Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
It would seem to me like the core of this games is quite similar. Granted, BML is 2p only, but I think that the to-and-froing aspect is common for both games. They also feature custom faction decks and deckbuilding (one game - during the play, the other - before play). I can see that they both utilize anticipation and calculating which cards the opponent already played.

Can someone who played both could tell me a bit more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wodzianski
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Painter - Player
mbmbmbmbmb
Fascinating question! I look forward to the response(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
It would seem to me like the core of this games is quite similar. Granted, BML is 2p only, but I think that the to-and-froing aspect is common for both games. They also feature custom faction decks and deckbuilding (one game - during the play, the other - before play). I can see that they both utilize anticipation and calculating which cards the opponent already played.

Can someone who played both could tell me a bit more?

They are both card games produced by FFG. The similarities stop there.

And the part about BB:TM being a card game is probably too constraining. To me there is nothing that feels similar in these games except maybe the back and forth of the ball (as opposed to the dragons) but the ball is just an aspect of play and not necessarily the main thing you are competing with. With multiple games going on, it's about maximizing what you have. There is a lot going on with the drafting and the upgrades that really puts BB:TM in a class of its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
I was under the impression that your goal im BB:TM is to win matches. The ball is sugar on top. This looks pretty similar to the scope of singular fight within BML.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
I was under the impression that your goal im BB:TM is to win matches. The ball is sugar on top. This looks pretty similar to the scope of singular fight within BML.

The goal is to be the player with the most fans at the end. Winning matches is somewhat conducive to that end, but there a number of ways to win fans.

One of the differences I should point out is that FFG no longer has publishing rights to BB, so unless something drastically changes, it will no longer be supported.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
There’s no difference in that regard, Blue Moon Legends is also discontinued and quite possibly also because of expired license (or poor sales).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. That's a really interesting question. I played Blue Moon when it first came out -- so I guess theoretically there is a chance it may have been subconsciously in the thought process.

However, Reiner Knizia's Battle Lines is a far more accurate comparison -- a game I played quite a bit. While I don't recall specifically calling on that as an influence on the design, it's more likely Battle Line was rolling around in there during development.

The big challenge was trying to create the feel of the tabletop game in campaign mode since I knew I couldn't recreate a single game experience and broaden it to more than two players. I think it feels more like a board game with cards to facilitate play, rather than a card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for chiming in, Jay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You did a great job of that Jay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ynnen wrote:
The big challenge was trying to create the feel of the tabletop game in campaign mode...

...in which you did a spectacularly good job. Kudos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b r
France
flag msg tools
I play both games and I love them. But they have nothing in common.

Blue Moon is better with 2 players while BBTM is great with 4 or 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
They do have a lot in common. You just need to step away from the game and look at the gameplay and mechanisms. But that’s not something everyone can immediately see. Obviously they are not identical. Now that I own both, I can see the similarities even clearer, although I agree that BB seems to be more fun with 3+ players. Both are great games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.