United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranior wrote:
I'm actually a bit shy anyhow and far prefer having formal meet up times to play a set game for meeting people. I find gathering people to play stuff in open gaming a little further out of my comfort zone.

I totally understand and respect this -- but the one thing I'll say for open gaming peeps - the ones who have the "want gamer" towers up on their tables are really happy when someone comes over and wants to play, learn, or teach. (at least I know I am)

I've found it to be a good way to make friends. I'm not really shy, but I'm not entirely extroverted with people I haven't met yet either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stein
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigtaulefty wrote:
Ranior wrote:
I'm actually a bit shy anyhow and far prefer having formal meet up times to play a set game for meeting people. I find gathering people to play stuff in open gaming a little further out of my comfort zone.

I totally understand and respect this -- but the one thing I'll say for open gaming peeps - the ones who have the "want gamer" towers up on their tables are really happy when someone comes over and wants to play, learn, or teach. (at least I know I am)

I've found it to be a good way to make friends. I'm not really shy, but I'm not entirely extroverted with people I haven't met yet either.

What Max said. They're usually not going to put a sign up looking for people and then scare them off. ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bordgamer wrote:
sigtaulefty wrote:
Ranior wrote:

What Max said. They're usually not going to put a sign up looking for people and then scare them off. ;-)

Unless it's you Pete.

Hope to see you there this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranior wrote:

To me the reason I would go to WBC is for the scheduled tournaments. I'd spend almost no time in open gaming, except for those periods where there may not be any tournament games I want to play in. (Not to mention I'm actually a bit shy anyhow and far prefer having formal meet up times to play a set game for meeting people. I find gathering people to play stuff in open gaming a little further out of my comfort zone.)

This sounds a lot like my M.O. I try to pack in as many tournament games as I can because I like showing up and finding knowledgeable players with copies of the game ready to play (and usually, kick my butt). I think I've played all of two games in open gaming in the last three years. The last couple years, I've made it a point to learn at least 2 or 3 new games before the con in order to fill in gaps in my schedule. Last year, it was Orléans and Race for the Galaxy. The WBC also offers a great demo system. Most tournament games are required to offer at least one demo at some point during the week. I've learned several new games attending the demos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that if I plan to leave on Friday or Saturday, I'll end up in the semis of something I have to skip. If I play to play through Saturday evening, I won't make those semis.

Quote:
The heat still guarantees you a competitive game of whatever it is with random opponents WHO ALL KNOW HOW TO PLAY.

And with a time limit on the game, and with someone there who can provide an official voice on rules issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranior wrote:
So to start off with, how many days to people usually go for? I'm sure there are plenty that go for the entire 9 days, and frankly I'd like to do that but...

1) I'm not sure I can get off 9 days for this

Most people at the WBC take a full week of vacation in order to attend. (They work M-F and have Saturday & Sunday off anyway) If your work situation prevents this, that is unfortunate--but I hope you can at least join us for a few days.

Quote:
2) I might have a wedding on the 2nd Saturday. (I'm in WI so that means I'd need to leave the convention Friday).

If it your OWN wedding...

Clearly if it is a close friend or family member getting married, go to the wedding. That certainly takes precedence.

Quote:
Therefore I guess I'm really asking if a lot of the semifinals of tournaments wrap up on those last few days. (Friday-Sunday). I mostly want to attend WBC to play a bunch of games (mostly Euros) at the highest levels of competition, and maybe reach the finals here and there. If I'm potentially going to be missing a bunch of finals because I might not et to stay the entire week, that will significantly dampen my enthusiasm for attending this year.

Don't worry about whether you can play later rounds if you enjoy a game, especially in a heat event. You will not hurt the tournament--the GM will have an alternate list ready. And actually GM welcome as much attendance as possible as it helps the event be retained for next year.

A lot have players play a heat with no intention of playing the later rounds, often due to conflicts with other games that they GM, have also advanced in or that they simply enjoy more. It is great way to play games as everyone knows the game and are there to enjoy that game at that time. It is also great way to meet new friends. It is also great way to play a favorite that I can't get to the table as often as I like.

Don't avoid playing an event because you attend a SF/F (which you may not qualify for anyway.) Play the games you enjoy!

Quote:
My other main question for now is how many events can/do people play in a day? From looking at past schedules this matters a lot on the length of events, so in my case it will be a lot of 2ish hour events I imagine. (Agricola, Terra Mystica, Acquire, Evolution, Dominion, 7 Wonders, etc would be some of my top games I'd like to get in).

That depends on the schedule and there will likely be conflicts. It depends on how flexible you are and how long each of the games takes. And you can also play game in Open Gaming if you have open hour. You can get up 10 games in a day at the WBC (depending on the length of the games.)

One thing to remember do plan to stop & eat at some point. Or go for a walk or a swim or...

