Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven F
United States
wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don’t like the engine hit rules for multiple engine planes,
i.e., a twin engine plane will start dying after it is hit for a second time (all speeds reduced by 1/2, plus the plane starts losing 1 additional speed per subsequent turn). This means a double hit on a twin engine plane will only be able to go a few more hexes (6 at most) before it falls out of the sky.

I propose 2 House Rules:

1) Simple Engine Hit Rule:
Each engine hit reduces plane's speeds by 1 regardless of how many engines the plane has,
i.e., a twin engine plane with 3 engine hits will have all its speeds reduced by 3.

2) Boom and Zoom Rule:
Planes that DIVED last turn, may use any momentum present at the beginning of this turn to do additional LEVEL or CLIMB movement.
2 DIVE momentum can be spent this turn to move the plane an additional LEVEL hex (round up).
3 DIVE momentum can be spent this turn to move the plane an additional CLIMB hex (round up).
NOTE: straight movement achieved via converting momentum into additional hex travel does not accrue momentum.

The effect of the above rules is, engine damaged planes that can only move significant distances by diving, can still eke out some decent level and climbing distances by proceeding each level and climb turn with a dive turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I worry about balance. I haven't played the game in eons (and I really want to get the game back on the table now that I got two copies), but when I did, I was alarmed at how hard it was to shoot down HE-111's due to the "wear down" damage model used in the game. Single engine fighters would be heavily damaged before just a single bomber in a 3 bomber formation was even close to being downed. I played the initial scenario three times and the best I was able to do was to get a spiral out of one bomber in one of the games. Meanwhile, all of my fighters were shot down. I know for a fact that those bombers would have been mincemeat. So, I worry that twin engined aircraft are even more bullet proof.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David ROBERTS
Australia
The Basin
Victoria (VIC)
flag msg tools
mbmb
Try not to fly too close to the bomber formations.

Remember the size modifier for the He-111 means that there is a good chance to hit them from as far away as 9 or 10 hexes, which gives them negligible chance of hitting you.

Also trying attacking them from a level above of below the formation. They won't be able to hit you at all, but once again the size modifier for the He-111 allows the fighter to score hits with reasonable odds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
chavez wrote:
Try not to fly too close to the bomber formations.

Remember the size modifier for the He-111 means that there is a good chance to hit them from as far away as 9 or 10 hexes, which gives them negligible chance of hitting you.

Also trying attacking them from a level above of below the formation. They won't be able to hit you at all, but once again the size modifier for the He-111 allows the fighter to score hits with reasonable odds.

It's been a long time, but I recall, the further away you are, the harder it was to do damage to the bombers and in this scenario you don't have a lot of time to nibble away at them before they leave the map.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.