Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried this and its worked well. The first player for Chapter two is randomly determined. If any player in a round satisfies an achievement they get the bonus, like how Food Chain Magnate does milestones. This gets rid of the first player advantage (which is significant in a 3+ player game) for the second chapter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Pico de Regalados
Vila Verde
flag msg tools
Galahad to the Rescue!
badge
May the Holy Grail protect me from these evil deeds!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll be playing this game a lot more often before even thinking about any variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that the first player in chapter 2 will always have an advantage, all other things being equal. So there's no point in competing for any given achievement if the first player is also going for it. They will always get it before you do, given the same number of turns. I'm fairly sure it's exactly why the Food Chain Magnate milestones are ruled the way they are, to avoid this problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Pico de Regalados
Vila Verde
flag msg tools
Galahad to the Rescue!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in theory you are right, but the nature of chapter 1 is to ensure that things are not exactly the same. So that makes your assumption pointless. I understand your reasoning though.

Regarding that, in my first play (and only play so far) we found that the player who earned the most rewards wasn't the one who went first but the one that had built fewer cities. Having fewer cities meant that he spent less time in distributing tiles across all cities and instead focus on three. This technically speeds up the ratio of tiles per city which also speeds up the number of achievements obtained.

Had nothing to do with being first. Timing is important and programming in Chapter one is what allows you to calculate certain timings. Tough exercise... but that's what makes the game challenging and interesting in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I understand it could be an edge case. But I don't see a downside in playing this way, I think it feels better and more fair.

Thanks for your thoughts and keep them coming!

Yes fewer buildings seems better but that's weird as well, we'll have to keep looking at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Pico de Regalados
Vila Verde
flag msg tools
Galahad to the Rescue!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
Yes I understand it could be an edge case. But I don't see a downside in playing this way, I think it feels better and more fair.

Yes fewer buildings seems better but that's weird as well, we'll have to keep looking at it.

Precisely my point. Play often and try out different approaches before adding variants that will detract you from enjoying the game the way it is intended. Give it a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
jschlickbernd wrote:

Precisely my point. Play often and try out different approaches before adding variants that will detract you from enjoying the game the way it is intended. Give it a chance.

It's a process problem. I don't need to play it a bunch of times to see the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jones
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Check the Great Big Table podcast (http://greatbigtable.com), a podcast about expanding the board game hobby.
mbmbmbmbmb
The first player in Chapter 2 is strong, but it isn't a guaranteed win.

A bigger point swing can be seen in maximizing satellites , which has nothing to do who goes first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.