Quote:
For now, my only other question then is when does the schedule of events usually come out? Depending on what days certain tournaments are actually running may also heavily impact if I should attend or wait until next year when I hopefully can attend for the final weekend.

The event schedules come out usually in June / early July. I would definitely not wait until then to plan your trip. Getting a hotel room/condo (especially if you are planning to share the room) or plane ticket (if you have to fly) will not wait until then.

Per last at the past year's schedule, of the events you listed, 7 Wonders, Agricola and Dominion were played First Saturday to Wednesday. Terra Mystica completed on Friday. Usually games find a comfortable spot and don't move much from year to year, but that is not guaranteed.

I hope to meet you there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have attended WBC on and off since 2009. Some years I have only been able to go for a few days midweek and some years I have been able to attend for longer stretches. I play a pretty even mix of open gaming and tournament gaming. I will say I am a pretty casual tournament gamer and I often choose to participate in games that I enjoy or am curious about rather than in games that I am more likely to have a shot at advancing. That said, I try to make any semis and finals for which I've qualified. I have had to leave before semis and finals that I have made in the past though and I have never felt like I created a problem for the GM and I have no regrets..

Personally, I would not let the fact that you might have to leave on Friday dissuade you from attending. You might have to leave before a few semis or finals that you qualified for, but you might have stayed all week and had to choose between semis and finals that overlapped as well. Composing a "perfect" schedule that allows you to everything you desire that week is nearly impossible. I tend to make pretty full tournament plans and then break them when I'm there based on the schedules of friends in open gaming, the desire for food/relaxation and just going with the flow.

Good luck if you decide to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:

Quote:
2) I might have a wedding on the 2nd Saturday. (I'm in WI so that means I'd need to leave the convention Friday).

If it your OWN wedding...

Clearly if it is a close friend or family member getting married, go to the wedding. That certainly takes precedence.

It is for a cousin, of which I only have two (smallish family). Personally, I don't really think it matters much if I miss it, and I'd rather miss it to attend WBC. But I'm sure my family and others might see it differently so it's a bit tough. They still haven't finalized the date though either, which is making my plans a bit tough. I'll get it all figured out though.

Quote:

The event schedules come out usually in June / early July. I would definitely not wait until then to plan your trip. Getting a hotel room/condo (especially if you are planning to share the room) or plane ticket (if you have to fly) will not wait until then.

Per last at the past year's schedule, of the events you listed, 7 Wonders, Agricola and Dominion were played First Saturday to Wednesday. Terra Mystica completed on Friday. Usually games find a comfortable spot and don't move much from year to year, but that is not guaranteed.

I hope to meet you there!

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm starting now to really get plans and figure out room sharing agreements. I plan to drive and am hoping to find some people in my area (Madison WI) that want to come as well. The more the merrier (and cheaper!).

It sounds like even if I am forced to miss the last few days it won't be a big deal though anyhow, so I think it's quite likely I'll be making it for most of the time. Looking forward to meeting many of you there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Pearce
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are definitely people going your way if you try to car pool. I know specifically of a couple that live in Genoa City that come every year, so they are out there. While I am missing this year myself to finally go on the Alaska Cruise that my wife has wanted to do for a while now, I hope that this year is just the first of many for you, and that I get to meet you when I make it down again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gmpearce wrote:
There are definitely people going your way if you try to car pool. I know specifically of a couple that live in Genoa City that come every year, so they are out there. While I am missing this year myself to finally go on the Alaska Cruise that my wife has wanted to do for a while now, I hope that this year is just the first of many for you, and that I get to meet you when I make it down again.

I figured there had to be people coming from even like the Twin Cities and stuff too that probably drive through, or individuals starting out from Milwaukee. Some way or another I should be able to carpool.

I do have one new question at this point--how does one go about volunteering to be an AGM? I realize it would be foolish for me to sign up as a GM in my first year, but from following this section of the forums for a few years I sense there's a bit of a GM/AGM problem. I'm just to sort of person willing to give back a bit and GM/AGM so I'd like to get experience this year so that I'd be better prepared to GM in the future. (And so I can submit an event form for Istanbul next year)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranior wrote:
[q="gmpearce"]

I do have one new question at this point--how does one go about volunteering to be an AGM? I realize it would be foolish for me to sign up as a GM in my first year, but from following this section of the forums for a few years I sense there's a bit of a GM/AGM problem. I'm just to sort of person willing to give back a bit and GM/AGM so I'd like to get experience this year so that I'd be better prepared to GM in the future. (And so I can submit an event form for Istanbul next year)

Post here and/or on Facebook with games you'd be willing to help out with. Any prospective GMs can contact you. Alternatively, many GMs repeat the same events, so you could reach out to them directly based on the contact info from the prior year event on the WBC page.

