Popular Tags: [View All]
jamie erskine
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.
After interest through several documentaries on the Pacific battles during WWII, specifically with attention to aircraft carriers, and fighter battles in the air at sea etc, Im looking for a great game that plays off this scenario.

Any recommendations? Ive seen some old threads on the topic, but so many games will have been released in the last 10 years, I thought I'd try for an update.

I have looked over Field Commander: Nimitz. This looks interesting. I fond the pieces not so clear, making the look of the board a little messy, but Im still keen to try it. But is there a better option or at least some alternatives I should look into before deciding.

But Solo is key. I have several good war games for multiplayers.

I appreciate your time. Hope you can inspire me! cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Carrier was too much for me (but I'm no fan of
for-solo designs), but I think it's seen as the gold standard.
It feels a lot like what you'd be doing in a detailed Carrier wargame
opposed - outside of working your butt off to manage the AI as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carrier is the best solo experience for me that Enrico mentioned above me. There is also Tokyo Express however it is based on battleship warfare rather than carriers and planes. Both those games are not easy games though and have huge but very well written rulebooks.

Ps: Nimitz did not do it for me; there is no campaign but yearly battles in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

For what it is worth I found Field Commander: Nimitz to be very ahistorical. Normally I do not mind that (I am in it for the game, not the history lesson) but when US does not have forces on Philippines I start to wonder.

I am myself partial to Tokyo Express which is ship against ship battles without carriers. So it may not be your thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamie erskine
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks guys.

I don't mind the historical accuracy so much. As long as it basically sets the scene. I would pass on Tokyo Express as I am really keen on the carrier & fighter element.
The Carrier game I hadn't seen before. Looks to me like a looong game. I prefer to fit it under 3hrs so I can get a game in in one evening, after the kids are put to bed. Plus, it looks a little dated for my taste.
But of course, now I'm reading a lot of bad commentary on Nimitz. So I will keep looking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spak
United States
Spencer
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the Carrier suggestion, but it is a long game. Best solo CV game on the market, I hear that there is an iOS version for your phone now, I know nothing about it tho-.

Victory at Midway has a solo option,
Carrier Battlegroup: Solitaire, cold war era hypothetical, expensive now but a good game.
I liked Midway Solitaire, but the rules are a little opaque. The actual carrier operations aspect (land/refit/launch) is basically abstracted to a floating air base mechanic. There is an expansion game in the pipeline to move the system into 1943 and beyond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Fires of Midway has a solo option. I've not played it but the comments on the game's page are positive.

There is also Kido Butai: Japan's Carriers at Midway, which is designed for solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamie erskine
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.
I've saved a video of each example to a YouTube playlist. That'll keep me busy this evening

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to pick up on an earlier comment, there is an iOS version of Carrier, called Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal.

I've only played through some of the Tutorials so far so can't say much more, except that it's a lot cheaper and easier to find than a copy of the Victory Games original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamie erskine
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if only this was solo...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1957090458/war-room-a-l...

This has all the naval components I'd want. What a beautifully epic looking game. And only a few hours left on kickstarter.

Just gonna have to find some friends!

But to return to the solo topic, Ive decided to go with FC:Nimitz. It might have some AI flaws, but after reading through the variants, it isnt much that needs to be adjusted to make this the game it should have been. It just feels like the right game for me.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did watch videos and read reviews on all the games suggested, so I did appreciate the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NWS Wargaming Store
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a range of titles you can easily play solo and our Nights of Fury is specifically designed for solitaire play

http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/nawasi.html

Thanks
Christopher Dean
NWS Wargaming Store
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe Delnore
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carrier and Tokyo Express share the honor. I would go so far as to say they are the best boardgames, period, on the 1942 South Pacific carrier and surface battles.

Both games capture well the tension of these battles.

I don't think newer games have really changed the situation. The Fires of Midway is fun and can be played as a campaign covering all of the 1942 carrier battles, but is not particularly detailed. Silent War simulates what was arguably the decisive campaign of the Pacific War, but there aren't carriers or air battles in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

There's also this little gem Typhon sur le Pacifique that seems to be unknown to all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.