Hide
5 Posts

Fallout» Forums » Rules

Subject: Swift Learner Perk rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry R
msg tools
Okay, the Swift Learner perk lets you level up and keep both SPECIAL tokens.

Great!

So, if I draw two SPECIAL tokens, and have them already, I would get two perks?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, unless other players already have them. Factor that in before deciding when to cash in Swift Learner. The best time to cash in Swift Learner, all else being equal, is right after jumping a big gap in your SPECIAL bar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry R
msg tools
Thanks, Christopher!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
Yes, unless other players already have them. Factor that in before deciding when to cash in Swift Learner. The best time to cash in Swift Learner, all else being equal, is right after jumping a big gap in your SPECIAL bar.
Nah, the best time to cash in Swift Learner is immediately after you've gained a level by the exact amount needed to gain the level - assuming that there are perk cards available for you to take if you have a lot of SPECIAL tokens. Swift Learner says, "Discard to level up." "Leveling Up" in the Rules Reference says that it happens when you gain an XP and you are on your rightmost SPECIAL token. So Swift Learner moves you to the farthest right SPECIAL token on your character board and then gives you one more XP to level you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
Nah, the best time to cash in Swift Learner is immediately after you've gained a level by the exact amount needed to gain the level - assuming that there are perk cards available for you to take if you have a lot of SPECIAL tokens. Swift Learner says, "Discard to level up." "Leveling Up" in the Rules Reference says that it happens when you gain an XP and you are on your rightmost SPECIAL token. So Swift Learner moves you to the farthest right SPECIAL token on your character board and then gives you one more XP to level you.

This is, of course, an example of bad logic. Just because you level up when you move past the far right, it does not follow that you move to the far right when you level up. You are taking an "if p then q" premise and taking it to equivalently mean "if q then p" which is not correct.

What Swift Learner actually does is allow you to go through the level up procedure without having to trigger it by moving past the rightmost space. Your XP marker does not move at all. The only advantage in using it when I suggested is that the tokens you draw may fill in gaps making your next level up take longer, but frequently it won't matter at all when you play the perk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.