenarios will be cramped for space. I would simply play with two groups, and split the parties up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Trytiak
United States
Campbell
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How hard is managing 2+ characters at once?
You need to keep 2 hands separated and keep in mind all possible actions characters can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot play with only 1 character. Some scenarios require 2 characters minimum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Somerville
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
ArtyomTrityak wrote:
You need to keep 2 hands separated and keep in mind all possible actions characters can do.

I'm currently running a solo campaign with three characters. No problem at all. The only differences is that each scenario will take a bit longer due to more options and extra enemies, and that you'll need a larger play area.
The upside is that you'll have more options, making it easier to find good synergies between characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Alaska
msg tools
ArtyomTrityak wrote:

From the rulebook, page 16:

Part of
the game’s difficulty, however, comes
from not knowing exactly what the
other characters will be doing on their
turn. Because a solo player has precise
information about what each character
is doing and can coordinate more
effectively, the game becomes easier.
To compensate for this, solo players
should increase the monster level and
trap damage by 1 for any given scenario
without increasing gold conversion and
bonus experience.
Additionally, if they wish, a group of players may also play with fully open information by increasing the
difficulty in the same way as for solo play. Playing with open information means that players can share the
exact contents of their hands and discuss specific details about what they plan on doing. This is not the
recommended way to play the game, but it may be desirable for certain groups.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Ey1i9Jh1WVXzd4X0pCaGFSTVE...

Search with "Ctrl + F"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kameron
msg tools
ArtyomTrityak wrote:

Q2: I have group with 5 players, is it possible to play this game with 5 players instead of 4?

Yes. Add 2 to the monster difficulty and it works pretty well. You need to use the monster deck for your 5th character and then create a separate deck for the monsters. Somebody on the geek made one you can print off (check files).

The only time it gets tricky is on maps that are intentionally very tight. Try to avoid those! Once I modified a map to make the corridors slightly wider to cater for 5; it still felt tight (as the map intended) but it was sensible at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Fontaine
Canada
flag msg tools
My main gaming group consists of 3 friends and I (4), however we have two others that often join and were very interested in Gloomhaven. So far, we've played a few games at 4 and most of them at 5 players, and I think it's very easily doable. Games are a bit longer, but we don't mind.

I know Isaac (creator) recommended increasing the difficulty by 2 (average level of the 5 players/2, rounded up +2), but so far we have only increased it by 1 and found it to be enough. We lost one scenario, but all of them have been incredibly close and for us it's challenging enough without being unforgivably hard. Tonight we played at 4 players at normal difficulty and breezed through the scenario, but I think it varies.

How to do it with 5 players? First, use the monster attack modifier deck as the 5th player one. As for the monsters, use this website: https://johreh.github.io/gloomycompanion/

Just enter the scenario number, your scenario level, and voila. We don't even use monster attack cards as this website simplifies everything. Smaller maps will get a little cluttered, but overall it works great .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Politis
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ArtyomTrityak wrote:
Q1: Is it possible by rules (haven't checked yet)? Is it fun?

The Creator has, unofficially, been said to have said playing with 1 character solo and 5 players are both possible.

Q1. To play with 1 character solo: set up for a 2p game, but reduce the scenario difficulty (but not rewards) by 2 and then increase the scenario difficulty (but not rewards) by 1 because you have perfect knowledge. So the Scenario Level chart becomes:

L | M | G | T | XP
1 | 0 | 2 | 2 | 6
2 | 1 | 3 | 3 | 8
3 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 10
4 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 12
5 | 4 | 4 | 6 | 14
6 | 5 | 5 | 7 | 16
7 | 6 | 6 | 8 | 18

It's also recommended you not do this, and just play the solo rules as outlined in the book. But if you insist, he recommended you pick a character with a large hand (tinkerer, cragheart etc.). And if you want, there's a video showing someone running through the first scenario with a solo tinkerer: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video...

Q2. To play with 5 players: set up for a 4p game, but increase the scenario difficulty (but not rewards) by 2. So the Scenario Level chart becomes:

L | M | G | T | XP
0 | 2 | 2 | 4 | 4
1 | 3 | 2 | 5 | 6
2 | 4 | 3 | 6 | 8
3 | 5 | 3 | 7 | 10
4 | 6 | 4 | 8 | 12
5 | 7 | 4 | 9 | 14

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Trytiak
United States
Campbell
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I will play solo with 2 characters and will modify monsters for 5ppl!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmad Siddiqi
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
At least one scenario I know of
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Clockwork Cove
is unplayable with one character.

We've played with 5 several times and increased monster level by 2. We also increased gold conversion in this case but not end game bonus xp, since, with five characters, there is less gold available per person but xp rewards are divvied out to each character. Worked well. Sometimes there was a bit of a traffic jam, but nothing unworkable, and we had one character who had a persistent summons, so we were six figures most of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sparr Risher
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ahmadms wrote:
Clockwork Cove

Having successfully predicted the mechanic in question based solely on this statement, I have only one thing to say... Summon Decoy

(but seriously though, I'll probably just house rule that corpses are sufficient)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Rockman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
ahmadms wrote:
Clockwork Cove

Would Angry Face be able to do this solo? What about Two Minis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pressure plates in those scenarios are only activated by characters.
summoned allies are not characters.
though I suppose, like anything else, that can be houseruled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.