Subject: simplified/teaching variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
c sanchez
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like many aspects of this game, in simplicity, speed of play and set up, social and competitive aspects.

I recently introduced this to my family who is (them) just getting into gaming. My daughters 9 & 11 are interested, my wife begrudgingly plays along . So I though to teach them about tile placement, set collection and drafting with this game. Quite simple, quick game:

Each player draws 7 single tiles, chooses one and passes the rest. (guess everyone could keep 2, pass the rest, but the game would be over super quick). Build w/the tile in-front of of each person- thus building your own city. Do this 6x, discard the remaining tile. Take 3 doubles, pass one, do this 2x, discard the remaining tile. Draw 7 tiles, choose, pass 6x- end game. Score.

This variant allows each player to understand the set collection and placement before adding the interactive/competitive component of the game.

Thoughts? other variants for younger players?

Will be introducing the regular play at our next family game night!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think, if people in your family have never played anything like Sushi Go or Carcassonne, then this will definitely help them understand drafting, set collection and tile placement.

But it does kind of remove the main element of what makes B2C unique - that you're *between two cities*... I suppose it could work for a first game.

I've found that the neighbour collaboration is easy to understand, as is drafting, but the complication of scoring can potentially be hard to remember for some non-gamers (even with the reference card).

(I've played Sushi Go with my 6 year old niece and 8 year old nephew a fair bit - they get drafting OK, but the 6 year old just picks the cutest sushi and doesn't really worry too much about optimising her set collection for scoring. One day she'll get it, but for now, it's just about having fun)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.