http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc17/previews_2017.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranior wrote:

The deadline to volunteer to run an event is March 15 IIRC. Typically, there's a last minute push to get people to GM the last 25-30 events in the 4-6 weeks beforehand, including threads on this Forum and the WBC FB group. Check out this thread, for example:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1732351/2017-orphans-li... Typically, GMs who pick up last minute games are looking for AMGs so that'd be a great place to look and volunteer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranior wrote:
I do have one new question at this point--how does one go about volunteering to be an AGM? I realize it would be foolish for me to sign up as a GM in my first year, but from following this section of the forums for a few years I sense there's a bit of a GM/AGM problem. I'm just to sort of person willing to give back a bit and GM/AGM so I'd like to get experience this year so that I'd be better prepared to GM in the future.

Assistant GM's have a sole official responsibility--if the GM is playing the event, rule against the GM if they are involved rules disputed. The GM is required to appoint two AGM's if the they are playing.

Anything else depends on the needs of the GM: Organizing set up of people who brought games, getting other players assigned to tables, entering data/calculating which players will advance, fill out the attendance roster, etc.

I don't ask much of my assistants as both events get 30-50 players per heat, I can usually handle that myself. But larger events, often need more help.

As for signing to become an assistant GM is simply asking a GM if they'd like help. I even ask people during the signups if they'd like to assist for that heat. (I may need one for Castles of Burgundy--my regular GM won't be there this year. (Have a great trip Glen!))

Quote:
(And so I can submit an event form for Istanbul next year)

This is somewhat bad form. What if the previous GM wants to continue next year? There is an advantage for the event if the GM is experienced: rules issues/errata, how the advancements are determined, etc, (Completely different situation if the GM announces they would like to retire from GMing the event.)

I think a better way is if an event does not have GM in the final few weeks of the GM sign ups (late February/early March)--especially in a game you enjoy--then sign up to run the event. That way you become a hero to the players by saving "their" event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:

Quote:

This is somewhat bad form. What if the previous GM wants to continue next year? There is an advantage for the event if the GM is experienced: rules issues/errata, how the advancements are determined, etc, (Completely different situation if the GM announces they would like to retire from GMing the event.)

I think a better way is if an event does not have GM in the final few weeks of the GM sign ups (late February/early March)--especially in a game you enjoy--then sign up to run the event. That way you become a hero to the players by saving "their" event.

Sorry, but I was under the impression that Istanbul has never been an event at WBC and so to submit it as a new event would require a willing GM to submit it for the trial vote (and then hope it gets enough votes). If there already is an Istanbul event and GM then I agree I have no desire or inclination to step on anyone elses toes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranior wrote:
rri1 wrote:

Quote:

Sorry, but I was under the impression that Istanbul has never been an event at WBC and so to submit it as a new event would require a willing GM to submit it for the trial vote (and then hope it gets enough votes). If there already is an Istanbul event and GM then I agree I have no desire or inclination to step on anyone elses toes.

No, you are correct. That is the perfect way to become a GM -- to champion an event by volunteering and submitting it for consideration and getting it voted into the trial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:

Quote:

I agree Richard -- but in this case, Istanbul was not an event last year (per the website) and it doesn't appear to be on the trial vote list for this upcoming year. link to trials here He'll have to submit a form early and have it voted in next year.

I have a copy of it - maybe by next year I'll learn it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This is somewhat bad form. What if the previous GM wants to continue next year? There is an advantage for the event if the GM is experienced: rules issues/errata, how the advancements are determined, etc

FWIW, this seems at odds with the commonly-voiced opinion that if anyone doesn't like the way a certain event is run, they should put in a form to GM it themselves.

Quote:
I think a better way is if an event does not have GM in the final few weeks of the GM sign ups (late February/early March)--especially in a game you enjoy--then sign up to run the event

And this with the commonly-voiced opinion that too many GMs wait too long to sign up and only do it when nobody else does it, which indicates a lack of commitment on the part of the WBC attendees in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Statalyzer wrote:
Quote:
This is somewhat bad form. What if the previous GM wants to continue next year? There is an advantage for the event if the GM is experienced: rules issues/errata, how the advancements are determined, etc

FWIW, this seems at odds with the commonly-voiced opinion that if anyone doesn't like the way a certain event is run, they should put in a form to GM it themselves.

Quote:
I think a better way is if an event does not have GM in the final few weeks of the GM sign ups (late February/early March)--especially in a game you enjoy--then sign up to run the event

And this with the commonly-voiced opinion that too many GMs wait too long to sign up and only do it when nobody else does it, which indicates a lack of commitment on the part of the WBC attendees in general.

I think that it is a testament to the quality of the people who attend the WBC that so many are willing to step us at the last minute to GM an event which would otherwise not get run. Last year I think there was only one event that ended up GM-less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.